Fatal Error Could not create required lock file (MacOS 13.4.1) [Investigating]

I’m getting the Fatal Error when Opening Roon on my 2018 Mac Mini running 13.4.1. The terminal commands listed in older discussions regarding this problem did not fix the problem.

I think it began when I added a local music folder on my Mac to find music. My main music folder has always been on my NAS. I removed the local folder as a Roon music folder but that didn’t help either.

Thanks

1 Like

Hello @James_England and welcome to the forum.

See here, maybe this helps you too:

PS: This and more similar threads can be easily found using the forum search.

Hi @James_England,

Thank you for the report.

We are tracking what appears to be a rare but ongoing instance of this fatal error. Are you also able to elaborate on the following?

1. Open Activity Monitor and see if there are Roon-related processes still following. If so, what happens if you terminate them? Does Roon launch properly on the next attempt?

2. Navigate to your Mac’s .tmp folder (Go → /tmp) and clear any .lck file associated with Roon.

We’ll let you know as we learn more. Thanks!

1 Like

I have the same issue. Fatal error Could not create required lock file.
However I have not added anything. Haven’t used Roon in a few months. Also on an older MacBook.

This is the first time James_England has posted — let’s welcome them to our community!

James_England

20d

I’m getting the Fatal Error when Opening Roon on my 2018 Mac Mini running 13.4.1. The terminal commands listed in older discussions regarding this problem did not fix the problem.

I think it began when I added a local music folder on my Mac to find music. My main music folder has always been on my NAS. I removed the local folder as a Roon music folder but that didn’t help either.

Thanks

• created

20d

• [

last reply

](/t/fatal-error-could-not-create-required-lock-file-macos-13-4-1-investigating/248128/7)

1m

replies

BlackJackRegular

20d

Hello @James_England and welcome to the forum.

See here, maybe this helps you too:

PS: This and more similar threads can be easily found using the forum search.

connorRoon Staff: Technical Support

18d

Hi @James_England,

Thank you for the report.

We are tracking what appears to be a rare but ongoing instance of this fatal error. Are you also able to elaborate on the following?

1. Open Activity Monitor and see if there are Roon-related processes still following. If so, what happens if you terminate them? Does Roon launch properly on the next attempt?
  2. Navigate to your Mac’s .tmp folder (Go → /tmp) and clear any .lck file associated with Roon.

We’ll let you know as we learn more. Thanks!

17 days later

Hi Connor,

I have the same issue. Fatal error Could not create required lock file.
However I have not added anything. Haven’t used Roon in a few months. Also on an older MacBook. Just discovered today.
Strangely I’m also a James in uk but in Scotland.
Thanks

I’ve been getting this error periodically on macOS13.4.1 and now on 13.5. I fix the issue by quitting and restarting Roon server. It’s an easy fix, but kinda annoying to have to do. The next time it happens I will try the terminal fix to see if that is permanent.

I just had the same Fatal Error message when launching Roon (2.0 - build 1311 - production - remote) on macOS Sonoma (14.0) on a MacBook Pro. My Roon Core (2.0 - build 1321 - early access) is on a sonicTransporter.

I was able to resolve the issue by quitting Roon Bridge which I also have installed for when I want to use my MacBook Pro as a headless endpoint.

The only recent change I made was upgrading to macOS Sonoma. Otherwise this setup has worked perfectly for years.

Note: Since upgrading to Sonoma, by portable DAC/amp (FiiO Q5s) does not appear in macOS when plugged in despite my efforts to troubleshoot it. I only mention this in case it might be a cause for Roon Bridge potentially getting in an unusual state.

Edit: Note that after quitting Roon Bridge and getting Roon to launch properly. I quite Roon, restarted Roon Bridge and tried to launch Roon again and it was successful.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.