Discussion about Apple networking gear

You can safely assume I

1. Know that

and

1. that I am describing my system and the settings I have.

Are you monitoring all cores when looking at HQP processor usage? Here is mine showing overall usage at 38% and then the usage for all 16 cores (and/threads) and you can see the 4 HQP actually utilises (HQP doesn’t use more than 4 cores) are nearly maxed out but the average load across the whole CPU as a whole has dropped to 34%.

1). yeah…

1. HQPlayer utilizes less processing power than Roon Server when Roon is downloading the song. After Roon Server has settled down once it has finished downloading the song, HQPlayer is using more CPU, but not much and I still have over 90% of my CPU idle.

2. Are you assuming we’re using the exact same settings in HQP?

I’m sorry if I missed this but have you run Disk Utility First Aid on your Mini?

I’ll say this again, I’ve said it many times before. There is some sort of timing issue with devices running iOS.

On my iPhone of often get a ‘can’t connect’ error, to a lesser extent on an iPad. The android tablet RARELY has this issue.

I can put the two devices side by side and the iPhone will have the issue and the Fire tablet will connect fine.

Having said that, it is much improved over earlier versions; that is I see it much less than I used to, but I do still see it. My solution is the kill the Roon app on the phone and restart it. That often resolves the problem.

2 Likes

you are seeing an issue but projecting that to be universal is incorrect. My iphones (various generations) and ipad connect every time - as do my android devices.

2 Likes

I used to have an AirPort Extreme as well but then bought a Synology router a few years back. My personal experience was that the Synology performs significantly better than the AirPort Extreme in both coverage and speed, and the Synology routers are by no means the best routers out there.

1 Like
1 Like

Spending good money on roon and HIFI is like buying a performance car…but if you don’t have a good network to keep it all up it’s like putting crappy retreads on that performance car and wondering why you can’t keep it going the direction you want when you push the boundaries of performance.

5 Likes

I spent some good $ on the same thing about 4 years go…a CAT-6 cable run out of my house, across the (flat) roof, and back inside to my living room, where my hi-fi rig is. Before that, I tried wifi extenders and powerline ethernet adapters, resulting in drop outs, disconnects from the core, and a lot of frustration. Now, my system runs flawlessly.

1 Like

I spent several layers of skin off my arms and hands, risked the wrath of Mrs D by knocking a whole in some plasterboard trunking and several hours lifting and putting down carpets. and floorboards… only to have to re-lift said carpets and floorboards when I realised I had left my phone under them (was using it as a torch). All just to get an ethernet cable upstairs to the listening room.

I wish I had paid someone ÂŁ/$200 to do it for me :rofl:

I then had similar fun getting a line to the front room and a line to the dining room so I have a little 5 port switch in each room where there’s kit that can take a cable rather than wifi. This has proved to have two benefits; first the kit that is hard wired is totally stable and downloads on Roon, PC and even things like on demand TV shows are lightening fast and second it has freed up the wifi bandwidth for the bits that need to use it.

3 Likes

Same Deal, except my house has conduit from a main server area to every room in the house. So, pulling or re-pulling is not such an ordeal. Each Run ends in a small switch with everything connected to it. Besides Roon, it makes everything much more stable and as you say “lightning quick”.

1 Like

Thing about old houses in the UK (ours was built in 1903) is that they were not built with any form of cabling in mind so it is always a mission working out the best way to get a cable from point a to point b as neatly as possible. Floorboards up, maybe drilling through the boards into the cellar and running it under the house that way, holes though joists even drilling through walls.

Next up is trying to get a few runs of 50ohm coax into the house for my ham radios without causing too much carnage! Could severely curtail my marriage if I get it wrong!

1 Like

My wife would solve that easily. Man and radio in shed, tadah!

There is still the problem of getting scaffold poles drilled into the side of the house and 100’+ wires draping around the garden. Just broached that subject - didn’t go well!

Think many have already said this.

The only wireless clients in my home are devices that can’t be wired. IOS 2 phones, 2 iPads, Lutron electrical switches, dimmers, thermostat, CO2/Fire sensors, etc. I have 43 clients in house when everything is on. That being said I have a Ubiquity Unifi networking system designed for hundreds of users, managed switches joined by fiber, POE wifi access points, camera security system.

Only trouble I get is reboot of ISP modem for internet access. (so reboot weekly on Sunday morning so rarely acts up).
Now when I was trying to do this with one managed switch and a top of line Netgear Router things were not well.
You get what you pay for I like the analogy low quality tires above bang on.
As for IOS devices having problems on WiFi negative in my home that has never been the case. I, hard reboot our IOS devices once a week just like restarting computers, Macs.
I have a rule with wife do not complain about your device until you have restarted or for IOS do the hard shutdown not a power down with slider to off.

Back to the music.
Stay safe

1 Like

Damn! Brave man!

1 Like

When my brother had the hobby ham radio was frowned upon in the house “Amateur Radio” if you please.
Probably changed from the 70’s.
I remember the family out in piss*ng rain pulling rigging as there was a big storm on the way and we didn’t want to lose the side of the house.

1 Like

Ham radio has been ham radio almost since it started. Now, ask ‘is that the same as CB?’ - now that’s fighting talk :rofl:

73 de M0SDB

1 Like

We’ve got ourselves a convoy etc :flushed:

1 Like