Dropouts and errors with local content

I’m having a similar issue however Tidal works fine. Its when I added Roon to the picture the connectivity issues started, causing stutter, song skip and outright stopping. Considering replacing my older Netgear router with an Airport Extreme but why would Tidal be streaming without incident and Roon not if it’s a router issue? To put a finer point on it the problem start when I try and do google searches or Facebook chats, etc. on the machine running the Roon Core. Any input greatly appreciated.

Hi Michael

Im not sure if this will help but I cured my problems by ditching wifi on my laptop and connecting via ethernet. My interenet speeds went up from about 10 mb/s to 40 and that solved my problems. I was surprised as I had assumed the actual music was streamed straight to my streamer but for whatever reason it turns out my laptop needs fast speeds too. Apologies for non technical description!

The way Roon works, is that the Server/Core installation streams the music from the network location to the Server first, processes the audio stream and then sends the stream out again to the endpoint. So, it is never recommended that the Core be on WiFi as it will be bringing the audio files to and from, putting extra stress on the WiFi connection.

1 Like

I believe Apple is in the process of discontinuing this line, so you may want to look elsewhere.

What you’re describing definitely sounds like a networking problem, and upgrading your router to something with 802.11ac is definitely a good idea.

Network troubleshooting can be really frustrating and laborious, but generally speaking the only real way to move forward is to start re-configuring things (replacing wireless with wired; connecting everything wired and testing; trying with a different router; trying with a different cable; etc) and seeing what works.

1 Like

And if you’re still having trouble @Michael_Corsentino, make sure to let us know the full details of your setup. Thanks!

1 Like

I’ve had very good luck with a pair of Airport Extremes in my home network. One is next to my cable modem and serves as the system router/DHCP server. The other is next to my core, about 50 feet from the router, and set up to be a bridge. Very stable and robust. My house is a one story ranch with a somewhat open floor plan which makes the connections “almost” line-of-sight.

Best advice is to place the wifi router as high as you can and with as clear space around it as you can manage.

In my location I’ve been very fortunate that Roon & Tidal streams very well. I’m only streaming to Airplay devices right now but happy with the SQ and reliability.