Dutch & Dutch 8c: pre-Roon Ready thread

BTW, I have not done any room correction.

Very disappointed that no support to Roon so far, and without firmware update.

“seemed about the same” is quite a statement given they’re two completely different speakers.

1 Like

Yeah, I was surprised that they didn’t sound more different. I think it speaks to the quality of the 8C’s. My comparison wasn’t scientific, with the two sets of speakers at opposite ends of a room and a few seconds delay in the switch. Also, it wasn’t blind so there was bias involved.

When I compared the Klipsch and 8C I don’t think I played any material with a lot of bass. The 8C play bass very well, probably much better than the Klipsch. I did have the 8C on loan for over a month and decided to purchase them and retire the La Scalas. The 8c are well balanced and I don’t need to adjust the frequency balance. I agree that Roon would be nice but my player (Bricasti M5) sounds fine for my Tidal source.

1 Like

Does anyone have trouble with achieving enough volume using a minidsp shd studio? Even with it at 0.0 on the minidsp the 8cs wouldn’t get anywhere close to as loud as me feeding them an analog signal from my matrix audio headphone amp. Yes I did switch the input to AES when using the minidsp. Seems like a company that sells speakers that retail for almost $15k a pair would be a little more transparent with where they actually are with releasing the roon ready firmware. Or at least give us the option of the beta version that new customers are getting. I have been waiting a long time for it and some of you have been waiting much longer.

I don’t have this problem at all. What is the volume setting on LanSpeaker?

I think I had it set on 5.0. What is yours set on?

My MiniDSP is set on 10 and Lanspeaker on -20 and it is plenty loud. I wonder what could be wrong. Is your room enormous?

Is the Roon volume @ 100%?

As a new customer I didn’t get access to the beta firmware either.

It is very frustrating having no idea of the release date of the roon readiness. Do I buy a suitable high quality (expensive) streamer now? Or should I just wait until tomorrow when they might release the streaming update and I won’t need a streamer? Or will it be another 6 months? Or 2 years in which case a new streamer would be worthwhile?

It’s difficult to understand why they can’t plan their development schedule.

3 Likes

I would build an RPi4 with one of the available AES hats. Inexpensive, but still high quality. And repurposable once they release the native Roon support for the 8cs.

It is super-annoying, especially because some people have the beta and tell you how great it is. I’m now going on a year and a half waiting for Roon.

1 Like

When I set the D&D app to -20db I get 85-95 db at 8 ft C weighting with iphone audio tools. At -8db I get 95-105db sound level. The room is 28’ x 24’ with 15’ ceilings but the listening area is more like 14’x24’.

I must have been doing something wrong because I don’t get volumes anywhere close to that. I didn’t realize you could do AES on a raspberry pi. That is an idea and an economical one.

Which hat would you go with for the AES output? Would an SPDIF to AES cord work and just use an SPDIF hat on the raspberry pi? Seems like this is the cheapest option.

I have no direct personal experience with AES hats for RPis. But the Pi2AES comes up frequently on this forum. I suspect basically any of them will work just fine, but Google is likely your friend here. Sorry.

Note that coax SPDIF to AES with an adapter is not recommended. While it can sometimes work, technically the electrical spec for them is quite different.

Send Michael an email about stock availability. I don’t know if he’s on this forum much anymore, cc: @Michael_Kelly @Michael_Kelly1

2 Likes

That could be an alternative. Something like an Allo Digi One and a Neutrik 75-110 converter NADITBNC-MX (https://www.neutrik.com/en/product/naditbnc-mx) I’ve used the Neutrik in the past, works very well.

Are all levels within the SHD set correctly by the way?

I am here! The PI2AES offers the following outputs (all active simultaneously):
Balanced AES via XLR
Coax AES
RCA SPDIF
Optical Toslink
Parallel I2S via RJ45 (with adapter)
I2S over HDMI (PS Audio pin out)

The PI2AES is supported by Ropieee which in turn provides the Roon functionality.

Stay safe and enjoy the music!

2 Likes