Hi @Dylan, I’m having similar problems with slow searches. Should I follow the same test procedure and report back, or would it be easier to handle it as a separate ticket?
I’ve moved your report over to it’s own thread so our team can take a closer look at what you’re experiencing.
So we can better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.
Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.
Yes, the next time that you’re in this state where things seem slow, I was hoping you could also perform the following test. Please make a note of the time that you start the test and how long each step takes:
- Run a speed test here and report your results in your response
- Open Overview page.
- Open Discover page.
- Perform a search for “The Beatles”.
- Open “The Beatles” artist page.
- Open the “Help!” album page.
- Start playback of “Help!” (how long does it take before it plays?).
- Search for “Daft Punk”.
- Open the “Daft Punk” artist page.
- Open the “Random Access Memories” album page.
- Start playback of “Random Access Memories”.
Respond here with the times for each and the time that you started (and your timezone). I’ll pass these results along to the team to aid in their investigation.
The setup is as follows:
- ISP HyperOptic (100Mb both ways)
- Server is MacMini Late 2012, 2.5GHz i5, 8GB memory, 256GB SSD, library on 2.5" disc. Running 10.14. The machine is running only Roon server and Plex server (not active)
- Connection to client is via Powerline and 802.11n (5GHz)
- Client is MacBook Air 1.6GHz i5, 8GB, 256GB SSD
- Roon is up to date (1.6 build 401) on both machines
- DNS is 184.108.40.206 (Cloudflare)
Network checks from:
- Server: 108.03 Mb/s up, 107.84 Mb/s down, 31ms latency roundtrip, jitter 78ms
- Client: 106.45 Mb/s up, 80.59 Mb/s down, 35ms latency roundtrip, jitter 295ms
- Search for The Beatles: 59s
- The album is currently not available from Tidal
- Search for Daft Punk: 33s
- Playback starts in 1s (local copy)
Hope this helps!
Thanks for performing the tests, @IanM!
Outside of searches are you experiencing any other slow behavior (loading pages, starting playback, adding items to library, etc.)?
Does rebooting your Core machine yield any improvements to the slow behavior?
Yes, rebooting helped. Two improvements in fact: find times came down to around 1 second, but also The Beatles track is now available (I have a sneaky suspicion it was there all along!).
For full background, the reboot was as a result of me upgrading the OS to 10.4.4 - so the environment is not the same.
Also, during the search slow behaviour other behaviours did not seem to be affected, no.
I’ll keep an eye out for changes.
Thanks for the info, @IanM!
Do you experience the same slow search behavior with other remotes besides the MacBook Air? How is the MacBook connected to the network?
Hi @Dylan, I’ll go and check with an iPad but on the way I just started the client on my MacBook Air and it got stuck waiting for the server to get going. I bumped the server by starting a Plex session on it and Roon finally came up but with “No Audio Devices Found”. Whilst writing this message the laptop has lost the connection to the server again. And then it found. And then it lost it again. Eventually when it found it it also recognised the audio zones again! And now it seems to be more stable. However, at the same time it became stable I had just logged into the server machine remotely to reboot Roon.
I suspect the most recent version of MacOS is not ideal for a headless server as the network seems to have a tendency to go to sleep a bit more than it used to (more power saving probably).
I wanted to reach out because we’ve just released Roon 1.6 (Build 416). This update includes a fix for some performance problems we believe may be causing some users to experience slowness in Roon. Please give Roon an update and let us know if things have improved for you.
You can read the full release notes here:
Thanks. I’m afraid it doesn’t seem to have done anything to improve search times - a couple of random groups (Rush, Throwing Muses) took >30s each.
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.