DIY Speaker Build - Troels Gravesen's Poor Man's Stradivari

The FIR filters generated within REW are applied as convolution filters within Roon’s DSP engine (Muse). The benefit of doing it this way over PEQ is that you can also deal with phase and timing issues.

In short, you will get far, far better results in Roon.

This is the thread that explains it all and how to do it:

Creating convolution files for Roon in the new Room EQ Wizard (REW) with Inversion

There’s a great YouTube video by OCA and an in depth pdf giving step-by-step instructions. The last steps in Rephase (which I highly recommend) are the icing on the cake.

In my post COVID brain fog, I had the pdf open in my work laptop, and REW and Rephase open in my personal laptop to enable me to work it all out.

The results are nothing short of spectacular.

Before starting, I would recommend familiarising yourself with the suggested test tracks in the pdf. Then you have a baseline to compare with the final filters applied.

With my first set of filters, the TV on “Amused to Death” wasn’t placed correctly - it was to the left, but it wasn’t distinctly to the rear.

With the final filters and plugginng my way through thte full Rephase adjustments, it just dropped into place. There’s also the faint sound of crickets chirping front right.

The difference before and after on “Bubbles” was simply breathtaking.

5 Likes