Does Roon care about non-streamers anymore?

It’s funny you should mention Chick Corea. Granted he has an amazing catalog, but wouldn’t you want to check out his 2019 release “Antidote”. It’s hot and also new.

1 Like

Well, it is ambiguous which of the two things speed_racer wrote that you responded to as lazy, etc. You quoted him:

That was in response to you saying

He did not say he didn’t like new music, just “today’s pop music”. But to the topic at hand (streaming) he said he used it for a different use case than you, for finding old music instead of new music. You’ve insulted him and others seemingly because he doesn’t like today’s pop music and streams to find older music instead of new music.

Are we having fun yet?

-Eric

1 Like

Already have it. I know it’s new, but didn’t know it was hot!

Have I established my bona fides yet?

1 Like

The thing is… I think most Roon users aren’t like this. Most subscribe to streaming services (not all, but an overwhelmingly large number do), most have new albums in their libraries (last 10 years), and most listen to new stuff all the time (last 5 years). I don’t think they actually think that new music is all hip-hop/rap/crap-pop.

4 Likes

:slight_smile:

[post must be at least 10 characters]

@ezman, others also interpreted his statements the way I did… see:

In the subsequent dozens of posts, I continued to clarify my viewpoint on “lazy/closed-minded” to make it more clear that it does not apply to non-streamers (btw, @Speed_Racer is a streamer) … I believe this post, which I gave as a reply to you did the best job:

1 Like

The only indisputable truth in this whole benighted thread.

3 Likes

I’m neither taking the younger person’s position

• My parents’ old music is crap, new music is better

nor the older person’s position

• All this so-called “music” kids listen to today is crap

We can get out of this straight jacket by recognizing that time is circular. For more, watch the movie “Arrival”.

I’m just objecting to having my habits, which seem to be similar to speed_racer’s (exploring old music, limited streaming) labeled lazy and closed-minded.

-Eric

2 Likes

then from the horse’s mouth: be assured that they are not.

:horse: :musical_note: :horse: :musical_note: :horse:

2 Likes

That’s not my interpretation of what is said. Disregarding new music regardless of genre, without exploration, is lazy and closed-minded.

I’m finding new music all the time and much of that which is new to me is in fact “old”. Presently I’m enjoying Michael Franti, a talented musician and lyricist. Not willing to listen to his music because it is labelled ‘rap’ is closed-minded. Period.

3 Likes

I see my excitement for new music labeled “the younger person’s position”.

At 70, in the corona virus discussion I’m classified “elderly” and will not be prioritized in the triage.

I better enjoy my new music while I can.

3 Likes

Ok, time to take a break from this thread and enjoy the music… as @David_Gibson recommended above, I’m going to give this recent release a listen.

1 Like

What music a person likes to listen to is totally subjective. It’s perfectly OK if some prefer to listen to 1960’s music while others like cutting edge 2020’s music while others like it all. This thread was about Roon’s efforts to improve the music listening experience for non-streamers. What music you listen to is an “off-topic” distraction and an insult to many existing or potential new customers.

3 Likes

Quit digging @danny

People who like to listen to their older music collections or fill in their collection streaming older music are not lazy. :smiley:

2 Likes

I never said they were… please read the entire thread… I also spent over half my posts saying exactly otherwise.

In a couple of your posts within the thread you did imply that. The words were yours. Being lazy is a character trait. FWIW, being set in your ways might have been a less offensive way to put it. You may have known what you meant, but it came across course and offensive. So be it. I’m not offended, just surprised you didn’t clear it up sooner.

Cheers. :smiley:

4 Likes

… but the interpretation was yours. I clarified since then, yet you continue to hang on to your incorrect interpretation.

also, “digging” implies I keep doing it more and more, which is obviously not the case… once the incorrect interpretation was identified, I did my best to clarify.

1 Like

OK, fair enough…you’re sticking by your words which is fine.

I love Roon, and am grateful it works well.

2 Likes

I like the COO’s straightforward temperament! I think he meant well.

1 Like

I still don’t like the ‘lazy’ term even in the intended context. I found it insulting and over-combative towards people who hold a perfectly valid viewpoint or have certain preferences. I think it was a verbal over-reaction to a perceived unjustified criticism from one individual, which widened the critical response to others who might have certain views about what music they like. The ongoing robust defence of it simply deepens my feeling about it. Hey, I hope my chiming in on this doesn’t result in me getting mysterious ‘technical problems’ :grinning:

5 Likes