Dutch & Dutch 8c: pre-Roon Ready thread

I had the ROON beta software for the 8C . When they release it , you wont need a streamer. Just the ROON Core . I would save the money , and buy a power conditioner instead.

:slight_smile:

Hi, is that product available in the UK?

Yes I’m sure that will be the case indeed. But what is peeing most 8C owners off, is when they will release it?? I myself have been waiting 2 years and still no god damn sign of it. D&D’s lack of transparency over this tarnishes their reputation for what is undoubtedly an excellent product. Poor show Dutch and Dutch!

2 Likes

Yes, we ship anywhere in the world. Right now lead times are about 4-5 weeks due to the pandemic.

You definitely have something wrong because I have exactly the same set up.

It actually seems as if you have attenuated the digital stream somewhere before it enters the 8c. There are several places where this could happen. Do you get more volume if you set all options in the SHD plugin to Bypass? That should send the signal straight through the SHD and 0.0dB in the SHD display should be fairly loud (be careful!). Maybe try this with Lanspeaker volume on -20dB. Is there a volume control in Volumio that could interfere here?
What happens if you connect the SHD to the other speaker or use a different output on the SHD?

This is a part of the REW release notes from today.

2 Likes

Thanks @Adeeb! Definitely a clever feature.

And a question for @Martijn_Mensink: does the REW eq feature also work for the 8c Studio?

Power conditioning or regeneration is interesting. Have you tried it with the 8Cs? If so what did you try and what results?

Well I actually returned my first SHD studio several months ago because Dirac wasn’t supported on the latest version of OSX which wasn’t made very clear when I purchased it. I was also having all of the volume control issues and at the time the volume on the SHD studio could not be controlled in Roon. I just noticed they finally updated the software to work on the latest version of OS X. I considered ordering another one since Dirac works. Can you control the volume from Roon now?

Yes, I think Roon can control the volume now. Also, 24bit streaming from Roon is now supported on Volumio. I don’t own a SHD so I can’t verify this however. There are several posts about the SHD further up this thread.

I bought the Cambridge Audio 851N streamer/dac/preamp. It has AES out and XLR analog out. I mainly bought this unit because I’d like to watch movies with the sound over the 8C’s. I wonder what Dutch & Dutch is cooking when it comes to the TV solution when they go audio-over-ethernet.

Do you use the streaming functionality? If yes, how do you rate it? I have a miniDSP SHD studio, which I use for the same purpose as your Cambridge unit. The miniDSP is great in many ways, but the streaming part relies on Volumio, and the web interface to control Tidal is not very good. So I am considering alternatives. Thanks

I can’t compare sound quality on devices as i only heared this CA 851N compared to a simple soundcard. Of course the CA was better than that card.

Everything (Roon,TV,Airplay) is seemless. So that’s it’s biggest win. I’m holding off with any AES/XLR/Powercord upgrade till D&D comes with their device. (Interlinks before power upgrades tactics)

I play via (simple) XLR analog. Tried AES but hate the fact that you have to control volume through the lanspeaker.com. If you link your tv set top box with the 851N you have 1 central volume control for everything.

One can only hope D&D’s device will work like the Kii audio one… so I can ditch the CA.

No volume control on the digital AES/EBU output?? The miniDSP does that perfectly.

Why do you need to buy a DSP processor for speakers which have DSP built in? What does the miniDSP do better?

You are correct that the miniDSP has a lot of DSP capacity that is already covered in the 8c (and more). I don’t use the DSP of the miniDSP.

When I bought the 8c, I was looking for a device to connect my TV (toslink), act as a streamer (Tidal), and that has digital AES/EBU output with volume control, and a remote control. Turns out the miniDSP SHD studio is the cheapest device that can do all of that. And, it is even a Roon endpoint now.

1 Like

And Dirac if you feel digital room correction is necessary on top of the EQ that D&D offers in 8c.

I have tested Dirac, and I was not convinced by the sound quality. You have to be mindful not to try to do too much. In any case, you can achieve the same full band room equalization with REW and the 8c, though Dirac is king in usability.

Yes ! I had the PS Powerplant P15 , and i was a great piece , but for Class D amplification I prefer conditioners even more. I bought the IFI Powerstation for 600 bucks and it really performs better than conditioners for 15 x the money.