Error backing up database - Nucleus+ with USB storage

The last backup I have is in December and when I try to back up, it fails. I haven’t seen the exact moment that it falls, but when I come back to the computer I get a “whoops, somethings gone wrong” message. The backup location is exactly the same - a local USB drive. I added a new network storage location, went through the wait for the snapshotting of the database and have come back to find that whilst there is no error message, there is also no new backup in the new location.

Thanks for letting me know @Chris_Townsend. While we dig into things a bit deeper on our end, I’d be curious to see if you’d be able to setup a network share backup folder via your iMac?

Steps to follow below:

https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/faq-how-do-i-create-a-shared-folder-on-mac-and-add-it-as-a-watched-folder-in-roon

In your case, you wouldn’t be setting up a watched folder, but instead a backup folder. Head into Roon Settings>Backups>View>Add>Browse (and if you’d like to customize your backup schedule)

I just tested this myself and was able to set things up successfully. I added a new folder to my desktop and named it ‘Roonbackups’. Then, made sure to set up the proper share settings on the Mac side. From there, I set up my network path following the below path:

smb://bens-mba/Roonbackups

I also made sure to include the username and password for the device. Let me know if this works!

Thanks Ben - I was able to set up a new share but it still doesn’t seem to want to actually make a new backup. This is what I see.

Thanks for giving that a try! If you click the three dots to the right of your new backup path and select ‘Force backup now’ does it still fail?

That’s when it does its snapshot and then at some point (I have not caught it in the moment) I just find it back at the Home Screen with no backup available. If I have left it alone for a few days (i.e. if we have been away), that’s when it freezes and I get the oops message and have to restart everything. I assume it is because it has tried then to do a scheduled backup but as I am not there, I can’t be certain

Hey @Chris_Townsend,

Thanks for letting me know! As a test, could you reproduce the issue again and share the date and time you start the backup process?

With that, I’m seeing some odd errors around the number of backups saved from your Nucleus. What is the maximum number of backups that you have set to save? What happens if you increase that number by 1?

Thanks Ben - started a backup at 17:35 CET.

and at 17:57 I get this message

and now I need to restart the Nucleus+ as I get the same screen when I shut Roon and restart the programme.
Restarted the Nucleus+ at 17.58 and I get this screen:

Until 18:04 until it springs into life and works properly but with the message:

Hey @Chris_Townsend,

After scanning your recent diagnostic, we can confirm corruption on your database has been found which is most likely causing the issue of not being able to backup.

Because of this, there won’t be any way to save your current database. You mention you have a saved backup from December? As a next step:

• Stop RoonServer from running in Nucleus’s WebUI
  • Navigate to your Nucleus’ Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RoonServer”
  • Rename the “RoonServer” folder to “RoonServer_old”
  • Restart the RoonServer in the WebUI to generate a new Database
    *Here is where you can opt to re-load your backup from December
  • On the Roon Remotes, press “Use another Core” and connect to the new database

After this, you should be able to perform backups. I’m sorry that you’ll have to lose a few months of data in this process. :-1:

Let me know how the above goes.

Thanks Ben - it’s taken a while to get everything up and running but I have done all this, reloaded the December backup and it all seems to be working although I haven’t had a scheduled backup yet. That’ll probably be the acid test…

1 Like

Hey @Chris_Townsend,

Thanks for letting me know! I would go ahead and test out manually performing a backup to either your prior location or again trying out the location on your mac, and see how things go. :pray:

Back up success! I hope it lasts! Thank you.

1 Like

Hey @Chris_Townsend,

I’m glad to hear this! It’s worth noting that if you do run into similar issues again down the road, even in a few months, that could point to a failing SSD in the Nucleus.

Not anything to worry about now, but if things start acting up again, we can definitely help you out with getting a new SSD put into the core if need be.

Feel free to tag me if you do run into any additional questions! I’ll close this thread for now. :+1:

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.