Fan Spinning and Case Warm on New ROCK NUC12WSHi7 - Need Advice (ref#GWEML1)

Full form submission

What’s happening?

Something else

How can we help?

None of the above

Other options

I don't like how the product works

I’ve just upgraded my ROCK to NUC12WSHi7 from NUC7i7BNH as my library is expanding, 135k tracks at present.
I’m concerned though that my brand new ROCK’s fan seems to be spinning up when idle and the top of the case is warm.
I have set fans to quiet in BIOS. This doesn’t seem right. Please advise.

135 k tracks is a lot of tracks , is the new server analysing the files from scratch ?

That will put stress on th CPU and cause the fan to run , but it will stop soon.

Check Settings>Library

Eventually the Analyzing Message will go away, if it doesn’t then try a reboot, one trick is to set the No Of Cores to Max overnight and drop back to say 4 during “Listening Hours”

1 Like

Thanks but no. I migrated my database and files intact so there was no need to reanalyse.

I use minimal DSP to usually just one endpoint at a time. I can’t think why this would put any strain at all on a Gen 12 i7 - and why would it need cooling when it hasn’t been in use for over 5 hours - which is what happened this morning?

Roon could still be re-indexing, it certainly needs to update 135000 file paths which will take a while. I have a 13i5, and heard the fan ramp up periodically (still annoying), so I set ‘quiet’ mode in the bios and never heard it again. I also didn’t really notice any performance hit as a consequence.

I’m not home now to check but as far as I’m aware the transfer was a lift & shift - as far as Roon is concerned nothing has changed - there was little to no activity after the transplant

I did reinstall Roon OS to make sure it saw the new hardware but all file paths will be the same.

No, it’s going to run through all the files and directories indexing and updating the database as it goes. If there’s a match in the restored db, it will update and move on, if not, it’ll reach out to Roons servers.

1 Like

What restored DB? The whole thing was a physical transplant - I didn’t copy or move, in the data sense, any files.
Having done this a few times, I know what a reindex looks like and one wasn’t necessary on this occasion

Just so this doesn’t get closed - I’m still having the issue where the fan in my NUC is spinning when idle - and always starts spinning on my first interaction of the day no matter how trivial that interaction might be

This never happened with my 8th gen NUC

Hi @MrDenis,

Thanks for writing in to let us know about this issue. I think the next step here is to enable some diagnostics on your account so our technical staff can get some more insight into what’s going on here.

However, before I enable this feature, I’d like to ask for your help in ensuring we gather the right information.

First, can you please reproduce the issue once more and note the time at which the error occurs? Then respond here with that time, and I’ll make sure we review the diagnostics related to that timestamp.

Hi Daniel,

Sorry for not replying sooner. I’d realised I only had 8GB of RAM in my new NUC and am awaiting another 8GB stick to bring it up to spec. The first thing to say is yesterday’s update seems to have significantly improved things. I still get some fan noise on first daily interaction and when browsing a bookmark with 1000+ tagged albums but it is a magnitude quieter now and doesn’t detract from my enjoyment of the Roon experience as it had done previously. Might this be down to improved utilisation of multi-core? Given the fan noise is now that much quieter, I’ll hopefully not notice any activity when idle either.

If you do want to continue to investigate further I can tell you that on Monday 1st April at 08.55 BST my Roon had a bit of a wobble but I wasn’t in the same room when it happened so can’t comment on fan noise.

I’m glad you’ve seen significant improvement since the release. Hopefully, the extra RAM will take care of any remaining issues.

Hi Daniel,

So I upgraded the RAM to 16GB earlier - have just been sitting in the room with the server idle and at 14:19 BST the fan suddenly started spinning at high speed

Is it possible to investigate this please

@MrDenis yes we will investigate this

Hi @MrDenis,
We had an update with the metadata improver that triggered a higher-than-average server load. So this may calm down on its own. If nothing has improved in the next day or so let us know.

Thanks for the info @daniel

Do you know where I can turn off auto-update? If I can disable that then I’d know any high-fan noise must be caused by something else

You can turn off automatic updates by going to settings → about then clicking the cog wheel next to your server. Then click “Ask before downloading any updates”.

I seem to be missing a cog?

I found the cog in OSX - odd that it’s not available in iPadOS

At 13.05 BST today just opening the app on my iPhone caused another full speed fan event before I did any searches

I noticed the same a few days ago and couldn’t remember if it was there on the iPad before, but I think it was. In any case it should be, because for someone with just an iPad that would be the only way to change the setting.

@daniel is this a bug?

@Suedkiez you are correct this is a bug. Thanks for the report!

1 Like