Dutch & Dutch 8c: pre-Roon Ready thread

Well 319€ is some money, but it’s way cheaper than buying a pre amplifier.
The perfect solution would be to code it so it can change the volume directly from the web browser. In that case, you don’t need roon :slight_smile:

You can control volume from the web browser now.

Not in the way a volume control is supposed to work! Fast and precise adjustment of the over all loudness that you can do on the fly.

OK. Worked for me.

That Senic device looks sweet. Hope they can manage to make a Roon integration!

1 Like

Yes it works, but holding the smartphone or tablet is not my taste + I love to adjust volume a lot :slight_smile:

1 Like

@mitr Boy, it sure would be nice to see a review of the 8C in print soon. :wink::crossed_fingers:t3:

You can go with Mitch‘s review as a start

1 Like

So many thanks for your input…may I ask you on which software you are currently?
I’m also on BETA (1.3.18) but not get Roon working at all with my DD’s

Hallo Jörg!

In my demo I used 3.14. It is still a beta. It is usable with some constrains.

At the end I went with the KIIs.

Thanks!

I have basically two pair of DD 8C’s ( one on 3.18 and the other on 3.12 ) but no way to get it working with Roon :frowning: Maybe the next release will fix it…

I’ve talked many times to the DD guys and they promised a lot (e.g. dedicated control unit, Roon and even more streaming provider support and most important a way to register the speaker in order to extend warranty, so I bought two pairs —> sadly they have delivered until now nothing except one pair with a buggy beta where Roon is not working :frowning:
I’m really pissed off and tempted to sell them in order to move to the KIIs :frowning:

1 Like

I really like the idea of the D&D and the guys behind them. They are very ambitious (which is great). But they promised too much in my opinion. Please really comparison of KII and D&D for more information on sound and usability.
Do you live in Munich? :slight_smile:

Sadly I was not able to test again the KII’s…I’ve tested the DD at home against my VERY expensive audio gear and they simple outperformed all of my stuff --> so it was clear for me to switch to the DD and sell my “old” stuff (since my old stuff was way more expensive, I was able to buy even two pairs :slight_smile: )!

Yes, I live near Munich (around 70km from MUC)

1 Like

Whilst the lack of progress in Roon Ready and the subwoofer output is indeed disappointing, it isn’t a deal breaker for me. My current hifi isn’t Roon Ready either, that’s what a Raspberry Pi with suitable HAT is for! £100 and you are sorted until the software is ready.

I’ve solved the volume control issue with the addition of the Mini-DSP SHD Studio control box–basically a digital preamp. I found using the Dutch & Dutch LAN app to be a clumsy and slow way to adjust volume, and I wanted something right by my hand that could immediately change the volume. I don’t know why the folks at D&D are striving to create their own control box when this product is already available! The Mini-DSP unit’s remote control adjusts the volume in 0.5 dB increments. It acts as a Roon endpoint, and I’m feeding it via its USB input from an Innuos Zenith MkIII (music server and Roon Core/player). It also has S/PDIF, AES, and Toslink inputs, and S/PDIF and AES digital outputs (2 of them, in fact). Needless to say, I’m using the AES outputs to go directly into the speakers. The unit seems to be completely acoustically transparent.

By the way, the Mini-DSP SHD unit also has DIRAC Live room correction technology built in, which I suppose could be a good alternative to the equalization filters that are available in the D&D LAN app; currently, I’m just using the LAN filters.

The MiniDSP SHD Studio, with all these capabilities, costs under $900, which is far less than the Kii Control unit ($1995). I’m using Skylan stands, which, at $560/pr, are considerably less expensive than the Kii stands at $1795/pr. So on a cost basis, the Dutch & Dutch with the MiniDSP unit represent a far better value. The sound? Ah, I’ve never heard anything so wonderful! I heard the Kii 3’s at the Rocky Mountain audio show, but, if my memory serves me correctly, they sounded a bit more “digital” and cool than I like. And, although I still have some “boxes” (the Innuous and the MiniDSP) it’s so nice to be able to sell off all those those amplifiers, preamps and cables I’ll no longer need!

Mark

2 Likes

I agree. I already own a microRendu and a Mutec MC-3. If I get a pair of 8C I’ll use those until Roon Ready is working. The mR/Mutec combo may even give better sound… it does with my Devialet 250 CI.

This is also a very nice unit. Is the Roon feed now 24bit?

1 Like

D&D do their volume control after the DSP and just before the DAC, which is ideal. Your solution is sub-optimal because you are attenuating before D&Ds DSP stage.

1 Like

I also think so.
KII Control is also a Roon Endpoint via USB but it is better when run e.g. Allo DigiOne Signature and good LPS. With an adapter you can use it also with the D&D but no experiences so far.
D&D Solution with Roon is very elegant when it works and sounds good. All in one.

PS: KII don’t want to connect their speakers to the network + the sync between speakers is not supported by Roon actually (no master slave) and is selfmade :wink: It is difficult to maintain correct sync. They would be faster if they would go the more easy and realiable way over an remote and integrate the Roon Endpoint in that. To be honest: the sync stuff over Ethernet is very appealing but does give you no significant advantage imho.

I have heard a different story about the Roon Ready connection to the 8c:

Roon streams to one of the 8c’s in a zone. This master 8c then redistributes the audio (via AES/EBU - my comment) to the other 8c('s) in the group. All 8c’s sync to the master clock.

This info comes from Dutch & Dutch, but it was in October 2018. They may have changed plans and is now trying to sync via the ethernet interfaces. That is an elegant but difficult way to do it.

Believe me, I’ve read every professionally published review of the 8C currently available. Stereophile is just one of my most trusted sources.