Error message when I specify a location for a Roon Backup via Network Share

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Linux dedicated PC running roon rock

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Rock is on Ethernet as is Windows PC I want to do a Roon Backup to

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

USB DAC from Roon endpoint

Description Of Issue

I want to back Roon up to my PC. I have specified the network path via the Network Share Location as follows \\OfficePC\RoonBackup. But I get Unexpected Error everytime. WIth the office PC I am logged on as Admin. So I tried putting “Admin” into the Username box but still I get the “Unexpected Error”. How do I backup to my PC?

I use SMB/CIFS to backup from my Core (Linux) to my NAS (Synology). I set up a new user account (“Roon”) on the NAS with a suitable password, and a network share owned by that user. I used the account name and password when I set up the backup target on Roon. I don’t have a Windows machine to experiment with, but I assume Windows has account permissions and security that prevent another machine from writing to a network share unless it is properly logged in, and there’s a way to set up the correct accounts and share permissions on Windows for that purpose.

Please try using the ip address instead of “OfficePC”, so you’ll end up with something like: \\192.168.10.11\RoonBackup

1 Like

Hi @Duckworp,

I’d verify that you set up the Windows share correctly, this guide provides more detailed instructions on how to do so: Sharing Folders on Windows 10

Thanks @noris this worked and I can now backup to my C: drive on my Windows PC. Do you know if it is possible to set a network path up to my One Drive? I have tried but I get a result “Failed to get authorisation to your account” in a red box on roon.

Try this:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.