Dropout Troubleshooting

Hi @Eric
My computer were Roon is installed with Core, output and control.
32 bits and 247 version.
PC Laptop Toshiba i5 6GB ram memory.
OS Windows 7 professional
Fiber internet 250/250 and wired connection with a Supra cat 8 cable

From 2 USB ports with a ifi Gemini USB cable
To a ifi micro iUSB3.0
Port 1 connected with a Entreq USB cable to a B.M.C Pure Dac
32 bits and 384 kHz DSD 64 and 128. Xmos driver
Port 2 connected with a Wywires Platinum USB cable to a Meridian Explorer 2 for MQA 24 bits and 192 kHz (tried to use both DAC’s) Meridian driver
Playing TIDAL playlists trough Roon (but the same thing)
Have also tried to disable the DSP in Roon!

Don’t stop playing directly from TIDAL, don’t now yet about MQA music or DSD music stored on a NAS!
Shall switch to playing MQA music now, but it’s been trouble to play recently!
(Have report that problem earlier)!

Hi @Anders_Strengberg ---- Thank you for the follow up!

You’ve mentioned the following in response to my questions:

“Don’t stop playing directly from TIDAL, don’t now yet about MQA music or DSD music stored on a NAS!”

Based on this, my assumption is that you have not tested with locally stored content yet, is this correct? If this is indeed the case would you kindly please confirm the following:

• Are you still getting dropouts when playing content stored on the mentioned NAS?

• If you do get dropouts from content on the NAS, how does content stored on the internal storage of the mentioned Win7 computer behave?

Furthermore…
As I have asked Fabio, if you by pass your mentioned DACs, and play directly out of the internal speaker in the Win7 computer, do you still receive dropouts?

-Eric

Hi Eric,
I have tested everything and haven’t had any problems/dropouts or any stop’s, on Roon since I wrote last!
So for 5 hours have everything worked perfectly :+1:.

Best
Anders

1 Like

Hi @Eric
The drop outs are back today! Unfortunately!
I’m using the DSP up sampling 96 and 192!
So I leave it off in the DAC’s device setting!
Because it’s sounds better, but I have tried to change and do it there instead but with same results!

All the best
Anders

Hi @Anders_Strengberg ----- Thank you for touching base and I am sorry to hear that the dropouts are back.

Moving forward, did you get a chance to try and of the troubleshooting tips in my previous post. If so, what observations were made? Furthermore, as I have asked Fabio, how do things behave when upsampling is not being used?

-Eric

Hi @Eric
I turned off the up sample in the DSP and did it from and off in the device settings instead!
But no different! When I tried to change in the device settings and the setting down mixing and channel mapping!!!
The thing I have asked about before!
So if I have channel mapping on I could use the up sample as well and it “almost” playing without a stop until the last 10-15 minutes I was playing!
So check how it is there!!!

All the best
Anders

Just so you don’t get confused about this rapport and my last!
So was it from late yesterday night, but I wrote it today before I started to watching over my different settings and changed my settings and started to playing :grinning: !

Hi @Eric,
I have a teori about the dropouts :grinning:!
Can it be so easy that others and me are using the DSP up sample instead of doing it in the device install?
So they are leaving the fealds with kHz and bits empty, and it’s casing this problem?
Now have I been playing for 2-3 hours and not a single dropout/stop :+1:.

Here’s some photos that shows what I mean!

Max Sample Rate (PCM) and Max Bits Per Sample (PCM).
Have I put on default settings since I started to up sample in the DSP instead!
Okay I have wose settings like now before and Max PCM Rate on in the DSP before, but to set this on default and using Custom instead in the DSP!
Maybe have got the PCM up sample to get confused!
Because now I have setup them like the photo shows and put it on Custom in the DSP as before but not device setup on default!

Like this photo shows!

So Custom on the Sample Rate Conversion shows and 44.1kHz on 96 and 196kHz when I took the screen dump it was on 96kHz, but I have changed to 196kHz a few times!
But Roon playing nice without any problems :grinning: at it’s always have done before :+1:.
I don’t if it was this or if you have done anything about these dropouts/stops!
Anyway @Eric so works everything great :+1:.
I just wanted to leave you a complete description what my thoughts and conclusions are.
I looked and it doesn’t take any more power from my CPU or Memory, and not less if I have the device setup are on default or on! So I will have them on!
Because as I wrote before I have no dropouts/stops witch is the most important thing :grinning: !

Best regards,
Anders Strengberg

1 Like

Hi @Eric
I don’t have any dropouts or stops when I only up sample to 96 kHz but with 192 kHz it’s coming!
Sometimes I can play with 192 kHz for a couple of hours, but sometimes it’s happening between each song or I can play 2-3 songs and when it stops!
But recently never when I play in 96 kHz!
Something else has also started! Suddenly there’s only sound in the left side of my speakers!
But if I change to 96 or 192 kHz it’s back in both left and right side and it’s always the left side that is silent! Check out this Auto L/R Balance check / reset on macOS

Best regards
Anders

Hi @Fabio.73 and @Eric

I can play it with 96kHz and other DSP functions like so it’s not clip and Parametric eq.
But if I put on 192kHz well it’s not starting or playing 1-2 songs and stop…
So it’s 96kHz that is the limit until the problem has been solved!
But sad for you that not even 96kHz works how about 88.2kHz?
I can play MQA music in both 96kHz and 192kHz also 24 bits of course!
What is little strange because I can’t play 16/192 but 24/192!!!

Best regards
Anders

Hey @Anders_Strengberg – I split your posts out to a separate thread here so we can get this resolved for you.

99 times out of a 100, dropouts are related to something environmental – a bottleneck in the network, a bad cable, a setting that’s beyond the capability of the network or setup, etc – so it’s generally quicker to troubleshoot these one on one.

I’m wondering if you could post one more screenshot for us here – what I’d like you to do is reproduce the dropouts in whatever configuration you’ve had problems with most recently. Once you are experiencing the dropouts, can you take a screenshot of your Signal Path, like this:

Just drop that here in the thread, and we’ll move forward from there. Thanks!

Hi @mike
Okay no problem :+1:

Best
Anders

Hi @Anders_Strengberg ----- Thank you for touching base with us, very appreciated!

Moving forward, I would like to kindly ask you to please perform the following:

• Very Important - Please reproduce the reported behavior and note the time when the observation is made.

• Once the issue has been replicated and the time noted please provide a set of Roon AND RAATServer logs from the device hosting your core, using the instructions found here.

-Eric

Hi @Eric
I haven’t been following your way to move forward yet!

Because I have played only TIDAL Masters, but true Roon so MQA!
And there’s no issues, it doesn’t stop playing instead it’s working perfectly!
So I’m going to play other music in 96-192 kHz and following your advice, and marking the time when it’s stopping etc…

Have you made any progress with your work on these issues/stops when people play in 192 kHz or higher?
Or is it only me and someone more who have reported this to you, because there’s must be other people who have this problems!
All other people can’t only play in 16/44.1 and not up sample the music?

Best regards
Anders

Hi @Anders_Strengberg ---- Please let me know when your logs are available as having that information will greatly help in diagnosing what’s going on with your setup.

Myself, along with our techs, have had no issues playing back 192 content so we need to figure out why this experience has been different for you and logs will be the most logical next step forward in addressing this behavior.

Thanks,
-Eric

Hi @Eric

I have been playing TIDAL playlists that I have put together my self, since I wrote to you the last time (2-3 days ago).
Without any problems or stopping’s and up sample to 24/196 :grinning:.
I tried to disable the EQ in DSP, so now I only use the Headroom Management and Sample Rate Conversion!
I use a old pc laptop and I think the problem is that it doesn’t have enough power to use the EQ to, so it’s stopping to play, when I up sample to 24/196!
But just enough power to use the EQ as well if I only up sample to 24/96!
Because 24/192 takes a lot more power what 24/96 does, the only strange thing is when I starting to play, so have I only sound in my right speaker?
But I only change the up sample in the Sample Rate Conversion from Max PCM Rate to Max PCM Rate (Power Of Two) and back to Max PCM Rate!
So is both left and right side working :+1:.
(I don’t think that having with the up sample thing to do, because it’s a problem that I have reading about her on the Roon Community that other people have problems with)!

So I think that my problem with up sample to 24/196 have with the DSP EQ including in my DSP settings to do!
Because I haven’t used the DSP EQ before, I only tested it and I sew what some people had problems how to use it and made a couple of different EQ settings!
And found out that it worked great :+1: so I started to use it myself, and when started my problems with the up sample!
I was thinking about myself the other day, so I disable it and everything works perfectly now, I up sample to 24/192 and everything works as great as before!
So my problem is that I need a computer etc…with enough power to handle the different settings in the DSP as well, Andrew at Small Green Computers gives the advice to buying the Sonic Transporter i7 for Roon DSP (if you want to use the Roon DSP much) and the Sonic Transporter i5 (if your not going to use the Roon DSP especially much)!
So it’s probably why you along with your tech’s don’t have this problems!

So is it with over Roon users that don’t have this problems:

1. Lots of power in their computers (because if people use the Roon DSP, so will they have more power in their computers) it’s something that you should write about and inform Roon users about, because everyone doesn’t understand that themselves!
  2. If they don’t going to use Roon DSP, so doesn’t they need so much power!
    I think that it’s important to inform all Roon users about this!
    Because I have got a little inside information that Dirac will be in the DSP!
    And for sure some other things as well!
    So people have that in mind when they shall buying new hardware equipment and going to use the DSP, maybe not now! But they will use it!
    So they are prepared that a i5 processor will not be enough in the longtime, instead so shall they going for a i7 directly!
    But it’s up to you to get out this information and I’m sure that you can describe it better than I can :grinning:.

Best regards,
Anders

1 Like

Hi @Eric
I have my problems still with to get up sample to 192 kHz!
So I run 96 kHz instead, and if I should do as you have asked me to do! To marking each time it’s stopping, when I have to sit with a pencil in my hand and marking each time Roon stops, so when I playing in 192 kHz I just open the app in my iPad and click on play! So if I’m lucky Roon playing one to two, three songs before it stops playing! Sometimes I can listen to 5-10 songs!
But as I have wrote to you before, so does I believe it has with my “old pc laptop” to do, because it can’t hardly play or move the “arrow” when I have the DSP in Roon on especially the EQ can’t have more than 3-4 different frequencies!
So I’m sure it solves my problems with up sample to 196 kHz!
When I buy a new hardware, what it now be? I have a few alternative versions, so I shall only decide what I shall choose!

Best,
Anders

Hi @Eric
Yesterday so did I try something that help me, with the dropouts when I was up sample to 192 kHz :blush:.
I have used Roon as Core, sound out and control on (my old pc laptop)!
But since I shall buy something else… and move (my old pc laptop) to my bedroom and using a Allo USBridge instead to get my sound from Roon to my DAC’s.
So I made a backup and download the Roon version, there the Core and sound output are and no control, it’s on my iPad/iPhone.
When I did this, I have absolutely no problem to playing up sample to 192 kHz or even 384 kHz :+1:.
It was a little tricky to change so that I only could control everything from my iPad/iPhone, because first I didn’t made a brand new backup, so I only had the TIDAL playlists and not my different eq settings in the DSP, but I only used the other version of Roon because I hadn’t removed it and made a new backup! When I close it down and removed it from my computer, opened the other and connected my iPad/iPhone so locked I up the latest backup and installed it on my iPad/iPhone!
So when all my playlists and DSP settings there on my iPad!
When I just tested for to see if my theory about that my up sample problem depended on my (old pc laptop) because now it’s not taking almost any CPU power or memory!
So I have been playing a playlist made from TIDAL music, up sample to 192 and 384 kHz for about 4-5 hours yesterday and for 2-3 hours today but only up sample to 192 kHz and I’m using the DSP Headroom Management, the up sample and my eq settings and now stop or dropouts I don’t have to use the two different nobs on in the device settings max hardware or max hardware double, (I believe that you now that I means).
So it works just great :+1:.
You can recommend this solution to other people with this problem!
Because I believe that almost everyone using both the computer and a iPad as remote control to Roon and it’s, not necessary!
It’s nice to not have to sit in front of the computer as well, and Roon start up directly when the computer starts, it’s a little bit faster as well to start Roon :blush:.

Best regards,
Anders