Endless adding to library

Thank you @Rugby & @Geoff_Coupe for your helpful replies!
@Geoff_Coupe - “Roon Dealer” means my HiFi hardware dealer (i.e. the guy who sold the Roon Nucleus to me here in Munich, Germany, a few months ago).

@dylan For some reason, Roon only shows backups from a g e s ago.
This is the case although the most recent date on my backup files are from Sep 2021. Are the backups lost? Which would mean loosing half a year of tagging…

Also @support @dylan - after starting to use the new RoonServer and stated again to tag stuff, right away the machine became veeeeeery slow, once again!!
Can it be the case that the Nucleus cannot handle tags on 40 k tracks?

Looking at the Dealer locator for Roon, then there appear to be 6 HiFi stores selling Nucleus products in Munich, and 3 of them are categorised as Roon Dealers. I would hope that a Roon Dealer would have some knowledge and expertise about what they were selling, and not just be a box-shifter…

Is every track tagged, or, are the Tags at the album level? And multiple tags per track or album?

@Rugby - given that, unfortunately, all my former tags are gone because of the missing backups, I’ve started from scratch & tagged every track as “nonevaluated”. After listening through my library over time, the plan is to substitute each “nonevaluated”-tag with situational tags (can be anything, mostly for evaluation a song with stars on track-level).
So, to cut a long story short: right now each and every track (on track-level) in my library does have one (and the same) tag.

Hi @Michael_Putz, is there any chance you backed up to another location at any point? If not, it’s unlikely that the backups would be able to be recovered. Can you share some screenshots of what you’re seeing when you select this backup location currently?

How are you adding this tag? Are you selecting albums and tracks and adding them all at once? How many tracks total?

A post was split to a new topic: Endlessly adding music to library

Hi @dylanI‘ve selected all tracks in my library (40,644 in total) and tagged them as „nonvaluated“.
For me this is helpful as a sign that I haven‘t evaluated these tracks regarding „Stars“ (we unfortunately do not have star evaluation for tracks in Roon, but for album only), genre (a genre of a track might significantly differ from the genre of the complete album) or year of recording (especially for compilations, on those we do have different years per track, differ from release year of album)…

Hi @dylan - I do see these date information on the backup on the hard drive (date of creation 8th of Sep 2021):

However, if I choose the 168a6272… file in Settings/Backup in Roon, I do recieve this feedback:

And if I choose Backup, I do see the most recent being from March 2021:

I cannot find any other place, where I might have saved the backups. The machine however told me that the regular backups WERE saved actually. Bi-weekly. Now - gone? Where?

Hi @Michael_Putz, can you zip up the entire Backups folder and upload it here. Thanks!

How were you creating the Zip file? Using the built-in function of Windows?

I think you just have to be patient. You have a large library.

I have around 60,000 tracks in my library, and creating the Zip of the Backups folder using Windows took just over 1 hour to complete, and was around 14GB in size. On my system, the backups are held on a USB drive attached to my ROCK/NUC, so, just like on a Nucleus, there will be extensive network traffic involved in creating the Zip, and this will have an impact on the time taken to create the file.

Hi @dylan - after having massive problems with a windows zip program (I’ve stopped the zipping process there because it took more than 14 hrs for less than the half of the folder size). Instead I’ve uploaded compressed file in RAR. Hope this works.

Also, please drop me a not about the issue "very very slow Roon re: tagging / 40k plus tracks that are taged. Thank you!

Best,
Michael

@Geoff_Coupe, Thank you! It took more than 14 hours for less than the half of the backup size… I have decided to switch to RAR comression instead …

Thanks, @Michael_Putz. We’ll take a look at the backups you uploaded.

Regarding the slowness:

I tried reproducing this with a smaller subset of tracks (I have about 12K) and I couldn’t reproduce this. Are you seeing slowness with everything or specifically with tagging? I’m going to have our QA team try this with a larger library but tagging tracks (regardless of how many) shouldn’t cause any slowness. And you’re not reaching the limit of what the Nucleus is capable of in terms of # of tracks.

After a reboot of the Nucleus does it speed up at all?

Hi @Michael_Putz — I just realized something — In the first screenshots you selected Internal Storage > Backup > 168a6272.... Is there any change at all if you select Internal Storage > Backup > RoonBackups?

@dylan, Thank you for your feedback! No, unfortunately, there is no change. I do recieve the same March 2021 backup options for restoring…:

@dylan, it particularily reflects tagging. Each and every time I want to delete a track related tag…
…it is easy to untick the box
…but it takes almost one minute (45-55 sec) that Roon actually changes the on display, or, if I try to do other changes like editing something or skipping to the next track, this always also takes almost a minute to be possible (i.e. the editing section doesn’t show or the next track simply doesn’t play, it stucks). If I do not skip to the next track, however, the current song I would listen to, continues to play without a problem.

The only two changes I made after I’ve set up the new RoonServer were
a.) tagging each and every track in my library as described
b.) changed the DSP setting for my ProJect Streambox (beacause of the very first troubleshooting post, I’ve send to support in March 2021) - it is like this:

However, if I do change this setting back to normal, I still do have the issues described with tagging tracks - also, just the same after rebooting the Nucleus :-/ …

Hi @dylan,
In addition to what I’ve written in the mail before, I’ve found out, that the slowness happens ONLY after I am changing (tick or untick) the tag “nonvalued” (more or less all of the tracks in my library do have this particular tag).

Is does NOT happen by using tags for tracks: I’ve just found out by giving a defect track in my library the tag “defect”. And right after that the tag was displayed in Roon, also other editing stuff was possible immediatly, also skipping to the next music track was immediatly possible, as it should be. It seems to effect the “nonvaluated” tag, that’s tagged on 40k+ tracks, only…

Thanks, @Michael_Putz. Okay, here’s what I’m hoping we can do:

Can you reproduce the slowness issue when adjusting the tag, make a note of the time it happens, how long it takes, and the name of the track you’re tagging? After that use the directions found here and send over a set of logs to our File Uploader.

We’ll take a look at this issue and the backups and will follow up ASAP after we’ve investigated them both.

Thanks @dylan!
I’ve just send the log files (compr. in RAR).
My notes on this:
At 17:38 today, Oct 21, 2021, Berlin Germany time, I’ve unticked the tag “nonvaluated” for the track “Waltz for Debby [Take 2]” on the Bill Evans Trio album “Waltz for Debby [1962]”, a few seconds later I skipped this track to the next one (“Detour Ahead [Take 2]”) - this process stuck for about 40 sec.
Right after that I did the same procedure, now for track “Detour Ahead [Take 2]” (unticked the box for track tag “nonvaluated”, skipped to the next track, it stuck for about 50 sec. unitil next track was played).

Hope this helps!!

Thanks, @Michael_Putz. I’ve put a ticket in to the QA team and we’ll follow up soon!