Exclusive mode and volume control iMac

I have the same problem when using exclusive mode on an iMac and I think it should be fixed.

Hi Michael, I moved the post so that support would see it, they would not have noticed it as a response to a 2016 thread.

To assist them, can you detail your system and issue here.

Hi,

Your topic was moved to the support section of the forum, let see if @support can help.

In order for Roon’s @support team to better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so they can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

1 Like

I have roon core set up on a separate server. I run a pair of powered speakers from my computer and also a separate DAC that goes to a headphone amplifier. The powered speakers are set up in non exclusive mode so I can change the volume from the computer. The DAC is run in exclusive mode. Every time I change back to the speakers from the DAC the volume on the speakers has been changed to maximum volume and I have to think to lower it before I play something or I’m blasted out of the room with the high volume.

Hi @Michael_Kegan ,

Can you please provide the model/manufacturer for the following devices?

Also, if you can provide the following, it would help us better understand your setup:

Roon Core Machine

Include your operating system and machine info (Model, CPU, RAM)

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Your network gear (model of routers/switches) and if on WiFi/Ethernet

Connected Audio Devices

Specify what devices you’re using and their connection types, like USB/HDMI/Chromecast, etc.)

Number of Tracks in Library

Tell us how large your music library is, eg. “30,000 tracks”

Thanks!

The roon core is running of a sonic transporter from small green computers. This is not the problem since the problem existed when I was running the roon core from my iMac as well.

The powered speakers are Vanatoo Encore Ones. They are connected by USB. I use them also for output from my iMac.

I also have a SMSL SU8 DAC connected to the iMac via USB. This is the only roon endpoint that I use exclusive mode and I use the volume wheel on the amp connected to the DAC.

The roon core machine is a sonic transporter (gen2) it is running a linux core and roon. Once again the core machine is not the problem since the same problem occurs if I’m running the roon core on my 2017 iMac 5K with 32 Gb of ram and a 4.2 Ghz i7.

I have a TP link mesh router. The sonic orbiter is wired to the network with an ethernet cable to the principal router of the mesh system.

I have a small library with less than 7000 tracks.

Actually the problem occurs in two different ways. If I play roon to my speakers which are not in exclusive mode when I stop roon and switch back to my iMac the volume slider on the iMac goes up to full volume. The 2nd way is if I play to my headphone DAC in exclusive mode when I stop roon and switch back the volume slider on the iMac is a full volume.

I hope this helps you fix the problem.

Hello @Michael_Kegan ,

Thank you for sharing those details and apologies for the slow response here, I missed your follow-up message until now.

So you are saying that it is just the iMac zone that increases to full volume? Volume is stored on a per-zone basis, so seeing different volumes is not too unexpected. Are you by any chance increasing your Mac volume in other ways before switching back to that zone (using Mac touchbar/hotkeys)?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.