Disastrous UI in 1.6

If they keep the half waveform, perhaps they should change the icon
from thislogo_small to this: deefbd9083c99c82bbf2dd3f873f52a49f5db881

7 Likes

It’s still there, but now it is only half-iconic…

1 Like

Then it begs the question as to why the waveform in the Zones is only a half waveform…

Roon%20845

I’m happy with the half waveform - as Mikael says, it has a reduced claim on real estate…

2 Likes

because it is not a waveform that’s shown there. It’s a mini version of a RTA. Well actually it’s a gif resembling a RTA

1 Like

I think it is not true to speak of half waveform. I interpret that now we see mono, i.e. the sum/2 of the stereo signal, as before we saw left and right channel, which normally is almost symmetric in the represented resolution.

This. You can instantly spot brickwalled albums, explaining why they sound off.

@Chrislayeruk

What?
The diagram has a resolution of 8 levels or so? How can you evaluate the mastering quality of an album from that?

And the vinyl rip with no track gaps — dare I suggest “edge case”?

I have never used the waveform diagram for anything, never even glanced at it.

Somebody suggested that the “half” diagram is mono, while the old one was stereo, showing channel balance. Was that true? Has anybody looked at it and done that evaluation? Has anybody looked at to the extent of saying that is definitely wrong and it is just a simulacrum of an oscilloscope?

Can I suggest it’s a waste of pixels? Including the ones here, discussing it?

#ducking

1 Like

From my wife’s CD:

From my CD:

Care to guess which one is brickwalled?

5 Likes

Evidence right here: :smile:

Wow. I had never seen anything like that.

Greetings - I did a word search for “cursor” and didn’t find anything.

Has anyone commented on the infinitesimally small cursor? It look like it’s 2x2 pixels. I don’t the rest of you, but my tired eyes have a hard time seeing it.

Frankly, I can’t remember what it looked like in 1.5, I’ve mostly used the Android interface in the past and just recently started using the Windows UI.

Not all uncommon with CDs put out in the last 10+ years. At least for “popular” music.

2 Likes

I originally raised this as a joke, teasing a bit, I have no opinion on this diagram and I assume people want it. But now I’m beginning to wonder. How is this information actionable? You’re not going to tell your wife she can’t play it? And relationships aside, if you come in one day and feel for some Underwood, you turn it on and see this diagram, you re not going to say yewww, brick wall and switch album, are you?

What is it for?
And if we know what it is for, what does that tell us about how it should look to be useful?

1 Like

No. A happy wife means a happy life so she can listen to whomever and whatever she wants!

To be actionable, I would need it to work with both Tidal and Qobuz. Even then, it is of little actionable value as I buy used CDs after already knowing what mastering I am looking to get.

I guess I would say I like to see the information even if I am not going to do anything with it.

Definitely!

2 Likes

Remember when car dashboards had ammeters and oil temperature gauges? Absolutely pointless. Too much information never needed. Same with this waveform bar. What is it for? Get rid of it.

Personally I wouldn’t miss the waveform if it went. You don’t get it for internet streamed content and if using the new Roon Radio that is mostly what you will be seeing, just a progress bar. A progress bar looks a lot neater and takes up less screen estate whilst providing all the functionality I need.

I am not to bothered about seeing if an album is brickwalled because what exactly am I supposed to do about it? Getting hold of a non brickwalled version is not an option (usually). Yes, older releases sometime have higher DR but this information is best gleaned from the internet, not a low resolution half waveform display.

:joy: May I suggest you duck now. It’s so easy to see what may be a very hot track from the wave and perhaps you should take a glance once in a while. The final result must be your ears though.
Seeing a hot track also leads me on a journey to look at the dynamic range out of curiosity, especialy if it sounds good too. All added interest for me.
I know my vinyl rip is an edge case, but it has been useful to me. Also if you want to say, demo the quiet bit in a song…
I just like the look of it also. Track time remaining is also great seen graphically as well as tiny numbers.
Long live the wave bar… :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I love the way you had to tell us that the Carrie Underwood CD wasn’t yours. :grinning::grinning:

2 Likes

I thought it was important!! :wink:

1 Like

One thing I find it very usefull for is the identification of long silences after a song. Happens quite a lot that I think the music stopped playing while it was just one of these dreadfull end of record silences.

5 Likes