Eero Pro mesh wifi (2nd gen) is Da Bomb!

I should probably provide an update…

It appears that the large numbers of people that had problems with IOS 11 devices have had their problems fixed. Eero’s seems to have gotten those bugs squashed. All except for mine.

I’ve spent a great deal of time with their tech support, and - if I’m to believe them - my problem is unique, and of unknown origin. Fortunately it is easily resolved by selecting the “Auto-Join” option for my primary network. Once that’s done, it works like a charm. And I’m delighted that there’s a fix for it, because in every other way, my three Eero’s are working spectacularly.

Can you explain why you don’t like cyber security products? (such as this one)… Eero Plus has actually prevented me from surfing into potentially hazardous sites.

Nothing against cyber security at all. In order to stay safe, I already have and use (and paid for!) 1password, a VPN (that REALLY doesn’t store info), anti-virus, etc AND they travel with me on my notebook. Not tied to my home environment.

Cheers

Thanks Graham. I’ll check that one out. My IPVanish VPN subscription just ran out. Only use to access geolocked sites, but is handy to have. Can it be used in the home environment?

Which VPN are you using with 1password?

Not using VPN specifically with 1Password. I use TunnelBear, $60 per annum unlimited, seems great!

Cheers

1 Like

Well I FINALLY pulled the trigger and installed the Eero Pro system and WOW was that easy, except for my FreeNas Mini box, everything went smooth.
I will tackle the FreeNas later, maybe after I get back from x-mas.

But so far even my old note 3 seems to be rejuvenated by better WiFi. After some testing and time I may need to get my Mom one of these systems.

Anything other than go through the simple setup I should do?

1 Like

Check out the Eero Plus as well. It’s useful.

1 Like

Depending on how you access them, you might want to make some devices have fixed IP addresses, so you always know what it is. That can be done with the “Reservations and Port Forwarding” section of the Advanced Networking tools in the Networking area of the app.

I’ve done that for my NAS, ROCK NUC and a few other devices. That way I can dedicate a tab in my browser, assigning an IP address, and knowing that it will always work. Just a thought.

1 Like

I should mention some additional experiences.

I’ve had problems with my ROCK bouncing it’s connections to my NAS, and at times having throughput on the devices hanging off one of my Eero’s get really hammered. Network speed tests showing downloads of 4 Mbps, when they should have been more like 104 Mbps.

Eero’s tech support has been outstanding. Very, very helpful. And on my third contacted (I used chat sessions), they agreed to replace the offending router. Though on the third contact, they remotely looked at the routers logs and saw that it was defective (details on that interesting, but irrelevant). Which brings me to the negative, and there’s a good bit of that I’m afraid.

First, if you can look at the routers logs Eero? Why did I have to go through three chat sessions before you did that? Nothing changed other than me continuing to come back saying, “The problem’s still there”. Clearly my time is worth less to Eero than their techs’ time.

Second, they can look into my devices remotely? Serious privacy concerns there. By implication, that means they can keep tabs on all my browsing AND see all the traffic on my private home network. Wow! The mind boggles at that one.

Third, they were happy to replace the defective router, but not without an original receipt from purchase! I’m not even sure if that’s legal in the USA. I consider myself lucky that I hung onto that. I’m sure many people will not. There were ways to get a replacement receipt if you used a credit card to purchase it. But it was an enormous hassle, involving going to the store where you bought it. For me, that’s Best Buy at Christmas time. Fat chance of that.

Fourth, they sent me a replacement router, and provided a way for me to easily and conveniently - and at no cost to me - return the defective router. Great. What was not great was an email I got from them informing me that I had 30 days to get the router back to them or they were going to charge me! They do not have any way to charge me - having never given them a credit or debit card. And though they admit that my defective router is defective, they are basically refusing to honor the warranty of a defective router if that router is not returned. Not that i want it. It’s the principle. And the threat of “charging” me somehow.

So. GREAT hardware. Competent, responsive support. But you can get defects AND some shaky questionable business practices (IMO), and a lack of transparency to the fact that your private network is TOTALLY exposed to them. That last part is likely in their user agreement. But who actually reads that fine print?

That’s all a massive turn off.

That access thing isn’t unique to this product. That sort of back door access to will be on pretty much any modern product and, ignoring the Big Brother take on the whole subject, is probably necessary to do any sort of advanced support.

I was an early adopter. I’ve had my setup (first gen) for well over a year. Product continues to be improved upon in firmware releases, support is good, and best of all, it works. Nothing in the wifi world is perfect, but eero is pretty solid.

1 Like

That return approach seems to be standard policy and is better than many, who want to charge and then refund when they receive the item.

My experience with eero is excellent, and the clincher for me was that recent router bug, where i did nothing yet it was all patched and installed way before other manufacturers - who required user intervention to apply the update.

Oh, and they are FAST. Comcast sent me a note this week to say that they had upgraded the service speed. I just ran Speedtest and noted 180mbps on wireless (I MUST NOT exaggerate, it actually only reported 179.98mbps :-))