Distortion on NUC HDMI

Hi - I have lately started having severe audio distortion through HDMI output of my NUC ( NUC10i7FNH) into my Oppo UDP-205. To isolate the issue I plugged the HDMI directly into my AVR and the issue persists. I have also switched HDMI cables and that did not help either. Happens on both stereo and multi-channel audio. I can confirm that this issue is recent but I am not sure if its related to any of the recent Roon OS updates. USB audio works fine.

My Rock is still on Build 254. I have a done a re-install but never got it updated to 256.

My NUC HDMI audio settings are:

Signal path

rock status

Appreciate any help with troubleshooting.

I’ve moved your post to a new topic in the #support category where it can be better addressed.

1 Like

Try these one at a time:

• Disable DSP Engine (you should not have headroom adjustment in the signal path)
  • Channel layout: 7.1
  • Bit per sample: 24
1 Like

What does the distortion sound like? I had some issues with a MeLE Quieter3Q. I had to change some pipewire configuration parameters to solve my HDMI problems. It sounded like a severe slow down or wrong samplerate.
A reboot of the MeLE Quieter3Q solved the problem too.

It sounds like you might be clipping, is your clipping indicator turned on? This toggle is to be found in the headroom management section of DSP…this then would show red in the signal path if it is clipping… possible solution would be to turn dsp off or to lower the headroom even further from current -3db

Thanks a lot everyone for your suggestions. I will try these and report back. I have clipping indicator turned on and it never turns red. Strangely enough I have not made any changes to any of my set up or configurations and this problem has only started occurring recently. I don’t believe the NUC BIOS would update automatically and any change at the NUC level is only an update to Roon OS (build 254). I am wondering if I should try installing the early access build and see if that helps.

Hoping someone from Roon technical support would advise.

Hey @zenyatta80,

Following up on this issue, are you still running into issues with distortion?

As @Dennis_Mutsaers mentioned, are you able to provide more details around what the distortion sounds like?

If possible, can you share a timestamp (data, time) of when this issue happens specifically?

Does this happen when streaming local content, or tracks from Tidal/Qobuz?

Hi please see attached audio clip. Severe distortion and dropouts.

https://recorder.google.com/share/6f0818db-2da2-4039-9ed8-c02edb20e8b0

It happens for all content.

Timestamp is 3-Feb, 1519.

I had this happening when I wasn’t using an Ultra High Speed HDMI (HDMI 2.1) and setting the HDMI display resolution to 4K (60Hz) on my mini-pc. Switching my old HDMI cable (probably HDMI 1.4) with a new Ultra High Speed HDMI (HDMI 2.1) solved my problems.

This is the HDMI cable I am using.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08KSLP4KB?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I have already changed HDMI cable once.

I reiterate that everything was fine until about a couple of months back. So something must have changed through firmware updates.

@benjamin How can I update ROCK to one of the early access builds? I can only see links for Roon Server early access builds not Roon OS.

Until this is fixed I have lost all ability to listen to Multi-channel audio through Roon.

Your HDMI cable should be fine and not cause any problems.

Hey @zenyatta80,

A few follow-up questions for you:

Can you please test adjusting the Resync Delay in device setup to 10 or 20?

Have you tested different sample rates, and does it only occur after a particular rate?

Do you by chance have the option to test another core via HDMI output?

Hi - Changing rsync delay didn’t help. I can also confirm issue only occurs for Multichannel audio above 48KHz.

I am also seeing the issue for 2ch DSF (24bit, 88.2KHz).

I set max sample rate on the NUC to 48 KHz and everything plays fine now. I will keep it that way till a fix is found. But its clear that its a sample rate problem.

Unfortunately I don’t have another set up I can use to recreate the same signal path.

Hey @zenyatta80,

Got it. Thanks for letting me know! If possible, I’d be curious to see if the distortion occurs when plugged into a TV via HDMI. Or, if the HDMI output from another PC also exhibits this issue.

Let me know if you’re able to give either a try. :+1:

My same/similar issue only occurs with NUC ROCK Roon Core HDMI output (5.1 Surround Sound FLAC files stuttering via NUC HDMI output running ROCK) . A separate Ubuntu Sever Roon Bridge endpoint I just added (because of this issue) has no problem at all and neither does my Blu-Ray player or Apple TV. Are you able to test NUC ROCK Roon Core HDMI output with 24bit 88.2khz 6ch (or above) output to see if it exhibits the same issue @zenyatta80 are experiening?

Hi @benjamin I’ve already tried directly through my AVR bypassing the Oppo. Same issue occurs. I don’t have another setup I can try unfortunately, and based on @Bryan_Nieman’s post above guess the issue can be pinned down to the NUC. Again I reiterate that this has started occuring since Nov or so.

Hey @zenyatta80,

I think you’re correct in that it may be hardware related. After researching your issue a bit more, we were able to find similar instances of issues relating to the HDMI audio driver.

With that, there is a suggestion to Update BIOS version to 0042 with F7 update method twice to resolve the issue.

Let me know if you’re able to give that a try. :+1:

1 Like

Hi @benjamin I’m happy to give this a try however the article doesn’t list my NUC as being applicable for this fix. I have a NUC10 whereas the article says this is for NUC11.

Will I have to reinstall ROCK after this?

Thx for your help.

Hey @zenyatta80,

My apologies, our team did mention this when discussing and I had forgot to mention that in my reply. It would still be a good thing to test regardless.

No need to do a full reinstall, just flash twice as per the instructions above and then follow the instructions below on re-setting your BIOS: