Does bi-wiring matter?

I have finally got my Technics SU-G30 from the warranty repair center; so assuming all is fine, I will install and connect it as the main DAC/amp to my Mac mini (Roon core).

Just two questions:

• Do any of you care about bi-wiring/do you hear a SQ difference at all? I am NOT talking about bi-amping; just bi-wiring;

• Does bi-wiring have ANY impact on the impedance supported by the amp? Can bi-wiring overload the amp?

Thanks a lot for your reactions.

I am bi-wiring my Quad S2s with a Parasound Halo Integrated. I THINK I hear a difference, but it is so subtle it might be my imagination. BUT!!! I’m 70 y/o, and on my best days, can hear only up to 12.4kHz. So, if you are a good bit younger, you might hear more improvement than I. Note: I can clearly hear the improvement from upgrading fuses, which I have done four or five times. But bi-wiring is iffy for my ears.

2 Likes

Very small difference for me slightly better top end. I would imagine it depends on your speakers as well and cables also.

1 Like

And room noise, room conditionings, etc., etc., etc. For me, there would be too many more meaningful upgrades to do that I would not even suggest bi-wiring until you’ve done all the other upgrades.

2 Likes

Tks, guys - what about the impedance question? I do not want to see overload issues with my amp…

I do not see impedance ever being an issue unless you have very long runs of speaker cable.

1 Like

The bi-wiring can make a difference (which can be backed both by your ears and some science) if you are using different types of cables for woofer(s) and tweeter(s). Using the same type of cable for both does not bring any real (in your ears) improvement, SQ wise.

What you mean by “different types of cables”? I am using high quality, relatively thick cables for my bi-wiring setup.

Final question: do I connect the Technics amp/DAC directly via USB to my Mac mini as core, or to my iMac endpoint instead?

At least in theory, some cables (materials, construction) favors high frequency, others the low. It will take you a while and a lot of experimenting to figure out the best combination for your system, but you may also get to have some fun along the way (or not) and to learn something (or not).

I guess I will have to skip that part about different cables and simply accept the science of bi-wiring advantage, as shown by some studies. Yet I worry about impedance limits: does bi-wiring affect my amp’s limits or is there no difference whatsoever?

P.S.: By “science” I mean this - Bi-wiring Speakers: An exploration of the benefits -

The only truth (that a lot of people constantly ignore in the otherwise beautiful pursuit of a better sound) is that the only science that matters is yours: try and listen for yourself.

1 Like

Any thoughts on my question about impedance?

Ricardo,

Your amp has speaker connectors. What difference does it make electrically, if you go with one cable from the amp to the speaker? To the bass panel. From there you go with a short cable to the tweeter.

With bi-wiring you are not using the short bridge from the bass to the tweeter, you just create a longer bridge which goes from the amp to tweeter.

In every case you have a “Y”. Only the length of the legs is different. But finally it measures the same.

2 Likes

I’ve always bi-wired per recommendation of speaker manufacturer. If you can, and your speakers support it, there might be slight gains in sound quality so go for it. You paid for two sets of binding posts… go get all your monies worth.

I bi-wire my Totems, sound fine.

Tks a lot, guys - my Wharfedales have two binding posts, so it makes sense to use them in bi-wired mode as well; Peter confirmed above that impedance should not be impacted; so I will go for it.

He may try talking to the Cable Company for guidance, as they are one, if not THE, top cable experts around.

Final question: do I connect the DAC/amp through USB to my Mac mini as core, or through USB to my iMac as endpoint?

Where is your core?

In the headless Mac mini, which sits close to my main audio system in my office. The iMac is in the same office space.

P.S.: It’s amazing that nowhere in the Roon Knowledge Base can I find a clear, simple diagram of the recommended order of connections between core, USB, DAC, endpoints, etc.