External hard drive advice, please

Roon Core Machine

Apple MacBook Pro (15" 2017)

Cataline 10.15.7

3.1 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

16GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Virgin Media Hub 3 connected to laptop via ethernet.

Connected Audio Devices

Raspberry Pi 4b with Allo BOSS DAC connected to router via ethernet & to analogue amp via standard phono.

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Hi all.

I recently bought a tiny 10TB external SSD.

Up until now I’ve been keeping my music on a 4TB hard drive but I needed something bigger.

The “normal” hard drive has been working perfectly. If I forced a rescan it would set to & be done in under a minute.

What I decided to do was to remove one folder from the 4TB drive’s Roon folder & add the same folder to the 10TB drive’s Roon folder.

It’s a 565GB folder & it took overnight to copy across but it seems to have copied successfully. It mounts okay & I can see the files in the finder. I’ve added the 10TB drive to Roon & it seems to have scanned it successfully & says it’s now “watching for new files in real time”.

The problem is that Roon has had the spinning circle icon for a couple of hours now & none of the albums in the moved folder have appeared yet.

Is this just a matter of patience, do we know? It is a big folder, after all. Or should things happen quicker than this & it’s a sign that the hard drive I bought is sub-standard?

Is there anything “known” about external hard drives that might point me to an answer as to what exactly is happening, based on past experience, etc.

Thanks.

At what point did you unmount the original drive in roon?

Oh, I haven’t. The original drive has most of my library on it. I just moved one folder across to the new drive & removed it from the old drive, launched Roon & added the new drive to my devices.

I’ve noticed a tiny red light on the new drive that is flashing away, so it seems to be doing something.

I wonder if the fact that the new drive doesn’t its own power supply & is powered by the laptop, might be my problem?

Have you rebooted everything?

Hmm, good question. I rebooted the laptop last night to get the new drive to mount & I’ve restarted Roon several times since. I go ahead & do it all at once.

Do you have “Show hidden tracks and albums” turned on or off? If it’s off, Roon may well not show the new albums as they’re duplicating the albums on the mounted 4TB drive.

If it is turned off, try turning it on. Alternatively, unmount the 4TB drive and they may well show up.

Well, I removed the folder in question from one drive before I added it to the new drive, so there was no duplication as such.

After re-booting & having no luck, I decided to re-introduce the folder to the original drive & as soon as I did that, the album total started climbing the way I would’ve expected with the new drive.

It’s still chugging away - it’s a lot of data, after all - but it’s getting there.

I’ll do additional experiments with the new drive, but with much smaller amounts of data, once everything’s back to normal, I think.

Thanks for the replies. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Tiny is a relative term, not saying much. There are usually standard form-factors for things such as common storage devices for PCs and for a 10TB device I would expect something on the “larger” side of external SSD storage devices.

Also a quick search and look-up of the first page of results turned up nothing for me. A quick calculation in my head resulted in a price of about $1000 for such an SSD, assuming that size would be on sale. Sounds like a lot of money for the task at hand - I would have a hard time to justify half that money for it.

So what brand/model is this? Where do you get it from? Can it possibly be that you just fall for a cheap scam (If it sounds to good to be true, then it’s mostly not true)?

All good points.

By “tiny” I mean about 100mm long, 37mm wide & 10mm thick.

It was very similar to one of these:

I was expecting it to possibly be either a scam or too good to be true but for twenty quid I figured it worth a punt. Turns out that it works perfectly well as a 10TB external hard drive for everything else I’ve tried it on (documents, images, etc.). It just doesn’t seem to work in providing files to Roon. It’s very, very slow when copying any files on to it, so maybe it’s just not up to the task.

Anyways, I’ve bought a “proper” stand alone 18TB hard drive (because you’re quite right, good high capacity SSD drives would be megabucks) with its own power supply which I’m about to connect up.

I’m hoping that’s problem solved.

Thanks. :slight_smile:

You mean for approximately 1 document or 1 image. I would totally expect that for 10 TB you were
a) still copying data because

b) that “thing” wouldn’t pass verification of the just copied 10TB of data because it’s a total SCAM. You can’t even get a naked 10TB HDD for that price, which everyone knows, is the cheaper technology than SSD. Maybe it may pass as a 100GB thumb-drive. See also (this somehow familiar looking 2TB SSD which was also not worth it’s money):

I copied a 560+GB folder onto it to test it with Roon & that took all night to copy. The files were all there. I could open them & edit them.

Anyway, lesson learned.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.