EtherREGEN versus direct network cable

Well here’s one. Even though I also like to try some controversial tweaks with my system and have found some of them beneficial, I have also measured my system with UMIK-1 + REW. Based on that I’ve made two corrections to the FR under 100hz and uploaded these as convolution filter to Roon DSP. I did try to EQ 20-200hz and 20-20000hz also but it sounded best to my ears to just fix the only real problem I had with the room mode at ~36hz and slightly adjust the peak at 65-75hz.

The first picture is a raw measurement and the second picture is a predicted FR with the EQ settings I’ve made so it’s not an actual measurement after the EQ was done.

My Measurements are made with moving microphone method according to these instructions: A guide how to do room correction and use it in Roon

The speakers measured are ATC SCM50ASL measured in a ~30m2 room with all surfaces solid concrete. The graphs show the average of L and R channels. The room has some modest amount of acoustic treatment and bass traps but could do with more obviously. I think that the FR looks quite good above 100hz and under that there are some room related problems. Those dips in bass range are extremely difficult to solve with acoustic treatment and I don’t want to boost them with REW either. According to some sources, boosting is not recommended at all with DSP. I did try it and preferred the sound without any boosts. Subjectively my setup sounds better than ever now.

4 Likes