Does Roon really require another setup for another login on Windows 10?

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10/Asus K501UX/Roon V1.7 build 528

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

KEF bluetooth

Description Of Issue

Roon got installed on PC by say “user1” and SW resides in C:\Users\user1\AppData\Local\Roon - there was no option for choosing installation for all users, so …

When logged as “user2”, the only way I found for getting access to Roon application was in creating a shortcut to the above installation path. Then, when invoked, Roon goes through full setup, although everything has already been setup on the system (music library, Qobuz access, and so forth). I would prefer to avoid having to manage as many setup as users, and I am wondering how I could get one single Roon installation shared by all users on our three PCs all sharing our same home network ?

Regards,
Jean-Louis

If you mean Roon as a Control point, then you have to install Roon on every machine that you want to control it from, in your case that would be 3 machines.

The same is true if you want each machine to act as a unique endpoint.

As for multiple user accounts on any particular machine, I believe you still have to install Roon for each account, as there is no option to install for all users. Not dead sure about that, however. Other people will chime in.

Of course, no matter how many Controls you have Roon Core can only run on one machine.

Hi @Jean-Louis_Guichard,

Roon is installed in the User > AppData > Local directory and there is no way to change the installation location so you’d need to set up Roon for each user.

You’d need one machine running as your Core machine and then other machines will connect as remotes to that Core. You can learn more about that here.

Thanks for the answers.
Yes, I am already running core on the music server, and control on PCs. My concern is to avoid having to install Roon control for every user on every PC. It seems Roon (as control) can only be installed and setup for one and only one user at a time, so … well, that’s the way it is; I am a bit surprised by this limitation, as I expected some means to somehow workaround it.

It’s a design decision by Roon Labs to install in the user’s AppData folder, rather than the Program folder. See this post:

OK, I understand better now. Thanks for your response.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.