DSD128 upsampling is turning off my DAC (Teac AI-503)

@Gigatoaster - I assume SGD stands for Singapore Dollars here? 2SGD converts over to $1.45USD.
I would personally try to get at the very minimum a decent cable somewhere in the range of $5 - 20USD (10-30SGD) but depending on your applications and how you want to use it I have seen people advocate for getting more expensive ones.

I have been using and Amazon Basics USB 2.0 Cables just fine, but then again I don’t play too many DSD files so higher bandwith is not really needed for my setup. You may want to post your question on our Roon Audio Products section of Community to hear about the differing opinions on this matter.

I have also found a few threads where people discuss various USB cables if you want to give it a read:

Thanks,
Noris

Thanks. I’ll get a regular one.

I’ve notice that it appears every 29min…

I pay DSD128-512 through plenty of cheap cables FWIW and no issues. My most exp cable is a NuForce 0.5M that cost me like S$29 and is at least 7-8 years old.

Hello @Gigatoaster,

I have just received the report back from QA. It is not clear yet why DSD content is causing the issues for your DAC, but other than replacing the USB cable, they have also suggested to see how the behavior is like with Exclusive Mode turned off.

You can find this setting in Roon Settings -> Audio -> Cowheel icon next to TEAC -> Device Setup and should look like this:

Please let me know if toggling that setting helps or if another USB cable resolves this issue.

Thanks,
Noris

Hello Noris

Thanks for following-up.

I bought a new cable for 7 SGD and I have some improvements: only one drop-off.

I’ll try your suggestion. Meanwhile, I realized I have this feature on the DAC, would that be the culprit:

Hello @Gigatoaster,

Great find of the culprit! The hardest issues to diagnose are the ones that aren’t part of the initial theory, but it’s great that you were able to notice the pattern of every 29 minutes and locate that option. Also glad to hear that with the new cable the dropouts have subsided. If the issue occurs again, please let me know a timestamp and I can take a look at the diagnostics.

Thanks,
Noris

Thanks.

No dropouts since 3 hours playing music. I will test further today & tomorrow just to confirm.

Not a single drop off today. Problem solved: I can now enjoy my music!!

Thanks for your help.

2 Likes

Hello @Gigatoaster,

Great to hear that!
Thanks again for contacting support, and if you’re in the United States - Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanks,
Noris

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.