Downgrade If I dont Like 1.8

@chrislayeruk
Hi Chris,
I would have been so happy if Roon had just kept 1.7 but I understand from reading your many posts over several threads on the 1.8 explosion that this is not possible. Fair enough, I accept that. I hope that I am not kicking a dead horse and that my suggestion is different enough to merit consideration. If not, no sweat, I gave it a try.

Would Roon consider a legacy basic Roon separate from the main evolving music serving world? Not 1.7 with the impossible business logistics of maintaining 2 complicated systems, but 1.7 stripped down to require negligible maintenance. Call it Roon Basic that lets me shuffle through my entire library, add music, edit my library and a few more basic features for those slightly less Luddite affected than me. Roon would promise no updates except those absolutely essential to fit in with the evolving tech world. No UI improvements that might be better, but this old dog would have to learn a new trick. I donā€™t do well with change. No enhanced features that might set the tech world on fire but I wonā€™t use and would just clutter up my simple use of the system. No upgrade costs to Roon other then the hopefully low cost of providing a simple alternate system for some of the customers. All the techies can go to town on 1.8xxxxxx.

The 1.8 could very well be a huge improvement over 1.7 but I felt devastated that I could no longer shuffle through my entire library. Apparently that is a bug that is going to be fixed but until I actually see the fix I feel very anxious that my 98% use of Roon is up in the air.

The UI changes could very well be improvements that are making most users very happy, but they are no better for me and I have to find the hidden things all over again. Iā€™d rather listen to my music than learn how to control it.

The enhanced features of 1.8 might be fabulous to some/most customers but I will never even look at them and they will irritate me when they get in the way of my simple use.

My ancient PC used to control 1.7 just fine, but the ancient video card wonā€™t work with 1.8. That is absolutely fair enough and no criticism to Roon as neither HP nor Intel are supporting this card, so I canā€™t hold Roon to higher expectations. But that old work station still does everything that I need to do there, and it was nice to be able to control my music from it rather than having to get up to go to one of the newer gizmos.

I really loved 1.7 even though I only used 2.6% of itā€™s potential and was delighted to pay my lifetime subscription for that 2.6%.

Of Roonā€™s 100,000 customers I might be the only Luddite, but if there are more than just me, then this would be an great service for us. If Roon can accept the horrible reality that I use their Ferrari just to drive to church on Sundays at 10 mph under the speed limit. But they can show off their brilliance on the continually evolving improving main Roon. Please rather than getting hung up on a few specifics, consider the broad concept.

In anticipation of some replies, I am 70 years old, I still have my slide rule and abacus, but strictly as back up in case of power failure, but I have an Audi TT S Type with the 3.2 and a KTM Adventure 1090R. I was really ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  when my province legislated to impound a vehicle for going over 40 kmph over the speed limit. I dropped my land line in favour of a mobile 22 years ago.

Aloha,

8 Likes

Too bad this doesnā€™t help get you the iphone/ipad app.

Yeah, it would have also saved me a lot of time if Iā€™ve had that .ipa. But since iMazing seems to always create those .ipas by downloading the current release from the App Store it wasnā€™t possible anymore after the release of 1.8.

You really do need to ensure your Roon Core is up to specification to get the best from the Roon experience.
In these days thatā€™s not so financially onerous relative to Hi Fi prices.
Not do do so, is like building a house with poor foundations, it can be as pretty as you like, but it will fall down.
Roon have said they will not support old platforms indefinitely, so the idea is mute.
I believe I read that they are looking into the issue about shuffling your complete library. If so, that will be fixed.
Roon is moving forward and eventually we all move forward with it. Reporting issues and bugs all helps the team to improve things. They have a vision for Roon and clearly want us all to utilise Roon and enjoy it.
Also Roon have said that itā€™s never done as life doesnā€™t stand still, especially in the digital world.
What happens when Roon move to version 2? Will you still want to stick with 1.7 if thatā€™s even possible?
I understand that change is not always welcome, but adapting keeps our brains Youngā€¦ I am 62
Good luck with it allā€¦

2 Likes

This is fantastic. Iā€™m embarrassed to say that Iā€™d never used this beforeā€¦Unreal!
I used the image from September 13th 2020 and was able to download the .exe

Thanks so much for your help in securing this.

1 Like

do you have version 710 server file for windows 64 bit can you send me

Youā€™re very welcome, itā€™s a wonderful and vital site in the internet age.

1 Like

One more question, if I mightā€¦This will not work if I back up my database on build 710, correct? I would have to start over? Thanks!

FWIW. I uninstalled 1.8. Found a version 1.7 on my hard drive and installed. removed 1.8 from my Android tablet dedicated to Roon. installed APKPURE on my tablet, which allows me to sideload Roon 1.7 for Android. You will find that in a search for Roon in APKPURE, other versions. BE SURE to select ā€œask before downloading any updatesā€ in the ā€œaboutā€ section.
Much happier. May look at 1.8 in the event Roon decides to do a proper update and give the paid user some selection in the functions, good and/or bad, of the program

5 Likes

Sorry for the delayā€¦

Just to clarify, you are currently on 1.8, but have a backup from 1.7 (build 710) which you want to restore in a new install of 1.7 (build 610)?

If so, I donā€™t see why it wouldnā€™t work, builds of each major release should be compatible. In all caution I might also backup the current 1.8 data.

As long as you have backups, I donā€™t see any harm in experimenting (apart from time employed).

Usual cavets: Iā€™m not connected to Roon; tinker at your own risk; etcā€¦

1 Like

I had the same question. @BlackJack linked to this for an answer.
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/restoring-v1-7-backup-on-v1-8-core-server/142747/2?u=slim_fishguttz

1 Like

Iā€™m a Roon fanboy but Iā€™ve decided not to upgrade YET to 1.8 because the first rule of upgrades is never upgrade to first release haha :laughing: - but you are right, adapt or die as Darwin discovered is etched into our very (musical) DNA. Frankly Iā€™m moving onto solving other audiophile challenges like macallan 18 or Glengoyne 21 this evening!
Cheers :beers::tumbler_glass::tumbler_glass::tumbler_glass:

2 Likes

I donā€™t know how to reply to multiple folks, so, Iā€™ll throw an @ to @xxx here as well.

Yes, @SimplicityCompass , I have a backup of my database from 1.7 (build 710). My core was updated to 1.8.

Due to the solution youā€™ve provided me, I now am grateful to have a Roon.exe for 1.7(build 610) that will now have to serve as my new ground zero. I did search, but, was unfortunately unable to find one for 1.7 (build 710) after we last spoke.

Hi @xxx ! I donā€™t doubt that you can restore a database used with an earlier version of Roon to overwrite a core now running 1.8, but, I am a bit skittish right now, because I did have a prior nightmare sometime around 1.5 or 1.6 trying to restore an older backup to a mismatched core. In my case, the database restore did not restore the actual core to an earlier version number. I have no doubt that others have probably had more success than I did.

Yep, I tried to find the last 1.7 build, but also no luck.

I think you should be OK restoring a 710 backup into 610.

Builds 667/710 donā€™t seem to alter the database in any reported way:

1 Like

ā€¦ at that time we will all hoping they kept in mind our wishes while producing the new releaseā€¦ Iā€™m ti and to be honest I find really difficult to adapt to sentence like those you can find in the Chinese biscuits of fortune

1 Like

ā€¦ the bug is that they do not take in consideration our wishesā€¦ in any case Iā€™m still with 1.7

ā€¦ rightā€¦ so give me with the product I had at the time of the contract and leave me in peace without useless numbers (just for example)

ā€¦ Iā€™m just jokingā€¦ I know what you meanā€¦

Hey ROON folks, yep 1.7 is dead i can deal w/ that. Problem is that 1.8 is also DEAD, donā€™t worry about the folks saying nasty things, just know that 1.8 is DEAD too and keep going about working as hard as you always do to please bring the music back, i donā€™t mind payingā€¦i do it happily, but please be aware that 1.8 is dead tooā€¦yep, dead, not working, capooot, no bueno, ickky, yuk, dead.

I think youā€™ll find that for the huge majority of users neither 1.7 nor 1.8 are dead (whatever that means). You need to tag @support with your specific setup and issues and Iā€™m sure they will be able to help you.

1 Like