Dutch & Dutch 8c: pre-Roon Ready thread

Are these really good speakers?
How do they compare to B&W Formation Duo which are 8k USD less expensive?
Since I own a pair BW Duo, I can tell that these are terrific.
But I am curious to hear how these sound.

Yes. I have a lot of systems pass through my office, but only 3 have had any longevity here. The factors include sound, ease of use, and aesthetics. The 8c’s are 1 of those 3.

It’s not a fair comparison for many reasons. D&D aren’t gouging you, and the Duos aren’t a steal. Things cost what they cost, and it’s a bit unfair to the Duos to compare them to a set of speakers that cost so much more.

That said, I have had both, and I’ve had both in the same room. I needed the sub for the Duo and found them picky about placement in the room. I got them sounding ok in my room, but nothing at all like the 8C, which I found to be easier to place, sound better in my room, and be less troublesome overall (app, Bluetooth, vs solid ethernet).

The really telling part of the 8Cs is that I had them in another room before, where they were up against the Meridian DSP7200. My personal history with the Meridian speakers leans my tastes towards the DSP7200, but I was able to get the 8C to sound very close. There were benefits of the 8Cs and there were benefits to the DSP7200. I know I just told you that you can’t compare $$$$ to $$, but the amazing part there was that the 8cs are a quarter the price of the DSP7200. I was not expecting them to compete, but they held their own. I can’t say that about the Duo, but I wouldn’t expect them to either.

I’d talk about aesthetics, but it would truly be apples and oranges since I had the grey/black Duos and the white/natural 8Cs. The 8Cs are very nice looking, but they are quite large and imposing, whereas the Duos are more svelte. To set some context for my aesthetic tastes, the Devialet Expert 440 + Totem Tribe Tower in glossy white still ranks as my most elegant and beautiful setup.

6 Likes

Thank you for your time!
It is clear and interesting

Surprising that you needed a Sub for the Duos by the way. But it is personal I guess. In my room which is large I managed to place them 60 cm away from the wall and I cannot say that a Sub is needed. Bass is quite booming.

What are the two others?

One other is the Devialet Expert 440 + Totem Tribe Towers and the third is actually a headphone system that swaps based on when I have access, between the Mytek Manhattan II and the Chord Dave, with various headphones from the usual suspects at the high end.

3 Likes

Bonjour, comment relier un NODE2 Ă  mes 8C -
Dans mon systĂšme j’ai un Nucleus pour jouer Quobuz (ce qui represente 90% de mon Ă©coute) mais je souhaite Ă©galement pouvoir jouer spotify facilement pour mes enfants et invitĂ©s et je viens de me souvenir que je possĂ©dait un NODE2 qui est facilement reconnu par l’application spotify
Merci pour votre aide

Hi, how do I connect a NODE2 to my 8C ?
In my system I have a Nucleus to play Quobuz (which represents 90% of my listening) but I also want to be able to play spotify easily for my children and guests and I just remembered that I have a NODE2 which is easily recognized by the spotify application
Thank you for your help

I think this post should help. You should be able to use the coax out from the node to the AES input on the 8c, as was being proposed for the WXC-50.

You would just need to figure out how to do volume control, as I don’t think the Node2 does this (but I could be wrong). So your family would likely need to use the Ascend or Bluesound apps for volume control.

Thank you
An other question : Have you ever noticed audible differences between expensive and cheap RJ45 cables for those connecting the Switch and the 8Cs? ( I hope to have calmed answers
)

I changed all stock ethernet cables, incl the standard cat 5e cables delivered with the 8c’s for Bluejeans cat 6e. Of course some may argue those are not true high end cables, but I do believe if any effect for better cables that still should be audible. For 4 cables, I spend around 100 usd.

I did not really notice any effect, not that I spend any time going back and forth.

Anyone else with same/ opposite experience?

Ethernet cables do not affect sound quality (provided you avoid shielded cables which defeat ethernet’s galvanic isolation). As long as they meet spec, they will get the 1s and 0s from one end to the other without error.

Others, who neither understand TCP/IP packet frame transmission, nor have conducted blind listening tests may disagree

Ethernet cables either work, or they don’t.

That said, BJC do make very nice, affordable cables from Belden bonded pair Cat 6 and they test every cable before shipping it out.

They won’t sound any different, but they’ll guarantee no packet loss.

5 Likes

Seriously, why was this post flagged? I’m dumbfounded

3 Likes

I didnot get a reason why other than it was offensive.
If you wanted to be ridiculous and completely miss the point one could, i guess, assume i was insulting the poster when, in fact, i was speaking only of our human biases. Absurd

1 Like

No offense here cd_gibson!

I did the switch for the reason Graeme mentioned - BJC ensures you dont have a dog cable.
I think people that spend 1000s for cables have a different expectation, if that pays back for them In a D&D set up I dont know

Great - thanks Kim_Binderup for letting me know you understood it was not about you but our brains

Hi anyone using Denafrips GAIA with the Dutch & Dutch 8c? Any improvement on sound quality?

wrong thread

Black on black this time!

6 Likes

4 Likes

I’ve had mine for a few weeks now, and my experience has been in line with the mountain of existing superlative reviews. These speakers are phenomenal.

Gorgeous, easy (non-fatiguing) sound – even with really dense, gritty music (e.g., HEY WHAT by Low). Incredible detail and imaging. And railgun power and precision from the bass.

5 Likes