Error: "Too many errors. Stopping playback."

Roon Core Machine

Windows PC with Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Optiplex 5060.
Intel Core i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20 GHz, 16.0 GB RAM.
3 TB of FLAC files, stored on an external HDD.
Qobuz subscription linked to Roon.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

The audio output is to a Bose speaker system for PC, it’s connect via USB.
Basically, it’s a fancy pair of computer speakers with a subwoofer to beef up the overall signal. Not very complicated; no separate DAC and no separate streamer.

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

After many restarts, I have yet to hear any music through the Roon interface. Each and every time I hit “play,” I receive the message

“Too many errors. Stopping playback.”

(Before installing Roon yesterday, I have used Audirvana on the same PC with the same setup with generally few problems. I am reluctant to delete Audirvana because at least it works, unlike Roon.)

Ideas?

If I remember correctly, the issue here is that Bose USB systems present themselves as multichannel devices. The solution is to configure it in Roon as a 5.1 channel device – see here:

2 Likes

I appreciate the input–but I cannot find your audio device setup screen. I am seeing this:

Any ideas? Please bear with me–I am brand-new to Roon and not all that proficient with Windows settings at this level of sophistication. Thank you for taking time to help!!! Very grateful and am looking forward to figuring Roon out!

That screenshot is from Windows. You need to go to Roon’s settings in the Roon app. Settings > Audio

1 Like

Ah, will try that–thank you!!!

I did try this with no success.

My device settings screen on the Roon app does not seem to have the downmix option:

That screen should be scrollable - scroll down to reveal the Advanced settings section - open it (click on the arrown) and scroll down further…

1 Like

Okay, I got it–under “advanced settings.” It’s working!!! Thank you!!!

1 Like

RBM/Rene: I got it–under “advanced settings.” It’s working!!! Thank you!!!

1 Like

Great news, David. Time to enjoy the music, I guess. :smiley:

1 Like

Exactly!!! Although half the fun is solving these problems :rofl: :rofl:

Yep, that works–Roon has a new user-interface but I am getting there. Thank you so much!!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.