Dutch & Dutch 8c: pre-Roon Ready thread

It will then be 1 year since they demoed roon yet still haven’t shipped…

Thought it was more like 18 months or so (end 2018?). Is it synchronisation of a stereo pair over Ethernet which is the issue?

EDIT: mentioned as being demoed in this thread, Summer 2018 at an audio show!

1 Like

The issue is native Roon without an endpoint feeding it. Using an endpoint works fine now. Also, the version with roon has a REW integration also I believe. Don’t know if there will be any sound difference between the to options once native roon support is there, but want to see. And I would make use of the REW integration tomorrow. And I think you are right @Anthony_B that they started demoing and talking about native roon much longer than 12 months ago.

Roon was meant to be ready “soon” in Sept 2018.

Hyperion

Posted September 4, 2018

On 9/4/2018 at 7:01 PM, PeterG said:

Some great interesting stuff here, but very hard to put these into context. What do they cost? How do they compare to the usual suspects near that price point, such as B&W, Focal, Sonus Faber, etc? Who should buy them?

This is a true all-in-one system which should be compared to the likes of Kii or Grimm. The Dutch & Dutch 8C are soon to be “Roon Endpoint Ready”, meaning that all you need to do is plug them into your home network (over Ethernet) running Roon on a server to enjoy music from Tidal etc. and/or stored music from a NAS or computer.

To build a similar system with passive components on this elevated level with such unique characteristics under €10.000 would be a challenge, if not impossible. This is a system for the serious music lover who wants accuracy and simplicity on the highest level possible.

The retail price for the Dutch & Dutch 8C reviewed in Europe is approx. €10.000.

/ Marcus, www.perfect-sense.se (proud importer of Dutch & Dutch in Sweden)

1 Like

The unfortunate reason I am overly familiar with the dates is because I have held off buying a pair until they sort out the software update issues which came to light around the end of 2018. Roon compatibility was always going to be delivered with the fix (at the time anyway) but has now been split off into an even further release I believe. So, fingers crossed for end of this year then…assuming the July release goes to plan.

The 8Cs still sound fabulous when using and endpoint (I’m using a Lumin U1 Mini) and don’t really know what will sound better, the roon native in the 8Cs or my setup. But given this, I don’t really regret I bought them, but am frustrated with the length of time it takes for enhancements to get out and the spotty customer communication and support.

1 Like

I’m sure they will sound great with or without Roon. I now have the option of the cheaper Studio version (without Roon apparently) but so long as this has the REW implementation it could be a worthwhile saving. I would be buying the ‘all black’ finish version in either case.

Educational . I really hope more people understand the benefits of having this type of speaker design with DSP .

1 Like

What did you replace your D&D 8Cs with?

I love to change speakers , never replacing them :wink:
I went with the Genelec 8361A. Got them 10 h ago.

Interesting choice. Did you get a subwoofer to go with them? Tends to be the recommendation from
Genelec and over on gearslutz.

1 Like

I’m sure we’re interested in hearing your (early) impressions of the 8361A vs 8c!

1 Like

They really don’t need additional subwoofers. They get my windows to flex I want haha . The dynamics are crazy .

As you said, t’s too early to say . But they are very similar. What I can say is that the 8361A has a larger soundstage, due big wavegiude and coaxial driver. I would say that they play with a bit more ease as well . Not surprisingly, it’s a bigger monitor with more powerful amplifiers for the low end . Crazy dynamics . Both speakers are amazing, you can’t really go wrong. If I had another room , I would have saved the DD . After almost two years , it was time to move on and try something else . The 8361a is the only speaker that can be compared with the DD8C in my opinion , at roughly the same price. Do I miss the 8C , yes . Do I regret buying the 8361A , No .

1 Like

Is anyone using a subwoofer here? Since the sub output is not working on the 8cs is there a latency issue with a preamp feeding both?

I’m not. I have one ready to use it with the bass performance of the 8cs in my room I don’t think they need it. But I would try when they get the sub output working to see how it sounds.

I thought the sub output on D&D 8C is already active, it outputs a full range signal?

I dont really think you will need a bass with the 8Cs …they can play deep. Like really deep.
:smiley:

In my previous room they were great. Now I live in a very large open condo and would like more bass. Can anyone confirm if the subwoofer output is live?

And to go further, is the sub woofer output fully adjustable with delay and filtering options? Does using it integrate with the response of the D&Ds themselves to relieve them of some of the bass reproduction duties. If not, they won’t go any louder with a sub woofer.

Many speakers ‘go deep’ but all speakers have SPL constraints, especially in the bass with smaller enclosures. Larger rooms require higher SPLs. (As an aside, the Kii3’s roll off the bass as the volume level increases beyond a threshold to protect the drivers, and of course the response of the speaker is modified once you attach the BXT bass modules, to them to allow higher SPLs without damage/excessive distortion)

Many manufacturers in the pro-monitor market produce graphs of maximum SPL verses frequency. Genelec and Kii certainly do, not sure if I have seen one for the D&Ds.