Discovered Tidal MASTER / MQA Albums

Not to put a damper on things, but all of the MQA masters that I have seen are ones which have had hi-rez releases in the past. I won’t get excited until I see “new” MQA masters that have never been in hi-rez before. Some examples: Kansas catalog, Steely Dan titles (Royal Scam, Katy Lied, etc.), Supertramp Even in the Quietest Moments, John Mellencamp, etc.

Try The Faces, First Step, Long `player, A nod as good as a wink. I don’t think they were Hi Res, just great albums from back in the day.

1 Like

Is this really true? I’ve listened to a lot of albums where I wasn’t aware of a previous high-res release. Still, maybe it is; it makes sense, since the ones for which there were high-res masters were the easiest (and first) to be converted. Stuart said, though, in an interview I conducted and other places, that they intend to convert the entire catalog, including albums that only existed on analog tape. I guess we’ll see.

1 Like

The problem is that Stuart can say whatever he wants, because he is not the one doing the work or picking up the tab for the work. Given him the benefit of the doubt, the Studios can easily change their mind and just process already done Hi Res copies to save money.

Well there was apparently some sort of legal agreement, although obviously I don’t know the terms. Plus the head of WMG has been an MQA advocate for several years. So far, skeptics have been disappointed. Again, we’ll see.

1 Like

Just came across a real gem for those who want to compare MQA vs the non MQA edit. David Bowie - Who Can I Be Now, now has a ‘Master’ version, using a 2016 Remaster, and volume 2 is taken from the David Live album and sure enough Tidal now have ‘David Live’ 2016 Remaster as non MQA as well for comparison.

1 Like

So I selected all my MQA tagged albums (543) and added them to an MQA playlist. Pulled up the playlist, selected all tracks (6925), and exported. But each time I’ve tried, it only exports 15 tracks. I don’t mind sharing the playlist if someone can tell me what I’m doing wrong in the export.

Are you exporting the playlist as an excel export or trying the export the actual tracks ?

Tracks, since cumulative spreadsheet is in use.

Sorry, I’m pretty clueless on the whole sharing thing generally. Have shared playlists on another platform, but haven’t investigated any of those functions within Roon.

Sorry, I don’t think you understood. Let me re-phrase…

In Roon you can export 2 types of things

1. the actual files such that a COPY of your file will be made on the location of choice.

2. a list of a specific attribute of your library e.g. a list of albums, artists, tracks etc. Such list are good to view and manage in MS XL.

If you are trying to do 1) with Tidal content then there are no files to export as they are only streamed to your system.

Thanks Nick. Like I said…clueless, hehe.

I’ve been using the spreadsheet linked above to manually tag MQA’s, so I wasn’t looking to recreate that. @gmt asked if a playlist could be shared to the board:

So I thought if I could post an m3u or other playlist format file, it might be imported to another user’s Roon. I guess that’s not the intent of the file export?

At any rate, In my attempts to export, the progress window indicated 15 tracks were exported even though I had selected all 6,925 tracks and all were highlighted before the export operation. I can see there was an m3u file created but I didn’t inspect it in any way. Here is the file:

Other questions:

Can you import from a spreadsheet that’s been exported? (I was manually favoriting in Tidal the MQA files I wanted listed in the spreadsheet)

Is there another way to share my Roon playlist to the board or with someone else?

Is the playlist export-files limited to 15 files?

Thanks for any help,
Craig

I did some pretty extensive searches of my catalog and did not find very many that Tidal had in MQA that were not already available in hi-res…

Hi Res were the first to be MQA encoded.

Is anyone seeing any new releases in MQA? Or is it just back catalogue material? I’m wondering if I should bother going into Tidal when I see 2 versions of a new release to determine if 1 of them is an MQA version? Cheers!

Play one and look at the file size. The MQA are mostly 24 bit.

But then I have to stop listening to what I’ve already got playing! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I know, it’s less than perfect just now. This will improve, it has to.

1 Like

My question was more about MQA content than access, sorry for not phrasing it more clearly. I was wondering if anyone has seen any brand new music (other than on 2L, though I’m not familiar enough with that to know for sure if it’s new or re-released) in MQA? In addition to other labels coming on board and current participants releasing more of their back-catalog in that format, new releases would be another strong indicator of the foothold the format is likely to gain, IMHO.

Sure, there are new MQA albums. Craig Taborn’s Daylight Ghosts was released 10 February 2017 (today!) and is available in MQA and 24/96 at HighResAudio.

Not sure how many of those go to Tidal. Ghosts is ECM which doesn’t like streaming. Tidal is mostly Warner, right?

1 Like

The MQA is mostly Warner as they are the only big label to officially commit to MQA at this time. That, we hope, will change.