Dutch & Dutch 8c: pre-Roon Ready thread

Is it out?

I had them here in April 19 or so…
Sync via Ethernet.
The other way around would be better, but they spend over 2-3 years developing the Ethernet sync method.

Rumor has it the 8C will be reviewed in the “August” issue of Stereophile. That means it should hit subscribers mailboxes around July 10. So I have my fingers crossed that this rumor is accurate.

Yes, judging by the Kii review of Stereophile I have high hopes for the 8c review. The other reviews I like a lot is Mitchco’s at Audiophile Style.

3 Likes

Good point. Later this weekend I’ll listen carefully both ways–with attenuation via the MiniDSP, vs. attenuation via the LAN app (with the MiniDSP running full volume).

Mark

Worked that way for me.

I was also tempted to buy the Mini-DSP SHD but since I own already the NAD MASTER M50.2 as source on my first pair of 8c’s, I’lll very likely go with the NAD C 658 as solution on my second pair of 8C’s (assuming that Roon ready certification will maybe never happen) :frowning:

I am sure Roon Ready will happen. There is just an unfortunate delay. Several promised features are delayed, not just RAAT.

I’d actually prefer this I think. I wonder if both methods are available so one can choose which to use…

I see there is an asterisk by D&D on the list of Roon Ready network partners, signifying “coming soon”. It’s probably been like that for a while now.

1 Like

I thought it only acted as a Roon endpoint via Airplay? I have exactly this setup BTW.

Woot woot! August edition of Stereophile hit my mailbox today. The Dutch & Dutch 8C is indeed reviewed by none other than Kalman Rubinson! Spoiler alert, they get a sterling review. John Atkinson’s measurements also show pretty stellar performance.

4 Likes

Very cool! Any comparison to KII and mentioning of roon? Tried a download but unfortunately not available :frowning:

Soon. The free downloads always appear later than the direct delivery to the paying customers.

2 Likes

@mitr

Thank you for the fantastic review! The conclusion is spot on, and its the reason i bought the D&D almost one year ago.

I´ve had many different speakers along the years matched with alot of different amplifiers and dacs. What the D&D 8C does for the money… its a bargain. Ive never had such a balanced sound in my living room as i have now.

The Dutch and Dutch are indeed the Sweet spot of this new category.

I am also kind of disappointed about all the delays, and what D&D has promised. But for all of you that are thinking to invest in a pair of D&D8C, do it. Dont let the delays be a deal-breaker. This is by far the most fantastic speakers ive ever had. I am looking forward to more reviews on them, to help others with making the decision. They truly are the perfect active DSP powered speakers on the market, today.

/ JD

One of my absolute favorite album.
For those who have the Dutch and Dutch 8C, and for those who will audition them in the future.
Listen to this album, especially the track 23:17! The dynamics are amazing! One of the reasons i fell in love with the 8Cs !

2 Likes

Listening to Nils Fram’s Solo made me realize that the new Grimm subwoofers were in a different league from anything I’d heard before (I love my D & D speakers also)!

1 Like

Yes ! Grimm do amazing speakers as well!
I actually looked at them, but they where a bit to expensive , and you need the subwoofers to be cool :smiley:

Nils Frahm is amazing ! The new album All Melody is also extremely good !

1 Like

To whet your appetite…

I have a ZINIO Stereophile subscription, good value actually.

.sjb

5 Likes

Already red the article. Nice @mitr
As always good to have insights on usability, which is not common in reviews.