Dutch & Dutch 8c: pre-Roon Ready thread

I don’t see it for the 8361A’s (flagship of The Ones):

I see some 3rd party measurements of 8C’s at higher dB (90dB) here though:

https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2073:nrc-measurements-dutch-dutch-8c-loudspeakers&catid=77:loudspeaker-measurements&Itemid=153

1 Like

More generally, the question of linearity of the frequency response as a function of the sound pressure level is relevant for any loudspeaker. I remember how JBL used to published these measure for quite extreme values on their large 4355 (or other furniture-sized loudspeaker).

The last figure of the first post on this thread, gives an idea of how the frequency response of the 8c varies with level [80 to 100dB SPL], and it is pretty good, in the frequency region it is measured.

Hope that next release scheduled for July 1st will be finally the Roon ready one!

Me too, but I’m not holding my breath…:slight_smile:

1 Like

Post retracted!

I’ve just added a mutec smartclock connecting to 8c via AES. It greatly improves soundstage and gives me a complete-upgrade feeling.

2 Likes

How does this connect? Does the AES signal go through the Mutec and is reclocked by it?

EDIT: answered my own question:

I just connected my minDSP studio to mutec and 8c using AES cables. Mutec supports aes/coaxial/toslink/usb for input. It relocks all digital inputs it supported and it can detect input signal rate automatically. setup is very simple.

Ah…! This is a dream setup! Mutec MC-3 +USB in front of the 8c. Correction with Dirac in SHD and the SHD is also Roon ready (still unidentified I guess, but…)
This would also be possible with a Rpi4 (+ RoPieee for example) driving the USB port of the Mutec and using convolution in Roon.
Very nice!

I don’t understand why you need the miniDSP studio. I thought the D&Ds had eq and volume control.

If the miniDSP studio is the SHD studio it has Dirac Live built in. The eq in 8c is amplitude only, and is good, but Dirac also does time correction which can be equally important. The volume control in 8c might not be the most practical to use as one needs to access it via the 8c web interface. When 8c is Roon ready Roon will control the 8c volume directly, but not with the Mutec in the chain. I think @Elton_Chan’s setup is quite sensible.

2 Likes

MiniDSP functions as a Roon endpoint – which the D& D aren’t yet – w/ and AES out.

1 Like

See @ogs reply and I am also using MiniDSP as pre-amp, not just for volume control but it allows me connecting to all my music sources including tv via toslink, music server via AES, cd transport via coaxial, and music streaming from the Internet via LAN. It has a remote control. I just realised clock is real crucial in digital music playback. But Not too late.

1 Like

The 8Cs reclock internally anyway. They have to. So reclocking externally must be useless. It cannot make any difference to the sound quality. Not even one little bit. Impossible.

I was skeptical about what you said before. But the effect is obvious in my system. I think the mutec can’t change anything in 8c and of course 8c has its own clock as it is a computer but it is just a clock. what mutec does is to remove error or jitter from its input using it higher quality clock, which is critical to serve as a relocker. If it doesn’t work or has minimal effect it means your source may be jitter-free or has clock input already. I am very interested to know what it is and I suppose it would be very pricey.

Hi,

according to their website, all it does is reclock with a high precision clock. This is only useful(?) with a high jitter AES source and a poor AES input that cannot deal with jitter (most if not all can).
It cannot remove ‘errors’ in the AES stream.

Thank you for coming here and warning us that this is impossible. The 8c has a re-clocker. I owned a Devialet 250 CI amp which also has a re-clocker built in. I also owned a Mutec. The improvement I got from using the Mutec in front of the Devialet was very obvious, but according to you this is impossible. I must be wrong then.

I was thinking relocked means dejittered. After reading your comments, “reducing effect of jitter from the sources” may be much appropriated. Anyway, it has positive and clear effect.

It does in this case, but that is the only error the Mutec can reduce. Incidentally, I notice that the Mutec AES inputs/outputs are transformer coupled (common on AES interfaces) so you also benefit from a degree of galvanic isolation too.

I hope you all can use Roon through ethernet on the 8c’s soon. I am enjoying it daily with the beta-version and I’m really happy with it.

3 Likes