Dutch & Dutch 8c: firmware v2.0

I don’t see this option??

It would actually be very helpful if you could simply select an input from the main screen in Ascend. Currently, you’re required to click through 4 links every time you wish to go from streaming to analogue input.

1 Like

Nor do I, but I do know that there is a beta version of a firmware update floating around, so it might be included in that.

unfortunately that option has (hopefully) been temporarily removed.

First, I’d like to thank everyone who replied for all of your informative responses. My understanding of the intricacies of 2.0 has been greatly enhanced. While I’m able to switch modes from the Ascend app, my hope is in the future, Roon could be enhanced to handle the entire switching process rather than having to rely on the external app.

That said, now that I have a way to directly compare the 2.0 streamed signal to my analog XLR signal, I have more questions. I’ve only had a chance to listen critically to a few tracks, but differences between the two signals were quite apparent in each case. I need more time with the system to confirm some of the differences I’m hearing, but the most noticeable difference was a lack of center focus with the streamed signal.

This quality can be easily heard on female vocal recordings with a strong center image. That “I can see/hear her lips inches from the mic” quality that I’m used to is now diffused and spread over a wider portion of the soundstage. The center image changes from being a small area (~6") exactly in the center to a several times wider image (~24") in between the left and right speakers. Not surprisingly, this difference is also noticeable with a simple pink noise signal. The shift in sound is similar to hearing a focused in-phase signal change to a diffused out of phase signal.

My speakers are placed about 17" from the short wall of a 15’ x 30’ room. The speakers and my listening position are in a triangle configuration with 80" sides.

For now, I need to play with boundary settings and speaker toe-in to possibly address this issue. So my new questions are:

1. Has anyone else experienced this anomaly?
  2. Could it be unique to my listening environment?
  3. Any thoughts on how I might correct this?

Yes, I have beta 2.0.12 and the centre focus is more accurate as is the L/R balance in general

Thank you! I’m looking forward to installing the new firmware.

Oops… spoiler alert… I’m a betatester.

Which version you on now? I’m still on 2.0.12?

2.0.13. However, I had the option in all 2.0.x (and later 1.5.xxx) verions, so maybe it is available for specific serial numbers (?)

I would be more interested in what is causing it. Could this be due to a time delay difference between left and right channels? Just speculating, but if there was a small but varying delay between left and right channels, that might sound something like this possibly?

Yes i had the auto channel switching till i ‘formatted’ them by doing a factory reset.
It’s also ascend related, which version are you using?

1.1.17 (IOS) and 1.1.19 (web beta)

Interesting… same ascend version here too.

Roon Core Machine

Intel NUC roon rock

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Dutch & Dutch 8c, netgear, ethernet.

Connected Audio Devices

Ethernet

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Whenever I update the roon core the 8Cs disappear as an audio zone. They only reappear when I power cycle the 8Cs.

1 Like

I moved your post to here as I feel this is the best place for you to be helped, lets see what the D&D community have to say to assist!

I tried here before with no success.

1 Like

I don’t intend to be argumentative and we all have the right to our opinions and decisions, but…

The time you spend on this wonderful hobby of ours of listening to music (and for some of us, the process of getting the best audio quality and/or experience related to music) is precious. I also understand that there are times where that gets interrupted and you instead end up spending valuable time on diagnosing and troubleshooting. (That just happened to me just yesterday, and the precious time I had dedicated to enjoying my music was unfortunately not to be due to an issue I faced with the upgrade to build 918. That was an issue that it seems like only I had and I am glad that it has since been resolved based on some quick suggestions from this great Roon community.) I do find it unnecessary and entirely unproductive to make comments that suggest that every release from Roon or attempts to improve things actually breaks things, especially in response to a comment that was completely unrelated to that. Whether or not it is true – and from my perspective as a Roon user since 2016, it is not – it does not help the OP or the topic it was posted in.

I have decided to write this response because I personally find such comments (in the context I described above) to reduce my enjoyment of the community.

Enjoy the music!

1 Like

Can anyone in the 8c camp assist here or have any useful suggestions for GraemeM?

This sounds like a DHCP-related issue. Restarting the 8C likely triggers a new IP address lease from your DHCP server, which is what allows Roon to see it again. You can verify this next time by checking the 8C’s ip addresses before restarting and comparing them to the addresses after restarting.

As for why Roon cannot see the 8C’s without requiring a restart (i.e. with the same IP as before if my logic is correct), I do not know.

It would be helpful to know:

1. Do all other 8C owners face the same behavior? If they all experience the same thing, then it is likely directly related to D&D’s implementation of Roon. If not, you should look elsewhere for a cause before focusing on the 8Cs.

2. Do you have any other Roon endpoints? If so, do they exhibit the same behavior? If they all do the same thing, then it could be a network related issue or a Roon Rock issue.

For me personally, while I do not own the 8C yet, I have never faced an issue like what you are describing. FWIW, my endpoints are:

Ethernet > microRendus/ultraRendus > USB > DACs
Ethernet > Wifi > iPhone/iPad/Mac > Lightning/USB > DAC/AMP
Ethernet > Wifi > AppleTVs

1 Like

Thank you very much Adeeb. I’ll check the IP addresses next update. I have a few other roon endpoints (streamers) but only one other has any problems and that is a Sonos Move speaker pair. They initially reappear in roon as two separate speakers after an update but then metamorphose into a single end point some time later by themselves.