Editing Problem with a new Notebook - help please

I’m mystified why I’m unable to edit on this new Lenova - a setting problem somewhere?

The scene: I want to edit a small change on the title of an album.

EDIT → EDIT ALBUM → Edit title - the title appears in the box but is highlighted, ESC will remove that highlighting but it immediately returns whenever any editing is attempted and then deletes the whole line

The same scenario repeats if I attempt to edit the ALBUM ARTIST, The same highlighting occurs and then the whole line deletes. Same thing with attempts to edit a track.

Not the end of the world because I can edit OK on this PC and on another notebook but I cannot see what to do so I can edit on my new toy.

Suggestions?

What model is the Lenovo device, and what operating system does it use?

Lenovo Yoga 7 14IAL7 14-inch 2.8K OLED Notebookn with Windows 11

My other notebook also has Windows 11 with no editing problem

Are you sure that there’s a problem here? This seems to me to be what is expected - and I have the same behaviour on my Windows 11 devices.

1. Go to Edit Album in the Album editor. The initial state of the manual edit field is blank:

1. Click the clipboard icon to fill the edit field with the current album title:

1. Click in the edit field, and the entire string gets selected and highlighted (this is normal behaviour):

1. Click the ESC key and the highlighting disappears. Again, this is normal Windows behaviour - you are cancelling the selection of the character string:

1. Click again in the edit field and the string is selected once more (normal behaviour):

1. Start typing, and the selected string is replaced by what you type - again, this is normal Windows behaviour:

1. Click the Save button and save your edit:

I confess I don’t see what the issue is. Editing is following normal Windows guidelines and behaviour…

One thing, I don’t have a Win machine to verify that this works as expected in Roon, but instead of typing over the whole selected text in the edit box it should also be possible to select just a part of the text to edit it. I suppose with mouse drag or the usual edit keys like Pos1, End, Shift/Ctrl + Arrow keys.

Of course it is…

I figured :slight_smile: Just trying to clarify for @JOHN_COULSON

1 Like

Thanks for taking the trouble with all those screen shots.

What you describe is correct up to as point. But I should be able to alter the the wording rather than retype it all in completely - an edit rather than a replacement.
For example, a common situation is that in the ALBUM ARTIST the orchestra is listed before the conductor. On the other two PCs editing it is simple to change that order - highlight the conductor name, CNTRL X to cut it, move the cursor to before the Orchestra name and CNTRL V pastes it in first. With the Lenova, any attempt at such editing deletes the whole line of text.

It doesn’t sound right. Is this with trackpad or mouse or both? Can you try a different device like mouse if you experienced it only with trackpad, or vice versa?

I’m using a mouse, the same situation as with the other notebook EXCEPT the Lenova screen in also a touchpad - maybe that is why it is different?

I hate the trackpad but find it behaves the same way!

Ah, good point. I don’t have something similar to test, but I would bet this is the cause. I moved this to Support because I think Roon Labs may have to take a look at this, and they don’t usually look here in Roon Software Discussion.

I suspect that you will need to raise this with Lenovo support, rather than Roon Labs support.

I’ve just used my Microsoft Surface tablet (with its typepad and trackpad attached) to reproduce your steps - and it works perfectly. The Surface also has a touchscreen, like the Lenovo.

The Lenovo seems to be the odd one out here - and I doubt that the issue is one that Roon Labs Support can help you with…

And I’ve just used a Lenovo Yoga 910 - 13KB (which also has a touchscreen and keyboard with a trackpad) and this also works perfectly…

I have a Lenova E590.

Instead of pressing ESC to remove the highlighting, I press left click on the trackpad. I can then move the cursor around and partially highlight and cut and paste sections of text.

I do this all the time and didn’t even know that ESC removes the highlighting. My guess is this behaviour is controlled in the trackpad/mouse configuration settings but I never looked.

1 Like

Hi @JOHN_COULSON,
Thanks for writing in to let us know about this issue. Based on the posts by @Geoff_Coupe it seems likely that you will need to go to Lenovo tech support to fix this issue. As a test does text selection and editing work properly in other apps?