Dutch & Dutch 8c: firmware v2.0

I did try closing the roon ios app and reopening but it didn’t help. Is that what you meant?

1 Like

Yes, exactly that - it worked for me during the last roon update.

OK so a little update. 2.0.12 does indeed appear to have resolved the right channel network bug and plays all resolutions perfectly - fingers crossed this makes it out into general releases very soon :slight_smile:

The sounding awesome-ness has returned!!!

1 Like

How did you get access to it early? @cereal_killer

Hi - I have beta/alpha firmware, so just testing it before general release.

Hi,
What is this “right channel network bug”, please can you explain?

Hi Didier, yes certainly. On certain hi-res file formats (for me 24/192) the right channel balance went way off centre and at certain moments the right channel when off intermittently (stuttered).

But some users had reported these issues on all file formats. I was informed the issue was/is something to do with how 2.0.6 firmware handled a local network and now in 2.0.12 the sync algorithm has been significantly improved which seams to have resolved all network issues.

Hopefully this’ll now allow them to get on with REW integration :smiley:

2 Likes

It is a concern that the 2.0.6 software managed to pass Roon Ready Certification in this state. It doesn’t sound like it was Ready enough…

1 Like

Is anyone else having to constantly restart the iPhone app? I like the functionality but I need to restart it every time I put my phone down for a while. Really really frustrating. Please fix this

Yes this is a bug in the app. No issue with the web version

I have a question regarding the speed of the 2.0 rollout. The serial numbers of my 8c’s are 8c-26xx series, and lanspeaker.com currently shows 2.0 is not available for me at this time.

My understanding is 2.0 is being rolled out in phases, beginning with older serial numbers first (?). If this is true, my question is what is the highest serial number eligible for 2.0 at this point in time?

I don’t know if there was any confirmation that it was being done by serial number (although I may have missed it); however, mine are later (i.e. higher in number) than yours and I have had the new firmware for about a month now.

Hi Larry. All 8c’s have had access to release 2.0 since the 1st of January. Are your 8c’s connected to the internet? Could it be that a firewall is blocking access?

1 Like

Thanks for confirming your firmware status.

Hi Martjin, I hope you are doing well, and thanks for confirming release 2.0 availability. After seeing your post I performed my first backup. Surprisingly, 2.0.6 appeared after the backup completed. Not sure if the backup triggered the download, but 2.0.6 is now available for me to install. I look forward to trying it out later this evening. Again, thanks for getting back to me.

1 Like

I did a quick search of this thread, but couldn’t find any answers to my 2.0 related questions.

Last night I upgraded from 1.4.65 to 2.0.6, and 2.0 seem to be running well. However, I have a few questions:

1. Why is there an additional Sample rate conversion step in the new signal path? I was under the impression that the 8c would not perform an additional sample rate conversion internally as well.

**New Signal Path              Old Signal Path**

1. I wanted to compare the Roon Ready D&D 8c signal directly against my previous Roon Benchmark DAC1Pre (analog XLR) signal, however, when I switch back to the Benckmark, I not getting any output to the 8c even though Roon’s signal meter is showing an active signal (see below). Should I be able to switch back and forth between devices with Roon, or do I need to use the Ascend app?

2. When the 8c is running in Roon Ready mode is it normal to have three LEDs active (i.e. Lo Gain, High Gain and AES3 R are all active). Do I manually have to reset this switch on the back to output the signal when I want to switch back to the Benchmark from Roon Ready mode? If so, can this be automated?

Hey Larry!

1. I believe that the DSP within the 8c’s only operates at 48Hz, so everything needs to be converted to that sample rate. You can either do that within the Sample Rate conversion feature within Roon or let the 8c’s do it internally. I have tried both and did not feel that it made a difference.

2. To switch from streaming, I believe you need to open the Ascend app and change the input source from there. Although it appears to recognize automatically when it receives a streaming signal, it does not seem to do the same when it is fed a signal directly. Hopefully this is addressed in a future firmware update.

3. Yes, mine do the same. I believe this indicates that it is in Streaming mode. Unfortunately, the manual doesn’t appear to have been updated to reflect this, so I could be wrong.

Hope that helps. Others should feel free to chime in if I have any of that wrong.

@Larry I’ve recently had this discussion via email with D&D and they say 24/48 is the most accurate frequency to resample too. We shouldn’t think of this as down sampling as it has connotations of ‘downgrading’ its is more about what gives the purest most accurate measured results.
I personally believe 48, 88.2 or 96 KHz are the best, but D&D have there own tried and tested take on the subject.

Its worth having a good read of these papers written by Dan Lavry, who is one of the best digital designers in the pro world (up there with Dan Weiss)

2 Likes

The majority of DSP speakers, if not all of them, have to do resampling internally. This is an essential part of its design that gives you the SQ you enjoy.

Same as AV receivers, they all do resampling internally unless you disable its room correction and bass management and many of the digital features - for which people buy the AV receivers for.

This is also true for several other Roon Ready room correction amplifiers.

2 Likes
  1. In Ascend, under input mode you can select ‘automatically disconnect streaming’. When selected, the previous input mode is automatically activated (again) when you stop a direct Roon stream to the 8c’s. So I guess in your case you need to stop a direct Roon to 8c stream before switching to your streamer.