Dynamic Range discrepancy

I’ve recently ripped a Buddy Holly CD - ‘From The Original Master Tapes’ - to my local library (FLAC 44.1 kHz, 16 bit). This is generally recognised as probably the best sonic reproduction of Buddy’s music (engineered by Steve Hoffman) and, indeed, sounds amazing played via Roon. However, the Dynamic Range of the recording is shown as just 4 in Roon, compared with 11 in other measurements, ie : https://dr.loudness-war.info/?artist=buddy+holly&album=from+the+original+master+tapes.
This seems an odd discrepancy. Any ideas as to the reason for this?

1 Like

Probably same reason as discussed on many existing threads if you search for dynamic range:

… and more.

There’s also a feature suggestion:

3 Likes

DR calculation in general is simply a lousy idea having nothing to do with sound quality or dynamics. It is for people who take mathematic calculations (not even acoustic measurements or psychoacoustical predictions!) as some kind of religion to declare some recordings to be ´halal´, while others are ´haram´. The idea is to fight some kind of artificially created satan called ´loudness war´.

I hope roon management will come to the wise conclusion to completely ditch and remove this audiophile delusion called DR.