Dutch & Dutch 8c: pre-Roon Ready thread

Try using dsp to set an upsampled fixed pcm rate for all content

Yes, it could be a solution but I whish to know why a sample rate change generates this short crackling noise.

Likely software issues when changing rates the mute is not applied long enough…the problem with longer most is often missed track starts

In which product is the issue arising? PC–>USB Interface, outputting AES–>D&D DAC

Only one DAC in that all digital chain but why haven’t we heard of this issue before with the D&Ds? Those sample rate changes are significant in that it is when the DAC clock has to be switched (I believe, not a DAC expert), one clock for 44.1k and another for 48k based sample rates.

That’s the question! Unfortunately I don’t have any other device in order to connect the speakers via digital aes. I suppose that the issue is coming from the Singxer SU-2 but not sure.

Hi,

I use a Singxer su-2 between my HTPC and my D&D to convert the usb digital signal to aes. It works perfect except when the sample rate changes. In that case, I can hear an annoying short clicking noise in the speakers.

Do you have this kind of issue with the Matrix X-SPDIF 2?

Thank you.

I use many different sample rates with no clicking or extra noises. I do have the Matrix set to 96KHz 24bit max so roon does any downsampling required.

I am replying to myself to give an update. I got an email reply from Dutch&Dutch. I’ll quote it here:

" We are working on our software platform. This is the reason your software seems to be “frozen”.

In due time we will upgrade all 8c’s to the new platform and you’ll be able to update again.

This doesn’t influence the sound quality of your speakers at all as you noticed yourself :-)"

I didn’t get a timeframe for the update. I didn’t ask as I expected there standard response.

They have been working on that for quite some time. If you read the thread over on gearslutz, some users had sound balance changes when the software was updated. This shouldn’t have happened (and is very unwelcome when you have calibrated your listening environment), so I think they stopped updates whilst they worked out what the issue was. Everything software related seems to take an age and now there is a price increase on the way.

Also a question for users; as the speakers work at 48kHz internally, why is anyone sending them anything higher than this?

When I got the control update mine were out of balance. I thought I may have done it by mistake. I have them set to max 48KHz 24 bit as of this morning. I was sending 96KHz. I think I’ll leave them at 48KHz as they still sound outstanding.

OK, thank you for your feedback.

@Terry_Murray has it right. Sending music – regardless of it’s native sample rate and bit depth – at 48KHz 24 bit to the 8Cs is the right approach as this is in sync with what the 8Cs internal dsp tech runs at. Therefore it doesn’t have to do another conversion before using it’s dsp. That also eliminates any need for the 8c to change sample rates.

The worst case scenario IMHO is upsampling in Roon or your streamer to something above 48KHz, then sending to the 8Cs who then have to downsample to 48KHz before DSP. Too many transformations.

Of course you can continue to send music in whatever native sample rate and bit depth without any transformation in roon or your streamer and let the 8C do it but its better if you let Roon handle IMHO.

1 Like

Details of the new product over on gearslutz:

Interestingly, this version will never be Roon Ready.

Yes, I agree and that’s I will do.

But however I want to understand why I have a short clicking noise each time the sample rate change. Is it generated by my Singxer su-2 USB to AES interface or by the D&D themselves? I tend to think that the clicking noise comes from the Singxer.

I’ve got the same issue as u mentioned and just reported to support.

I am using miniDSP SHD and it works fine with Dirac live 2.0. For your case, you may need to adjust the output under routing in miniDSP plugin.

Hi there, I am currently using N10 and miniDSP SHD for my D&D 8c connected by AES cables. Sounds really good. But, I am thinking to switch to a single box Grimm Audio MU-1 as source. Any comments.

I have the Grimm (and a miniDSP SHD) . It is amazing. Worth it for the oversampling alone.

On my quest to find a good sounding hifi-set for our recently bought home with 5,5 x 10m living room, and having tried several components to complement or replace our existing 4 piece Naim With Dynaudio Contour 20 set, my local dealer recommended me to contact Martijn Mensink and try the Dutch & Dutch 8c. As Martijn is originally from the city where we live, an appointment was easily made. Martijn installed and measured a bk/bk 8c demo-set in our living room to try them. Although our living room needs (heavy) room treatment because of it’s 1.3 seconds reverberation time, we were immediately impressed. After a few days I contacted my dealer to order a set and an appointment was made for Martijn to deliver and help me to setup the 8c’s. Martijn’s visits were very pleasant! He explained the technique of the D&D’s and also gave me insight in the current developments.

The D&D team is working on a new platform called Ascend to replace Lanspeaker. I was given the opportunity to become beta-tester and have worked with the latest beta-version (1.5.41) on the demo-set for two days and will be given the latest beta for my own speaker next week. Ascend is a big step forward compared to Lanspeaker and has full Roon implementation. Before the official release, some of the Lanspeaker functionality (e.g. EQ) has yet to be moved. As D&D has chosen for a completely new platform, with more functionality to come, Martijn couldn’t give a release date at the moment, but the team is working hard to release it as soon as possible.

As ‘connection box’ (Spotify, Airplay, Bluetooth, Toslink in) I use a Yamaha WXC-50 with Neutrik NADITBNC MX adapter to digitally feed the 8c’s.

14 Likes

looks awesome !