Drangonfly Red USB DAC no longer selectable as a zone

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10 Home (64-bit) - Roon version 1.8 (build 753)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Core and Remote are hardwired to my home LAN via ethernet cables (1Gbit)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Roon Remote is running on laptop with Windows 10 Pro - Roon version 1.8 (build 753)
Audioquest Dragonfly Red USB DAC connected to docking station; docking station connected to laptop via USB-C / Thunderbolt or connected directly to laptop via on-board USB-A

Description Of Issue

Everything was working fine (with Roon 1.8) until I disconnected my laptop from the docking station containing the USB DAC. I continued to use Roon on this laptop to control other zones in the house. When I connected the laptop back to the docking station, the Dragonfly was not listed as a zone.

I checked the audio device settings and Roon can see the Dragonfly - it is enabled. I have tried disabling / re-enabling it as well as restarting roon and my laptop - no joy. I also plugged the DAC directly into my laptop to rule out issues with the dock.

Needless to say, I have used the DAC to playback audio using other software so the DAC is functioning well.

I just connected the DAC to the machine running the Core - it was auto detected and worked fine when I enabled it.

I will wait for a response but at some point I am likely to uninstall/re-install Roon. Even if that fixes the issue for me it’s still a bug (I think).

Uhh, after trying the DF in the Core (and restarting the Core for good measure) I then plugged it back into my docking station. It immediately showed up as a Zone. So I am now back up and running but - worryingly - have no idea what the problem was or whether it will happen again!

If anyone has encountered this before, please let me know!

Sometimes USB devices can get into a state that requires them to be removed and then reconnected to be seen again. I wouldn’t worry about it unless it happens again.

Thanks, but that’s not the response I was looking for. Browsing the support forums reveals a number of people having issues with zones disappearing despite being visible in the list of audio devices (and not just USB devices either).

Like others, I found the issues was resolved after a restart of the Core though this is anecdotal.

Saying “USB devices can get into a state” seems to sidestep the point that this is a Roon issue, not an OS or device issue. It is plainly a defect and ought to be investigated and resolved properly.

1 Like

Hello @moralcrusader ,

Apologies for the trouble! We’re working on a solution to this and will keep everyone updated here:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.