Downloading music to ARC is slow

If your on Wi-Fi it doesn’t touch the web it’s local network traffic.

Oh really? I didn’t realise, as I installed it before I’d forwarded the ports and it didn’t pick it up. Maybe early access issue?

I had quite some time before my port forwarding worked due to ISP issues, but I used ARC happily on wifi.

Downloads were slow from day 1 of ARC (though I was always on earlyaccess before it was public), at least for the people who complained, and I have never seen anyone write “fast for me”, including users on the production channel.

Ports are only needed for outside access not in. It will tell you it can’t connect as its doing so from an external connection from Roonlabs but it will work on local network without the port open just fine.

Roon Arc is broken for me when downloading tracks. Downloads freeze after just a few tracks. Tracks have also ended up corrupted. On latest version for iOS and my core. On same wifi network as core and having super fast connection speed. Have reinstalled app to no avail. Anyone have a fix?

Yeah this isn’t working as well. Not very reliable.

Mine took about 90 min to download one DSD album and during that time the iOS app crashed about 5 times. This is the main feature I want Roon for is playing DSD albums on the go. Otherwise Tidal and Qobuz do just fine for offline files.

This is also my experience and it’s seriously baffling that in this state the release found a way to production.
Just today I wanted to download 2 albums before getting on my flight. It took about 20 mins in 4G full bar (which I had to keep the screen manually on all the time) and wasted 25% of my battery (100% health) during which my phone could have been used as a space heater.

Having Roon ARC, being able to listen to the library on the go is great and all, and I understand if they focussed on live playback functionality and experience rather than offline experience initially, but at least it’d be great to get an acknowledgement from the team that an improvement is needed at this point.

2 Likes

Cellular I would expect it to be slow as your reliant on your ISP and server speed at home plus the overheads of a cellular network, we are all talking about Wi-Fi and mainly at home.

If you connecting via 4G the bars on your phone have zero to do with its bandwidth they are for the rf signal only which is no indicator of good data speeds purely a decent phone signal the two do not go hand in hand especially at an airport where there will be major data utilisation. That all said arcs slow download speed won’t help the situation whatever the bandwidth you get.

Fair comment on cellular, but my disappointment is not just the speed. The UX of the download procedure is just as problematic with Wifi at home as well.

If the download can happen in the background, without me having to keep the screen awake manually all the time and the phone stays in my pocket without burning my jeans and through my battery, I’d be content with it taking 20 mins on cellular. Would still expect Wifi to be much faster of course…

Oh yes that’s a whole other issue in itself.

same experience here

Wi-Fi or cellular it’s slow and unreliable. I don’t think this Arc portion of Roon is a good idea.

don’t use it then, slowness won’t be an issue then either.

Yeah I haven’t used it much. But I I have streaming services I use. But one would expect a feature to at least work.

You can’t download tracks from streaming services in ARC.

I’m not really sure what point you are trying to make in this thread? It’s about people seeing slow download speeds for their tracks in ARC.

If you have a more general problem with ARC you should raise a question with support. Plenty of people have it ‘at least’ working! But then again you don’t think it’s a good idea at all…

Not streaming tracks (I know you can’t download those) my personal library that’s on Roon I cannot access. Literally have the same issues people on this thread are having. That’s my point, it’s an issue that needs to be addressed.

If it works for a small fraction of users that’s not sustainable. Remember we are a small audience.yes I have mentioned this everywhere in this group. My intention was to offline some music to my phone on Roon arc (since my network can’t port forward) but that has since stopped operating,

Do you have a solution to this?

I think you have a different issue. The people in this thread have the issue that the downloading is simply slow, but once the files are downloaded, it works.

If I interpret your many posts in various threads correctly, you seem to be having the issue that the downloaded files are corrupt / cannot be played. This happened to several people when ARC was new, me included. However, several people reported that this seems to have been fixed, and that’s my experience as well. It does require deleting and re-downloading them, though. I did this before Christmas and so far my 30 GB newly downloaded files have all played fine, as far as I tried them.

This was also stated here by Roon support in one of your threads. I don’t know if after this you tried again with fresh downloads, as you didn’t answer anything:

If it still happens with fresh downloads, it is best if you open a new support thread and answer the questions. Complaints about ARC scattered across lots of arbitrary threads won’t get it fixed

2 Likes

I’ll second what @Suedkiez said too… download corruption was terrible for a while, then they said they fixed it, and it’s been great (albeit ridiculously slow) since then for me. If you’re still facing that, that sucks, I’m sure they will be glad to engage. But I think right now we may be unfortunately conflating two separate issues - speed and corruption.

1 Like