EtherREGEN versus direct network cable

I don’t know for clothe of an emperor but I know that new iteration of ER is on the way.
Please don’t be shy to check it once it comes out.

No thanks. My 80s ghetto blaster has great imaging without it.

1 Like

etherREGEN’s customers may believe in the product’s magical capabilities, but the measurements say otherwise:

You can say what you like about ASR, but measurements don’t lie. Noise was no lower with the EtherREGEN than without.

Kinda lays waste to their claims of reducing noise doesn’t it?

7 Likes

So, let me get this straight. The whole point of the ER is that it’s supposed to eliminate noise, thereby improving SQ. But, as @Graeme_Finlayson has pointed out, it utterly fails to do so … and costs $640.

As has also been pointed out, this is a fool’s errand from the outset, because any half decent DAC can reject noise, thereby rendering the ER pointless (leaving aside the fact that it doesn’t do what it claims to do).

So what will the new iteration do? Does it finally manage to reject the irrelevant noise thereby continuing to make no difference to EQ, or will it claim to do something hitherto unimagined by even the most ardent of audiophools?

Either way - snake oil.

2 Likes

On a practical note, under current energy costs, does it cause higher energy use, in turn, continuing to cost you money whilst not actually bringing any SQ benefits?

2 Likes

Wait a minute…This topić has started on July 2020 and since then You haven’t listened it yet!How is it possible?
I carefully read Your posto and appreciate Your knowledge regarding this matter but I’d really prefer to read Your findings and not ones from ASR after listening session spent with eR.

But science is science.

There’s no hope for you believers…

1 Like

I like the report, but I suggest that you test again with a “good” power supply, just forget ER/EE or netgear or cisco switch, just test the power supplies, and you will see…

And explain to me in quantifiable terms how a power supply can affect the data passing through an ethernet switch.

So basically any standard power supply that came with the manufacturer’s product?

Some power supplies are noisy, some are quiet, and they emit RFI, noises via switch, cables, make their way to the DAC, some of which are quite susceptible to those noses.

But not the power supplies included with the major manufacturers products. They will be fine, that’s why they included them in the box see. Unless they are broken, then, an Amazon basics will do all that is required.

noise will not make it to the DAC unless you are committing “dumbassery of the first order” by using shielded patch leads. Remember the basic principles of galvanic isolation in Ethernet ports.

1 Like

Yes, but not a lot can tell the differences or understand the meaning of shielded or unshielded, cat 6 or cat 6a or cat 7, 8, etc.

1 Like

If they can’t understand the differences between cable categories, they have no place discussing the relative merits, or otherwise of ethernet equipment…

1 Like

Then don’t use shielded. It’s intended for data centre use only, not in consumer usage.

Every. Damn. Time. “Pertness and ignorance may ask a question in three lines, which it will cost learning and ingenuity thirty pages to answer. When this is done, the same question shall be triumphantly asked again the next year, as if nothing had ever been written upon the subject. And as people in general, for one reason or another, like short objections better than long answers, in this mode of disputation (if it can be styled such) the odds must ever be against us; and we must be content with those for our friends who have honesty and erudition, candor and patience, to study both sides of the question.

2 Likes

But they have the right to do streaming, so your job is to educate them, not talking down, or being stubborn in your view. :slight_smile:

1 Like

As @ElTel just said, “Pertness and ignorance may ask a question in three lines, which it will cost learning and ingenuity thirty pages to answer. When this is done, the same question shall be triumphantly asked again the next year, as if nothing had ever been written upon the subject.

Given that these threads go round and round in circles, with erudite and detailed replies every five minutes or so, it’s no wonder that a degree of ‘talking down’ creeps into the conversation. You can’t educate people who stubbornly and arrogantly refuse to learn.

2 Likes

If someone wants to partake in a discussion about networking, I expect them to have a grasp of the rudimentary basics.

You wouldn’t enter into a discussion with a renderer about the relative merits of a purely cementitious based render over a cement/hydrated lime based render or vice versa if you’d never picked up a trowel or float in your life.

I’m not talking down or being stubborn here. The ill-informed are making fanciful claims that confound the scientific and engineering principles that enable the very means by which they are arguing (i.e. the internet) to function!

Oh, the irony…

6 Likes