Dragonfly Red Audioquest

I want to use Roon to drive two different systems.

I now have the HDMI port going into my Marantz AV8801. Works well.

I would like to use one of the USB ports to connect to my NAD CI940 using a Dragonfly Red DAC. When I do so, I get inconsistent performance. Is there something I am not doing correctly?

Thanks.

Tim

Hi @Timothy_Good ---- Thank you for the post and sharing this observation you have made with us. The feedback is greatly appreciated!

Moving forward, to help aide in our understanding of this behavior you are reporting may I very kindly ask you to please provide the following information:

• An expanded description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

• In your post you mention the following:

" I would like to use one of the USB ports to connect to my NAD CI940 using a Dragonfly Red DAC. When I do so, I get inconsistent performance. Is there something I am not doing correctly?"

• Can you please provide some more insight into this observation you are making? What sort of inconsistencies are you noticing?

-Eric

My setup is Nucleus to Marantz AV8801 via HMDI for the main output to the living room.

I also have a NAD CI940 to drive speakers on the patio. I am using a Dragonfly Red from the Nucleus USB port, then to a Audioquest 2m Golden Gate interconnect, 3.5mm mini to double RCAs.

The Dragonfly DAC works when plugged into headphones but when DAC is connected with the 3.5mm to RCA cable it does not output the sound to the amp for the auxiliary sound system.

Hi @Timothy_Good ---- Thank you for the the follow up and providing the requested information. Both are very appreciated!

Continuing forward, I ran a quick test here at my desk using a similar setup to yours:

Core = NUC w/ROCK (v1.5)(B339)
Endpoint = Dragonfly Red > 3.5mm to RCA > Adcom amplifier

With the above configuration in place I had no issues when playing back to the Dragonfly + Adcom endpoint. I know you mentioned that the DFR worked when used with headphones but when it is connected to the 3.5mm to RCA cable the error occurs. During your troubleshooting have you tried swapping this out with a different cable?

-Eric

Sorry for the delay in responding. The problem was in the DFR firmware. An update solved the problem.

1 Like

Thanks for the follow up @Timothy_Good! Very pleased to hear that the firmware update did the trick :sunglasses:

Happy listening!
-Eric