Dutch & Dutch 8c: pre-Roon Ready thread

Hi!

The price difference is there but not much, considering the additional interface through the control.
Hehe taming :slight_smile:
As you see in the review of Mitch, the D&D are tuned based on Floyd Toole (which is the taming). The KII are not tuned this way. Mitch could easily adjust this in his room via the built in tone curve if the KII, but measurements are needed for that to do, verify and every room is different. Sometimes another EQ e.g. via Roon is needed to do so. BTW measurements to tune D&D is also necessary, if you are looking for the perfect Setup. My setup will be done by a friend who knows what to do.

Well, the difference is over 30% (closer to 40% actually) when you compare a pair of 8C to Kii 3 with controller so is quite significant.
I have lots of experience with EQ and/or convolution so if it is simply a question of adjusting the amplitude response it’s easy to do :slight_smile:

Great comparison! I am also considering D&D. You said Kii sounds a little bright/dry. Do you feel D&D’s high a little dim? Thank you.

Hmmm…I would say the D&D sound very nice to the ear out of the box. A sound which is very pleasant, even without adjusting a lot. And if you are listening to them without comparing, you don’t hear the lack of detail immediately comparing to the KII. Just for clarification: D&D are precise, but the KII is a step ahead in detail and clarity. You also need to adjust how to hear lower frequencies. D&D have plenty of emotional bass, which is really nice and warm. The KII presents lower frequency not overwhelmingly, but very precise. If the recording has lower frequency, you hear it. Otherwise not. With KII you need a little bit of “self calibration” to listen to them, because it is very different from what you know is Hifi.
They are both great!

Everyone should listen to both speakers before buying, goes without saying. And we are going to have different things to say.

What made me pick the D&D was the more “organic” sounds. In MY ears the D&D is more balanced and delivers more dynamics.

The soundstage on the D&D is by far the best i have ever heard. the 3D image is crazy. I remember the first time i auditioned the D&D, i looked at my local dealer and asked if he felt the same. The positioning was insane. The KII3 also has crazy soundstage, no single doubt about it.

I am sure you can change the tonality of the speakers, but out of the box the sound of the KII3 is a bit harder at the top. Some like it, some dont.
But don´t for a second believe that means that the KII3 is more detailed than the D&D. Higher, brighter tweeter doesent man more detail, not in my ears. In my ears that means faster listening fatigue.

What i do agree on, the KII3 is a more mature product on the market. It has been around the block for a much longer time. D&D has a lot of catching up to do. Nothing new, KII3 suffered the same problems in the beginning.

@SSK84 Great, i am happy you found what you liked :slight_smile:
Wish you could listen to the D&D8C in my listening room, you would be amazed by the depth of the soundstage :wink: hehe

2 Likes

Yes your are right.
If you only compare the speakers (without remote) the price difference is 20%.

A pair of KII3 without the remote is like a cake with no cherry :relaxed:

1 Like

I can visit you :slight_smile:
Both are great and D&D is price wise more attractive for sure.
I also tuned the treble with the KII to make them sound a little bit more “pleasant” but the details were present even with that settings. IMHO my experience comparing the same song with different tunings. When I mean more details it is not necessarily linked to the brighter tweeter - you just hear more details.
Some guy in Gearslutz tuned both speaker to the same setup with EQ and measurements. His conclusion was the same. But again: It´s a matter of taste and both are great.

That’s right, even if you could adjust almost everything on the back of the speaker, the control is hard not to buy. I think it is very natural that mankind need a knob to turn and hit :wink:

I am happy for you, once again :slight_smile:
You will be happy for many years (until the KII4 comes out :smiley: )
I am waiting for the Roon update, because i want to try the Room correction tool and compare the LAN input VS AES/EBU.

Do you live in Sweden ?

Germany :slight_smile: Not at the corner…but still not impossible!

Yes indeed - upgrades and upgrades. But I think they will try to bring out a more extended “pre-amp” style of thing and a “cheaper” version of the Kii Three.

Yes, i have been waiting a while i must admit. But, once again, not a deal breaker for me. Nice to have, not need to have (ROON)

I have heard that D&D will come out with a “hub/pre-amp” year 2020.
But i think i might buy something before that. Not sure i can wait haha.

Sweden is not far away… but you´ve already made up your mind going with the KII3 :smiley:

Guten nacht !

1 Like

Thanks for your thoughts! Do you realize that you can use the volume control in Roon multiple ways? This includes clicking the plus and minus buttons once to make a very fine 1/100 adjustment, or pressing and holding them to adjust volume more drastically?

1 Like

To be honest: I didn’t know that. You’re right. That’s nice. But again: a separate remote is more convenient than grabbing your tablet, wake it up and adjust the volume. Dimming is also not possible with it (from my knowledge). I think it is a matter of taste and what people are used to.

If I part with my Devialet amp I will miss the remote most. It’s in a separate class compared to anything else.
250Pro_remote

5 Likes

Fair enough! I do see the value of having a remote. I just wanted you to know about the full functionality of the volume control in Roon. It took me quite a while before I discovered those extra ways to use it.

1 Like

hmm… what if they could code this device to adjust the D&D 8C ?
route it ti lanspeaker.com ?

3 Likes

Hey - did he say they were looking at integrating with Roon (at 2:19)? Interesting…

Yep they did. so that will become a cheap effective solution. :slight_smile:

Hmm - perhaps an effective solution, but not a cheap solution I fear…