Dutch & Dutch 8c: pre-Roon Ready thread

Hello,

Each speaker was connected via its own LAN cable . No AES in between :slight_smile:

I used a 5 port switch . 2 lan cables for the speakers . 1 for the roon core server . 1 incoming Internet cable to the switch from the router :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks @J.D! That’s what I figured but glad to know definitively.

I like the box your network switch and cords are organized in. What is it?

I bought an empty chassi that almost was the same size as tge Innuos zen . Made some holes with a drill , put some rubber thingy thingy around and pulled the Lan cables. Worked out really good. I needed to be able to turn the LAN cables with big loops. They where made out of pure silver, very sensitive and could easily snap if bent to narrow.

3 Likes

Great @J.D ! What are your LAN cables ? Custom ones ?

I dont have this system any more . Just want to be clear :slight_smile:

The LAN cables was custom ones , from a Swedish company called Extreme Solutions.
Highest quality of connectors possible. Silver cable with 4 different layer of shielding. Everything completely shielding from outside radio interference. The power cord shares the same logic, shield from outside radio interference (4G/5G/Wifi/BT/etc) . I still have the power cables in my todays set up.

Thanks @J.D for your answer :wink:

I really would love if the 8C’s will be Tidal connect ready, for the ultra clean setup without Roon core.

This is indeed what D&D has done. As beta-tester, I can confirm that Roon works very well on the D&D’s with an ethernet connection to both speakers. There is no AES needed for Roon (although I still use it for connecting TV sound and Spotify through a Yamaha WXC-50 > coax > Neutrix > AES). D&D is now releasing beta-test versions regularly and I know from Martijn that they work on the new app at the moment. I hope to test the app soon.

Great set up. Been vacillating between Buchardt A500 and Genelacs (8351B) as well. May I ask what speaker stands are those - Monoprice?

hello D&D crowd :slight_smile:

do not know if you had this video before here, but i found it very interesting
starts at minute 11

Just carried out a comparison between Lumin U1 mini, Auralic G1, Auralic Aries and dCS Network Bridge. Lumin sounds more focused and organised than both Auralics. Not done a detailed comparison to the dCS but Lumin may be close to it.

Just saw Lumin have released an IR remote as well so that seems perfect.

Has anyone compared aes/ebu cable effect on sound? Does length or quality of cable effect sound?

1 Like

That was an interesting video. Grimms look good. Shame they didn’t use a digital source for the 8cs. Don’t know if that would effect sound though.

I purchased Mogami 3080 AES/EBU a couple of months ago for my D&D 8Cs. One of the most frequently used cable in the pro industry (and they cost 1/10th of “hifi” cables that I am sure are not better). After a terrible break-in period (lasted about three weeks with my U1 Mini on repeat all the time) they sound very good, absolutely neutral and with very high resolution. There is a clearly audible improvement going digital into the D&Ds compared to analog. Previously I used a Benchmark DAC2 HGC, which is a very good DAC, but it cannot compete with AES/EBU from my MiniDSP SHD Studio. I guess the extra DA/AD is audible after all…

Now I am just waiting for the SHD Studio to be Roon Ready, which according to MiniDSP is only weeks away, and then I can skip the U1 Mini.

1 Like

The Buchardt are great , but can’t be compared to The Ones in my opinion . Genelecs software and DSP are lightyears ahead . Not to mention the point source design .

The speaker stands are a pair of modified Custom Design RS304 . Had them for my previous speakers , the Dutch and Dutch 8C. The Genelec 8361A are wider and a not as deep . So I just turned the stands 90 degrees. I will design a pair of new stands but for now they do the job.

2 Likes

Does anyone have recommendations regarding power cables. I don’t want to plug the D&D’s in a filter as it has 4 amplifiers, but I’m keen to know if someone has experience with upgrading the standard power cables of the D&D’s. (i’m looking at Audioquest or Isotek)

@Brian_da_Graca

I have . What do you want to know ?
Also used the PS Audio PowerPlant P15

Best

Specially the type of power cables used and matching audible results. As i see everywhere that a filter is not really needed with a power amp, but the D&D’s are source and amp in one. So I am not sure what the best solution would be.

Will the D&D’s benefit from a Isotek Aquarius or Audioquest Niagara 1200 for example (connected to the power output of course)? Or will good powercables be sufficient?

B.

I’ve heard good things about the Audioquest Z3. Not too expensive, but as always, try before you buy.

I use NRG Custom Cables .1 cs. I never A/B tested them with anything. I had them in my monoblocks and simply moved them over to my 8cs when they were installed. I like them as they are very flexible for thick cables.

Interesting video but before watching I was happily dreaming of an upgrade to a pair of ATC scm40a speakers. I was aware of the Grimms, now I want them :frowning:

2 Likes