Export/New Folder Not Working [Resolved]

I tried exporting an album my Mac internal drive, selected New Folder, named it Roon Test Export, and hit Export. No joy: image

Then, I abandoned the new folder idea and reset the destination folder to the existing “Downloads”. No problem.

Inference: Roon can’t created new folders, at least in this instance.

Thought you’d want to know.

Hi @John_V ---- Thank you for the report and sharing this observation you have made with us. The feedback is always appreciated!

Moving forward, I just ran a quick test on the MacBook Air (High Sierra)(v1.4 build300) I have at my desk to see if I can reproduce this behavior you are experiencing during export and I had no issue creating a folder or exporting (screenshots below):

44 PM


More info: here’s the New Folder window:

Could the problem be that my source files are on an external ROCK drive? No SMB connection?

Thanks for getting back to me @John_V, the feedback is appreciated!

Continuing forward, I re-ran my previous test and this time I had a NUC hosting ROCK with an external storage device mounted to it as well as having some content on the internal storage of the unit. In both cases I was able to create new folders/export from the same MacBook Air acting as a remote device.

23 PM

In light of the above, may I kindly ask you to please provide me with the following:

  • A brief but accurate description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

  • Can you please reproduce the issue once more and note the time when you receive the mentioned warning message. Once I have this information I will enable diagnostics on your account so our techs can have a closer look into this behavior.


At 17:41, I tried and failed to create a new folder:

I am running a NUC Rock, with an 8TB external drive holding Storage. Everything except my MB Pro (control) is wired to a network driven by a Nighthawk 8000P Router. The Roon signal path is Rock>Router>Nighthawk Access Point>Ropieee DigiOne>Yggy new.


At 19:30, I tried again using the destination parent folder as shown (picture taken midway to a successful conclusion):

Finally, here are the control’s specs:


I checked the router’s status shown below:
I’ve updated the firmware, and retried the new folder export at 19:41 with no success still.

I’d be interested if you find out anything. Thanks.

One other thing eric. After the experimenting and on to other stuff, I looked in the Trash and found the missing Folders. So, it created them, but threw them away? These kind of questions are why you make the big chips! Good luck.

Thanks for the follow up @John_V!

Now that I have the requested time frames (thank you again) I have enabled the mentioned diagnostics on your account. What this action will do is the next time that Roon is active on your core machine a diagnostics report containing a set of your Roon logs will automatically be generated/uploaded to our servers. I will keep an eye out for the upload and will touch base again once it has come in so you know we have it.


UPDATE: Looks like we got the report :sunglasses: Passing over to our techs for review.

Do you want me to try the new folder again?

Hi @John_V ----- I think we have what we need, thanks!


Hi @John_V ----- Thank you again for your continued feedback and patience while our techs have been evaluating the information in the received diagnostics report.

As per the teams request would you kindly perform the following procedure:

  • Please reproduce the issue.

  • Once reproduced, please launch “terminal”.

  • When the “terminal” window is open please and run the following commands in this order:

    ls -la Downloads/ToDo\ Files/ | grep -i ‘.roon*’

    • After the command has been run please share the terminal output with us.

    ls -la Downloads/ | grep -i ‘.roon*’

    • After the command has been run please share the terminal output with us.

Looking forward to your feedback!

Fixed! Please don’t tell my you didn’t change anything. Anyway, tried it on both a 'Test 2_16" folder and last time’s faulty "ToDo folder. Both were successful. Here’s the terminal shot:


I swear I didn’t make this up :slight_smile:

Thanks for the follow up @John_V and providing the results of the requested test.

While I wish we could take some credit here :wink: nothing has been changed on our end, but I am pleased to hear that export is working as expected. I am going to be closing out this thread and listing it as “resolved”, but, if anything comes up again in regard to this behavior please just drop me a PM and I will be glad to reopen for troubleshooting.

Happy listening!