Dutch & Dutch 8c: pre-Roon Ready thread

I also agree that the speakers are great. I’ve had mine for about a year and a half and although I anxiously wait for Roon integration, they do sound fabulous with a streamer than can run them via AES/EBU so I’m perfectly fine for the time being.

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Why I will not buy Roon

I had the speakers for more than 2 years . And was actually one of the first one in the Nordics who bought a pair.

The DD are fenomenal speakers. And ROON was amazing. I change components almost every two years, like to try out new things in the market.

I understand your frustration tho :slight_smile:

I have managed to rearrange my listening space to make it better (I hope). I have to redo the REW room correction. But am liking it so far. Without any correction it is definitely better than before without correction. Hoping that once I have the correction done it sounds better than before.

The setup is a bit closer to the speakers now and feels almost near-field.

Photos - the actual situation of the speakers is not ideal. But if I have them wider and off the hearth they get quite a bit of sun on them through the morning. I am worried about the rubber on the back speakers perishing.

2 Likes

Avoiding direct sunlight is a universal rule for nearly all electronics (except solar).

Maybe you could install some nice blinds or curtains? To only use during the morning? Then open up after the morning.

Where they are now they don’t get any direct sunlight. So should be ok. Will see how they sound with REW correction. Blinds are a good idea!

1 Like

Very nice. So what rear distance have you put into the speakers: Distance to the hearth or to the wall with the windows? Or half way between?

How can you possibly get a decent stereo image with the speakers so close together relative to your listening position? Surely the speakers and you should form roughly an equilateral triangle? At least try them out the way D&D (and just about everyone else) suggest. Then address the possible issue of sunlight through the windows.

The photos are a wee bit deceptive. The speakers are 2m apart and the listening position is 2.2m from the hearth. So not a too far from an equilateral triangle.

I have used the distance to the cement wall behind - the speakers sit around 2/3 across that wall.

1 Like

Oh, ok, sorry, the photo misled me! And you should be on the edge of your seat anyway if your hifi is sounding good! I’ve always preferred nearfield listening. Many folk in studios would be listening to 8cs even closer than you have them, I think, so I wouldn’t worry about getting close.

Some people are getting beta, so why not let all have beta, with a disclaimer that transfer the responsibility to those who are willing to take the risk?

Because even with that disclaimer, if everyone took the risk and everyone had field issues, can you imagine the stress of the tech support department of D&D trying to help everyone then fix their issues?

A department of maybe a couple people perhaps.

Releasing a beta to everyone is fine for a free product. Not normally done this way for paid products, let alone very expensive products.

More to the point, the beta must have some serious issues, otherwise it wouldn’t be beta anymore.

The fix is still just over the horizon, as it has been for literally years now.

I wonder, which will come first, Roon on the D&D or nuclear fusion?

2 Likes

I can imagine your frustration. D&D have Roon working perfectly, but they have to ‘move’ all the other stuff (e.g. Room matching, REW integration) to the new software platform. They want to do that right including a (very nice!) new UI. This takes (a lot of) time for a small company. I am now using Roon on the D&D’s with a rooDial, which works awesome (see rooDial a Wireless Volume Knob for Roon with Microsoft Surface Dial).

I wonder if that could be made to control the volume in the 8cs directly?

If its controllable in roon then yes it should work

I believe Roon/RAAT is already controlling the internal 8c volume so rooDial would be controlling this (via the Roon API)

My guess is that it only works with the Roon compatible beta-firmware for now (but I’m not sure). With rooDail I can controls both volume etc. when playing music directly from Roon as well as control volume from the D&D input (in my case AES).

It would be great if it was able to control the 8c volume. I will be switching between Roon and analog input and it would be awesome to have the dial for control of the analog volume :slight_smile: