Discovered Tidal MASTER / MQA Albums

I doubt that anyone would create something so frustrating deliberately. It may not have been all that well thought it.

Tidal seems to have a history of doing this.

1 Like

If Tidalā€™s plan was to slowly introduce the tracks through the Masters section then all theyā€™ve done is release them in the wild first. Iā€™m assuming they will all end up in the Masters section at some point (or they will tag them). If itā€™s a case of always having to hunt them down then I would say that was a mistake. Would you have been happier only having access to the Masters that have been added to the Masters section? The glass is 3/4 full in my opinion and I can be a moaner too!

Added mainly 2015 remastered by Van Halen. Now we have both original and remastered at the same time.
Also added the studio album box set.

1 Like

I canā€™t find any of the Doors albums that are listed in the Google Spreadsheet.

Look under T, not D. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hardly a solution as it is apparent in his post that he found the entries in the spreadsheet.

The doors listing in TIDAL is a bit unusual with most MASTER records being on top.
But to catch them all you need to listen to all of them in TIDAL one by one.

Not as tedious as it sounds as you donā€™t need to wait for the album to start streaming before you can tell if itā€™s HIFI or MASTER.

Some albums donā€™t appear in the MASTER section but are still Master versions. For example ā€œJagged Little Pillā€. This appears twice in the regular section with one version being a Master (and it doesnā€™t appear at all in the MASTER section)

The Doors albums only appear once in the regular section and are not Masters. They do not appear at all in the MASTER section

I hope that all made sense :slight_smile:

Odd. I found JLP in the Masters section last night, which immediately made me stop my browsing and listen. :slightly_smiling_face:

U.S. account here.

Thanks, Andy!

Please add:
Clapton - Old Sock
Clapton - Back Home
Clapton - Clapton & Friends The Breeze

1 Like

3 Oā€™clock Blues, Clapton and BB King, ā€˜Riding with the Kingā€™.

Iā€™ve got a light on Behind the Sun as well.

James Taylor - Gorilla
James Taylor - One Man Dog

Lots of Maria Callas albums are MQA.

Iā€™m tagging the MQA albums and currently have 580, so considerably more than the number of ā€œMasterā€ in the Tidal app.

Hi. Iā€™m new here - have been using JR for quite some time, but am interested in using Roon and Tidal and streaming MQA albums (just signed up for trials of both).
So when Iā€™m in the Roon remote app and look at ā€˜Whatā€™s newā€™ in Tidal, I cannot find any reference to Masters titles as is mentioned in this thread. And if I find one, how do I know itā€™s an MQA version thatā€™s playing?
(P.S. Iā€™m in Canada)

You need to use the Tidal app. If you have a premium Tidal subscription you will find a section called Masters. Iā€™m not sure all of these are MQA, and there are other Masters that have been found that are not in this section.

When youā€™ve found a Master check that itā€™s MQA then favourite it. These then appear in Roon.

My account subscription says: HiFi. No mention of Premium?
Just looked at my Wyred 4 Sound DAC - I played 2 versions of the same album (Bruckner: Symphony No. 7 by Herbert von Karajan) I found on Tidal. One plays at 44K and one plays at 48K. Is the 48K the MQA version? Is this the only way to tell?
Iā€™ll try the app (iPad mini)ā€¦Got it running - still no way to see the section Masters. Please help.

Itā€™s the desktop app, not the mobile app.

MQA is not available on mobile devices yet.

Thanks - just installed the desktop app and found it.

Wow! This thread is busy! For those that missed it (itā€™s getting a bit buried in the posts and I canā€™t see a way of pinning it) hereā€™s a link to the Google Spreadsheet weā€™ve been using to track the MQA / MASTER discoveries.

Now at nearly 800 Albums

Andy,

Is it possible to add a ā€œWhen addedā€ column? This way it will be easier to see new additions to the spreadsheet.