Error backing up database - Nucleus+ with USB storage

Hi Chris,

I understand it can be frustrating with bounced emails, but, all support communication will happen in this thread (or other private messages) on the forum. I agree that if that email is no longer viable then any references to it, or support via it, should be removed.

I will ping @benjamin to see if he has any updates.

1 Like

Hey @Chris_Townsend,

Thanks for giving this thread a bump, and thank you @Rugby for the tag! I sincerely apologize for the delay on this issue. We’ve passed your DB along to our dev team, and it is still in their queue for review. I will bring it up to our QA team this week to see what the next steps look like.

In the meantime, have you tried adding another USB drive to your Nucleus to test backing up to another device?

Thanks again Chris :pray:

Another week rolls past with no help from Roon. Seriously guys?

This topic was automatically closed after 45 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hey @Chris_Townsend,

My apologies once again here. I see that your thread is still in the dev queue, and will be addressed as soon as possible.

Were you able to test adding another USB drive to your Nucleus to test backing up to another device?

Let me know, and thank you for your continued patience :pray:

I have tried with three different USB drives, all attached directly. The only difference was which standard of USB they used. The similarity was that none worked.

Hey @Chris_Townsend,

I wanted to give you an update, we have discovered multiple ‘Out of Memory’ errors popping up in your database logs. This is interesting as your Nucleus+ has plenty of space considering the size of your library.

We don’t have a clear next step yet, but it does appear to be a bug of sorts and will need further investigation. We do have movement on it, and I will keep you updated as we learn more.

Thanks again for all your patience :pray:

Three months and still waiting - how much longer do I have to put up with a broken system before I can get some real help from Roon? I’ve paid for a lifetime subscription but clearly not getting the service…

Hey @Chris_Townsend,

You’ve been dilligently patient during the delay in getting you a solution, and I thank you for it. Our developers have continued investigating possible causes of this issue but haven’t yet reached any decisive conclusions. I can assure you this hasn’t been forgotten, but progress is slow.

We’re attempting a new procedure on the database you’ve shared in hopes we can get momentum moving on this issue. I’ll keep you tuned in as things move :pray:

Another question for you - although you’re unable to create backups, you’re still able to stream content from your core, correct?

When it is working, I can stream content. Then at some point when I am not using it, it freezes and the only solution is to restart the Nucleus+.

1 Like

Thanks for letting me know @Chris_Townsend. While our team is investigating this further, I think we should try refreshing your database to see if you continue running into errors with backing up. However, you’d need a semi-recent backup to restore your library settings. How recent is the last successful backup you have saved?

Please access your Web UI to complete this function. You can read more about it here:

I don’t have a single backup available - that’s been the problem. Everywhere that Roon has previously stored a backup, I get this:

Hey @Chris_Townsend,

We have some next steps for you to try, which will involve testing an updated database from our engineers. Steps to follow below:

1. Download the archive here – iCloud.com
  2. Unzip it and take a look inside the folder – the result of this step should be a folder called broker_4.db
  3. Terminate RoonServer
  4. Go to Database location on the Core – Data/RoonServer/Database/Core/user_id
  5. Remove the broker_4.db folder, that is currently there
  6. Take the broker_4.db folder from step #2
  7. Move it to Data/RoonServer/Database/Core/user_id
  8. Launch RoonServer and see if this problem appears again

Let me know if the above makes sense, and if you’re able to give it a go! Thanks, Chris.

Thanks Ben - we may be homing in on the problem. I stopped the RoonServer which is what I assume you mean by terminating it.

Downloaded the archive successfully but on the Core, in the folder location you give, I don’t have a subfolder user_id. This is what I have in the Core.

Can you advise further?

Digging further, there does appear to be a broker_4.db but only in the folder with the long number. Is that what you meant by a user_id?

Hey @Chris_Townsend,

Apologies for the delay - yes you are correct :

That’s the one!

That seems to have done something positive as I now can do a backup which is great. Thank you. Let’s see if that stops the problem with it freezing. I will report back.

2 Likes

So having worked for two months, the problem has come back. I have changed nothing on my setup and I can only think that the updates to Roon that I have accepted in the meantime have triggered this problem again. Please can you fix this? It is incredibly annoying having tor restart the Nucleus every time I want to use it.

Hey @Chris_Townsend,

I’m sorry to hear issues have resurfaced. To be specific, are you running into errors when backing up? Do you have any recent backups that saved successfully?

With this, if you create a new backup directory, does the same issue occur?