DIY Speaker Build - Troels Gravesen's Poor Man's Stradivari

Respect sir - really respect!

1 Like

A little more progress today, a late start as we had the boy in the Thames first thing due to the heat:

I was also rudely halted by an expected, though very sudden thunderstorm. Weā€™ve had an unseasonably very hot, very dry spell here in England. Peaks of 29Ā°C the last couple of days. All of the doors and windows open now to cool the house down and enjoying that unmistakable post rainfall scent.

Second set of cabinet ends glued up and clamped:

I did the inside layer of the lids yesterday and here are the first carbon fibre layers flatted down with 120 grit:

6 Likes

Stan the Aquaman!!

1 Like

He loves to swim, yet when we took him to the river this morning, he was a little reluctant at first. Soon got into it though.

we would love to have those here in NL - stays dry for at least another weekā€¦

1 Like

It didnā€™t help much, just made it more muggy and sticky here.

We had a deluge this evening like weā€™ve never seen before. It demolished my gazebo in the back garden and this is a surface water manhole in the roadway near our house. Cast iron really does float!

1 Like

Yikes, where abouts are you. We had dancing rain late this afternoon but didnā€™t last long overall. Iā€™m in SE London

Maidenhead. I was working in Basingstoke today, so stopped off at our local Costco in Reading on the way home for fuel and some food essentials. The usual 20 minute journey home took an hour because of the flooding on the local roads.

Iā€™ve lived in quite a few places and even been in the Far East during monsoon season. Iā€™ve never experienced rain like it.

The river which ran through the back garden washed away our slate pathways and even gouged out the compacted Type 1 underneath it. The patio tiles are covered in a layer of silt.

1 Like

Wow, that sounds really bad and costly hope you manage to sort it all out. We got away lightly here in comparison.

The main cost will be my time in sorting it out at the weekend (a bit of digging, raking, Ā£50 hire of a plate vibrator and some pressure washing) plus the cost of a new gazebo - which was always on the cards anyway. I need something more robust and waterproof for woodworking in inclement weather.

1 Like

I was planning to build these after summer. Building EXCEPTIONAL speakers using MODERN TECHNIQUES - YouTube, should be fairly easy to connect a Roon Bridge from hardware from Hifiberry.

2 Likes

The video is exceptionally well made and he went a great deal of effort with the design. Iā€™d be curious as to how they sound.

Not sure I could 3D print my enclosures though!

Iā€™ll keep you updated about the progress once Iā€™ve started. Will be funā€¦

2 Likes

Iā€™ll post up some more photos soon. Xover boxes have their carbon skin mostly done. Top of the lids to do and the final resin coats.

Just been crunching some numbers with Benchmarkā€™s Audio Calculators. Not sure I really need 2 AHB2s in bridged mono with a 90 dB sensitivity speaker!

1 Like

OK OK, we understand, but where is Stan on this numbers?
(great work Graeme - just fooling youā€¦)

2 Likes

You do realise when these are done. We need to see your exacting measurements of their performance, and then pier reviewed. None of this subjective hogwash will do. :kissing_heart:

4 Likes

totally agree Sir!! :+1:t2:

:grin:

Indeed! First thing Iā€™ll have to do is re-measure so that I can update my REW convolution filters.

1 Like

Listening space details would be nice to see too :blush:

1 Like