Dropouts happening [resolved: network issues]

Circling back to see if there is any update or information to share.

waiting for logs to arrive from your machineā€¦ sometimes it can take a while.

your logs are full of DNS issuesā€¦ what is the DNS server configuration on your dell?

these problems were existent around the time you were playing this morningā€¦ but they seem to be gone 2 hours later.

your music skipped this morning because of those issues.

whats up? i think i need this system output test conducted when dns is functional, because thatā€™s why all hotel californias skipped.

These are my settings including DNS. Are you recommending the DNS number on my Dell needs to be changed?

Ethernet adapter Ethernet 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : fios-router.home
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek USB GbE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 60-6D-3C-64-BB-E9
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::b510:bf70:df3c:2709%15(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.175(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, June 3, 2021 1:16:03 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, June 4, 2021 1:16:02 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 257977660
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-27-0E-8C-CD-84-2B-2B-B6-A3-17
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled
Connection-specific DNS Suffix Search List :
fios-router.home

Yes, manually change DNS Server address (on Roon core) to 8.8.8.8 (google) or 1.1.1.1 (cloudflare).

Thanks. I changed to 8.8.8.8 but still getting dropouts and getting disconnected messages from the Roon Core. I put 8.8.8.4 as the backup too.

8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4 ?? - Also try 1.1.1.1 & 1.0.0.1
Changing the DNS does help in a lot of cases, so this is a worthwhile test.
Use a service such as https://dnsleaktest.com to confirm your DNS setting.

Hi @Jarrod_Cohen

Can you provide some examples of skipped tracks when playing to system output of the Dell now that youā€™ve changed the DNS? Weā€™ll take a look.

@dylan unfortunately anything I play via the system output just skips, live radio wonā€™t work either. I tried many attempts beginning at 7:44 pm est. I switched between auto dns and the shared numbers to no avail. I could get temporary playback via other endpoints, but nothing would play to completion.

I can access the internet but ran some ping tests from my home computer to the PC where the Roon is installed and did the same through Fios and both options failed. Perhaps it is faulty hardware in the Roon PC. Not sure if the logs will show anything revealing since 7:44 pm. Do let me know what youā€™re able to decipher

Hi @Jarrod_Cohen

Is your device using Realtek audio drivers? Can you try uninstalling them and using the default Windows audio drivers if so?

@dylan i will give that a try and report back.

@dylan . Thanks for all of your help Dylan. Still having issues and everything points to the PC just being old and tired and with hardware failure, so I will be migrating to a new PC vs the prior one which was 11 years old. Thank you again.

Just chiming in, Jarrod. If you have a decent setup (SSD, wired), donā€™t be too quick to replace your hardware for Roon. Sometimes itā€™s not a hardware issue. I have a dedicated Roon ROCK (Intel NUC 10th Gen i5) and a robust network and I get the same problems you have.

Reading through this thread, I do believe my Roon has the same kind of problems. I get random dropouts even when playing from disk and while everything is connected by wires. Just wanted to chime in to confirm this might be an actual stability issue with the Roon Core.

@dylan @danny I switched my core to another computer. Which fixed all the ping/dns issues but same problems exist for library playback. I also did some troubleshooting with Synology and their diagnostics revealed nothing there, same with Verizon everything pings correctly with the newer and better Roon core machine. I do believe this is a stability problem, especially when others are having similar issuesā€¦ā€¦

1 Like

@dylan @danny . Thereā€™s a material amount of people having similar issues across the Roon community, and seems like there is a memory/buffering/stability issue potentially going on here. My particular issue has been open for 16 days and I addressed many hardware variables, including putting the Roon Core on a better and much newer machine. The only issue that hasnā€™t been addressed in the Roon software.

Are there any plans to address with a new build, if so what is the timing of the new build to be released?

1 Like

Hi @Jarrod_Cohen

I just wanted to reach out and let you know Iā€™ve escalated this to our senior technical team and Iā€™ll be in touch as soon as I have their feedback. Thanks!

@dylan Much appreciated!

Hi @dylan @danny - when should I expect an update? 20 days and counting nowā€¦ā€¦

1 Like

What is your default audio device on windows? Something is wrong with the audio stack on your windows 10. If the default device is the schiit, can you change it and try again?

You clearly had DNS issues before, which I was trying to get to by having you play out of system output, but you canā€™t play to system output at all. The audio driver is refusing to start playback.

and your network, and your network settings, etcā€¦

We currently have no actionable information right now, so no builds are planned for work in this area of the product.