Dropouts with live radio and playlists on Roon; both roon and tidal playlists. Some songs will play others Roon simply skips including ones that I play regularly

Roon Core Machine

I am using Roon Core on a Sonore Transport I, from little green computer. Also s sooner optical module and linear power supply. My music music library is on an SSID in Itransport i5.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

I use a Hitron Modem, a trend micro 10 port unmanaged hub, with internet speed of 300 mps. (Today)

Connected Audio Devices

I have apple TV 4k, a Naim ND5XS streamer

Number of Tracks in Library

maybe 3000, I guess.

Description of Issue

In early January Roon has stopped playing some internet radio stations, both in my favorites and any i choose. Some other stations play and then just stop.

Playlists in both roon (saved from Tidal) and Tidal playlists in Roon are skipping half of my selections. Roon simply skips songs. (Some that I previously have played a lot). Roon is also skipping and not playing songs on my SSID drive in I Transporter. Today is near impossible. Plays 3 seconds of a song and cuts out. Everything on same network I transporter IP is 192.168.0.17, ; naim nd5xs is 192.168.0.17. No obvious conflicts.

Seems Roon is having issues with my songs on SSID, Roon Live Radio, Tidal Playlists, Tidal songs saved in Roon Playlists.

Appreciate a prompt reply. I have had the Internet engineer hear this morning checking out lines and modem. All is good and drumming 365 mps.

Unrelated is I also have a Plex Pass if that is a potential issue.

I hope they aren’t on the same ip address and that you’ve just typed them wrong.

Hey @Daniel_Holmes,

I am mortified that we missed out on your post for this long :pensive:. We’re so sorry about the trouble you’ve been experiencing for this long.

I was wondering, if the issue is still happening, does it happen when you stream to any audio endpoint?

It might be way too simple, but if you can, would you please power cycle your Roon Core (implying quitting Roon, turning off the machine, unplugging it for a few minutes and then getting it started again), as well as your audio devices and network devices (including your unmanaged hub).

Is there any change at all?

Rebecca , following on your email of today, here is a copy of email I sent to Kevin today that follows on your thinking of sharing info for others.

Kind regards
———————

Kevin,

The issue persists however at this point my empirical evidence points to Naim as the main issue. using addition and subtraction of individual components and their software related systems (yes I have a lot of time on my hands…lol) including patch cables.

The components that play well Itransporter with roon installed and music library, Sonore optical rendue, Sony XBR TV. I removed an Apple TV 4K, as they had run an update in late December and did not want to complicate matters.

I have spent weeks sorting through this issue and it is that latest NAIM update which fixes a Tidal issue is causing issues with both ROON and Synology.

All these above products played seamlessly with ROON, except when I played them through the CAD 5 port on NAIM ND5XS. When I play them through the RCA inputs from an Ifi Bluetooth no issues at all, when back to the Naim big issues with ROON. I simply switched between audio endpoints in ROON from my SONY xbr TV , and via the IFI as one end point and the ND5XS as the other.

Further the issue started when I ran a streamer update from NAIM that updated a new Tidal requirement for logins.

Tidal and the Naim app on an IPad or IPhone both run seemlessly, but not ROON. So something is amiss here.

As an aside since the Naim update my Synology NAS drive has also had same issues.

I worked around this by using the UNpnp device selection on the NAIM and it connected to the SSID on the ITransporter and Sonore Optical module (UNpnp)

I have given up hope with NAIM support, I suspect this now French owned and managed company is not interested in supporting an older generation streamer, but only to sell me a newer product, sort of an apple iPhone attitude policy. So my only recourse is to delay the purchase of a new set of Focal speakers I had my eye on and auction some PMC a and Nola’s.

I thought this may be of interest to ROON users who have older NAIM streamers that cost very large sums of money.

I only have one question though, as I have checked my music library on the SSID on the Itransporter and I discovered many tracks with multiple versions, sometimes up to 4 copies of same song. Does ROON keep or update multiple versions for Dbase or indexing reasons?

Thanks for your query, feel free to post this in the community area, as I will be doing in other audiophile forums to assist other Naim users.

Appreciate any info or update on the multiple copies issues, so I can amend or delete unwanted copies without upsetting all the pieces in the chain.

Thanks

Dan

On Feb 8, 2022, at 9:26 AM, Roon Labs Customer Success Team contact@roonlabs.com wrote:

Hey Daniel,

Nothing in particular that we’re aware of, was this just a temporary problem? Or is it still persisting?

Let me know,

Kevin

---- On Wed, 26 Jan 2022 17:30:52 -0500 "Dan Holmes"danholmes2@mac.com wrote ----

Hi,

Are you having any issues with software or Tidal. Roon is now near impossible to listen to.

Roon Core Machine

I am using Roon Core on a Sonore Transport I, from little green computer. Also s sooner optical module and linear power supply. My music music library is on an SSID in Itransport i5.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

I use a Hitron Modem, a trend micro 10 port unmanaged hub, with internet speed of 300 mps. (Today)

Connected Audio Devices

I have apple TV 4k, a Naim ND5XS streamer

Number of Tracks in Library

maybe 3000, I guess.

Description of Issue

In early January Roon has stopped playing some internet radio stations, both in my favorites and any i choose. Some other stations play and then just stop.

Playlists in both roon (saved from Tidal) and Tidal playlists in Roon are skipping half of my selections. Roon simply skips songs. (Some that I previously have played a lot). Roon is also skipping and not playing songs on my SSID drive in I Transporter. Today is near impossible. Plays 3 seconds of a song and cuts out. Everything on same network I transporter IP is 192.168.0.17, ; naim nd5xs is 192.168.0.17. No obvious conflicts.

Seems Roon is having issues with my songs on SSID, Roon Live Radio, Tidal Playlists, Tidal songs saved in Roon Playlists.

Appreciate a prompt reply. I have had the Internet engineer hear this morning checking out lines and modem. All is good and drumming 365 mps.

Unrelated is I also have a Plex Pass if that is a potential issue.

1 Like

Hey @Daniel_Holmes,

Thanks so much for sharing all the information connected to this issue. We appreciate it. Also, thank you for investing your time to narrowing down the issue to the Naim device :heavy_check_mark:

If I understand correctly, at this point, the behavior you’ve been describing (the skipping and playback interruptions regardless of source) only happens when you stream to your Naim via Roon?

As far as your question goes, I wanted to clarify that while you can play your local library via Roon, Roon does not alter it in any way. It simply “sees” it. So, if you have music files on an SSID, managing that happens (mostly) outside of Roon. You can, however, take some actions from within Roon that will affect your library, like deleting files:

When it comes to managing and backing up your music library, our subscribers discuss options here:

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.