File or Qobuz loading slowly ONLY ON ANDROID DEVICES

Running Android 11 on a Samsung Galaxy Tab A and Android 9 on a Motorola Moto G6 phone. Cleared the cache and even uninstalled and reinstalled Roon.

Audio device is set to “Default Output” in Roon. Is that the same on your Android device?

What if you try a higher spec android device? Could be the antenna?

Yep you can’t change that. Left it running for an hour no hiccups on my old pixel 4 which is on 12 and it runs no issues on my Hiby DAP which is 8. Both these devices are connected via 5ghz Wi-Fi though.I would say it’s the devices Wi-Fi that’s suspect being on 2.4ghz.

So I just went into the router config and disabled the 2.4GHz band. Both devices now connected at 5GHz. Same problem. This is what my WiFi config looks like (I’m Homestead)

I’m the only 5GHz WiFi around. So it can’t possibly be a WiFi issue.

It’s a puzzle but it’s specific to your devices and isn’t across everything as I can stream to Android with no issues.

I wonder if something in RAAT server has got screwed up this controls endpoints. You can try changing the RAATServer folder and see if that helps. Stop Roon then rename it to RAATServer_old and then restart. It will remove all your settings so you will have to set them again.

Also the Roon cache is worth clearing. This is in RoonServer folder again stop Roon then delete then rename to cache_old and restart.

After the restart as long as all is back up and running you can delete the _old folders or revert them back if nothing helped, remembering to stop again first.

Thanks. I’ll give that a try.

I agree that it must be something related to my specific Roon Core installation, otherwise there would be hundreds of instances of this.

I was thinking that I could also install a completely separate Roon Core on my Windows desktop PC and see if I can stream successfully to the Android devices from there. If that works then I will know the problem is with the Roon Core config on my Innuos Zen server - but your suggestion sounds quicker and easier.

Today’s latest experiment, I have just now:

Disabled Roon on my Innuos server and shut it down.
Downloaded Roon Server for Windows and installed on my desktop PC
Logged in and registered this new Roon server as my Core
Pointed my Android tablet Roon Remote app at the new Core
Streamed a local music file to the tablet
Stops after 5 seconds, exactly as before.

My conclusion is that the problem MUST be with the Android app, as I have now eliminated every other possibility.

I think I have the exact same issue also with a Samsung tablet and Motorola phone, Android 10. My wifi is not particularly slow or congested (I checked) but the mobiles are using 2.4 GHz when the issue happens, and this is probably marginal in real-world situations with Roon PCM.

As was suggested previously in the thread, the problem seems to occur nearly exclusively with Roon, probably because of the decoded PCM being over the threshold of reliable bandwidth, and made worse by Roon’s behavior of jumping to the next track too quickly.

Streaming Qobuz via the same wifi to the same devices, dropouts happen occasionally but rarely, I suppose because the FLAC data rate is lower than RAAT. And if it happens, there is a short Qobuz dropout but then it continues with the same track. Roon jumps to the next track in the queue, making it much worse.

Like the OP, I don’t experience that problem with the laptop, but this only controls the main streamer, which is hard wired. I am also NOT experiencing the problem when using the mobiles to control my main streamer.

I DO experience the problem with the mobiles when streaming TO the mobiles, i.e., because I use the mobile with my Bluetooth headphones. This obviously places more demands on wifi:

• The data is actually sent by wifi to the mobiles, using PCM
  • The mobile streams Bluetooth to the headphones which might congest the 2.4GHz wifi spectrum more
  • The sample rate conversion to 48 might play a role? (IIRC this happens on the core before sending to the mobile, so would increase PCM data rate even more)
  • It does not matter how good the wifi signal looks in the phone notification. I have the issue when out on the terrace with 50% wifi according to the notification, but also when next to the router with 100% wifi in the notification

I am using Roon Rock (supported NUC, 10th gen i5), Fritzbox router that supports 2.4 and 5, but the Motorola phone can only do 2.4, and the tablet can do 5 as well but rarely chooses it even if close to router.

Thanks @Suedkiez for your feedback. Interesting that you have the same problem as me and also use a Samsung tablet and Motorola phone.

However, are you saying you ONLY have the problem when another device is streaming videos? I get the problem ALL the time without fail. Before this started happening it always worked 100% - never any dropouts and still does when streaming to my laptop, or not using Roon.

Also I examined my WiFi in depth and even switched to 5GHz but made absolutely no difference. I even took my router to a friend’s house and tried it over his WiFi and the same problem. Yet when my neighbour comes round with his iPad it works fine. So I’m 100% convinced this is not a WiFi problem.

By the way, I also normally use Bluetooth headphones but not for any of these tests - always just using the device’s speaker, so Bluetooth congestion is not a possibility.

I haven’t tried with video streaming over wifi in parallel.

What I was trying to say was that I only have the problem when I use the Roon remote on the mobile to stream from the Roon core TO the Roon remote zone on the mobile device. I.e., because the mobile is then connected to Bluetooth headphones.

This way, the Roon core actually sends the music data as PCM via wifi to the mobile’s Roon zone.

I don’t have the problem when controlling my hard wired main streamer either with the laptop or the mobile remotes, but in this case obviously no music data is ever streaming via wifi.
(I haven’t yet tried streaming from Core to the laptop’s local Roon zone)

I am also not convinced that it isn’t an issue with the Android remotes. Even if bandwidth over 2.4 GHz wifi is limited, my wifi scanner on the mobile tells me that it never dropped below 20 Mbps, and one would think that this should be sufficient

Hi @Ian_Pickering,

I’ve pulled logs from your remote named moto g6 on Android 9. Your issues are being caused by dropped connections - it’s a network issue. There may be something that’s making your android remotes more susceptible to dropouts but it’s not an issue with the Android Roon Remote app.

So why did it work fine when my neighbour brought his iPad over? And why do I get the same problem when I go to my friend’s house and use his network?

Can you be sure it’s not the App that is dropping the connection?

Can you look at mine as well? Thanks. That’s a Moto G8 and a Samsung Galaxy A 10.1, both with Android 10. I tried playing on Sunday afternoon / early evening (CET) with several attempts using the Roon remote until I gave up and used something else that uses less bandwidth and that worked

@Suedkiez Thanks for clarifying your problem above. It does sound a lot like my issue.

Could you just also please confirm that you have exactly the same symptoms as me: ie playback always stops a few seconds into the track, rather than intermittent drop outs at random times?

Absolutely, that’s what I think I was seeing. I was close to using a stop watch on Sunday afternoon because it felt curiously consistent. I was about to start documenting this more rigorously on Sunday, but then I remembered that it was a Sunday afternoon that I should be spending differently

Ha ha! Maybe I need to get a life too :slight_smile:

Looks like there are now several other reports of similar problems on the support forum.

Perhaps Roon Support should start looking into this a bit more diligently rather than fobbing off customers with “it’s a problem with your network” excuses.

1 Like

So having eliminated my network config as a probable cause of this issue (checked everything, problem still occurs when using my Android remotes on a friend’s home network, problem goes away when using a neighbour’s iPad on my home network), does anyone have any other suggestions of how I might troubleshoot this?

I can only think of getting someone else to come and try using Roon Remote on a different Android device.

See below a comprehensive overview of all the different scenarios I have tested so far.

Thanks again for everyone’s help with this stubborn issue!

1 Like

I’ve been too busy but hopefully find the time on the weekend to try this with the laptop (wired rock > streaming over wifi to laptop > Bluetooth to headphones), which is the only other option I have readily available. Will post when I know :slight_smile:

Just a suggestion to try if nothing else helps :frowning:

I have to admit that I never could imagine that a simple factory reset would solve all problems.
And even today I still don’t understand how it worked? :slight_smile:
But one thing is certain - I put the phone back into operation as a Roon remote - that there hasn’t been a single problem with Roon since then.

1 Like