Does RAM increase forever?

You can set it to 1 core or 2 cores, depending how much your machine got. Then it is working full power for some time, the fan blows, but it finishes much faster.

1 Like

Thanks, That worked. Do I need to do this every time I start Roon or is this a one time process. When I add new tracks does this process just update or start from the beginning?

Itā€™s a one time process that needs to get through all the music in your library when you first set up. Thatā€™s what takes the long time. After that, it will just very quickly run when you add a new album or track but only when you physically add it to your library. It does not run when you add an album or track from Tidal or Qobuz.

So as we all know this isnt related to first time runs at all, that initial process is CPU intensive as others have pointed out, this RAM issue is completely unrelated.

Now seeing this has been reported months ago it just concretes everyones lack of faith in what is going on here. Iā€™m just glad Iā€™m personally on a monthly subscription so can bail from a sinking ship if needed.

As Shaun has already said, this has NOTHING to do with the one-time library check; itā€™s a memory leak that has to be fixed ASAP. So letā€™s not misunderstand things here.

2 Likes

Just a +1, if I leave Roon server running it will eventually grow to fill RAM and then stop working. Mac OSX Roon Server, up to date.

I have set up an OSX launchd service to restart each night. Itā€™s the only way I can keep using Roon.

It should really be fixed.

1 Like

Roon, what are you doing? :laughing:

Screen Shot 2021-01-26 at 6.06.43 pm

More of a hemorrhage than a leak!

1 Like

please please tell me thatā€™s photoshoppedā€¦

Thatā€™s absurdly ridiculous - in 30 years using Macs, I have never seen any app suffer from such a gargantuan memory leak. This should have been fixed on day ONE of its discovery.

1 Like

If you are so dissatisfied why persevere ? Out of interest what would you use should you ā€œbailā€ ? Iā€™m always on the lookout for good software I havenā€™t tried

Memory leaks are incredibly difficult things to track in complex software . Patience is a virtue I am sure Roon are aware of it , its been mentioned often the past few years. If your software skills are up to it maybe offer your services to fix it :smiling_imp:

Rebooting does help , this is mine with a 175K library running on Windows 10, is this an Apple thing ?

c                   CPU, Memory, Disk, Network, GPU

Perhaps i need to change my name to @Grump but its taken ā€¦

Yea Iā€™m going to help fix software that I pay for. sarcasm

The reason myself and everyone here is so frustrated is ā€œpatience is NOT a virtueā€ with Roon so it seems. Iā€™ve come across no less than 10 threads when googling for problems with Roon that I came across in my first month, they are mostly 3-5 years old and still not fixed.

As for alternatives I have no idea, I came across Roon and ran with it but wonā€™t be able to stand for this level of neglect for much longer. There is 100% space for a good competitor looking at how this project is run

3 Likes

Without sarcasm out of interest is it an Apple issue, I havenā€™t monitored the threads you quote because I donā€™t have the problem I run Windows 10 on an i7, 7700 with 16 Gb RAM.

I am likely a special case as I reboot daily (I live in a high lightening area and donā€™t want to fry hardware)

A sensible alternative if JRiver but that also gets a lot of bad press .

Iā€™m running core on a linux server (poweredge with 2 x Xeon E5-2620 v4 CPUs and 96GB RAM) personally and also a bridge on linux (NUC).

Being the most common enterprise and embedded server type I would assume this would have been their starting point but it does seem theyā€™re running it using some kind of Wine type emulator facepalm, but Iā€™m not 100% on that I only took a few minutes looking at the systemctl unit

Nope!
I expect itā€™s more likely to be a leak exacerbated by some runaway system process. OS was still working fine, and I have only 32GB RAM, so even with that exhausted I canā€™t see how even swap would grow that large. Amusing though huh?

Thereā€™s a long outstanding problem with Roon on Macs, several threads reporting fans ramping up after a few hours, but crickets from the Roon team. Iā€™m sure theyā€™re working on it, and Iā€™m really hoping v1.8 will fix things, but their policy of silence is deafening - and not entirely comforting for paying customers.

3 Likes

Also here my question:
Occurres the memory leak only on IOS and Linux, but not on a Windows?
Roon Core is not a native app for Linux and IOS, so itā€™s using mono, which can be the problem.

1 Like

Bump again for visibility going into 1.8. Test with large libraries and look for memory leaks over the course of days to weeks on MacOS servers please Roon folks! Thank you.

Noticed this lately. Any update on what is going on or why itā€™s happening?